Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shed rebuilt and fully functional

I lost my workshop to a fire last year. Some slag from the welder (should have stuck to woodwork) bounced into woodheap and smoldered for 6 hours before it went up late at night. I'd been in the workshop for 2 hours after welding and didn't see or smell a thing.
    The insurance paid for everything and I am now well ahead. A lot of things could be restored, with a lot of effort, and as a result I was able to spend the insurance money to upgrade. With the new tools I also had to redesign the layout to fit them in, so took the opportunity to improve on past mistakes. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until I was just about finished! Although not finished, I still have a lot of things to be cleaned and installed, it is now fully functional.
    Due to lack of room I went for a mezzanine type shelving arrangement hung off the roof framing. A lot of things go up there, including the router table. I also mounted my SCMS with stand on a braced frame (just slides on)above the table saw. It can be used up there for simple cuts, but I take it down for the large work. The table saw pulls out into the middle of my workshop when I want to use it with DC duct attached.
    My DC system is a simple 1hp unit connected to the 2 stage bin, gates and a lot of bundled up hoses that stretch out as required. I'd be lucky if I got 30% effeciency. That's how I found this forum, trying to find out what was wrong with it. After reading the many threads on DC systems, I now intend to redo it and build a cyclone while I am at it (a post for another day?).
    I have a garden shed next to the workshop, so I used materials from the old workshop to build a storage rack in the useless space between them.
    Before anyone jumps on the "blue", it was my son's request. Last year was a really bad year for me and he has stuck by me like glue - its the least I could do. My father died, then my 2nd wife left maxing out the morgage account (while I was at the funeral), mangled my ankle, the workshop caught fire (re-broke my ankle kicking the roller door in), then my dog died. It if wasn't for my son I'd be hangin by the rafters. The blue certainly brightens up he place and I've got used to it.
    Neil

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The other photos
    Neil

At least the blue brightens things up and in the end a shed is not meant to be a fashion piece. IMHO it looks fine, but I would hate to see my little corner of the back yard up in flames. After the year you've had I guess a distraction like the rebuild would be a welcome exercise.

JohnC

Neil, Sorry to hear about all your bad luck I would be really devastated if my shed burnt down as there are items that just cannot be replaced. But glad to see that your workshop is fully functional again. Looks like you have done a great job setting out your workshop with the space you have. The blue cupboards do brighten up the workshop nicely.
    Regards
    Al .

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it.

Gidday Niel

What a great comeback.............Hang in there the best is yet to come!!!!!.........can't wait to see some posts of your first project outta the RE VAmped Shed

REgards Lou
    Just Do The Best You Can With What You HAve At The Time

Gidday,

Ditto re your hard luck. Hope things are better for you from now on.

If you want to know a bit more about Cyclone construction, check my site for the short version (link is below on my tag line).

For the full, original version, check out Bill Pentz's site in the USA. http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

btw: I also think the Blue looks good.
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/

Sorry to hear about all your bad news of last year Neil. It sounds as if your beginning to bounce back and the new shed is looking good, not to mention that lovely Jet equipment youve got for yourself.

Had you found this forum prior to buiding the new shed you would have been aware of correct protocol regarding colour scheme, which Im sure you are now aware should have been Orange and White. I just hope that Surdee doesnt see this post

Nice hearing from you and enjoy your new shed and the new kit.
    regards,beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Quote Originally Posted by beejay1
    Had you found this forum prior to buiding the new shed you would have been aware of correct protocol regarding colour scheme, which Im sure you are now aware should have been Orange and White. I just hope that Sturdee doesnt see this post
    No worries mate, blue is okay to. Especially as it has a deep meaning to you.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I'm glad you are getting it sorted out.

BTW Beejay I am slowly phasing out the orange and in with the Carbatec blue or brown or green or black and maybe even a nice grey. What else is can you do when Triton becomes a GMC company.

Peter.

Smile

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Wayne - Yes I have seen both yours and Bill sites - excellent reading and back ground. I have also glanced at the many many threads on DC units and cyclones. I was debating on building my own large cyclone, but your mini cyclone and Echnidna's set-up with the 1hp DC has given me the inspiration to redo mine using what I've got.

I spent today making a cyclone based on a 100mm pipe system and approximately 200mm diameter outer upper cylinder from Bill's design spreadsheet. I used aluminium sheet & pop rivets rather than steel, because I had some, but it was very soft. Made bending easy, but kinked even easier. I had heaps of trouble with the ramp, but nothing a little silicon didn't fix. Its all finished apart form joining the cone to the upper cyclinder. Like Echnidna's set-up, I intend running the PVC piping on the outside of my shed.

I'll should finish it in a few weeks time and post some pics if it works. Next weekend is the show & I panned to spend the weekend in Bris, so that takes priority.

Cheers
    Neil

Congrats on bouncing back, your workshop has come up a treat.

Ps, How do you do rip cuts on your bandsaw with it in the corner like that?

Carbatec sounds pretty good to me I am day dreaming about the TSC 10 HB but don't have the budget as yet.

Sorry to hear about all your bad luck sounds like the wife deserved to be in the shed when it went up. Don't think insurance will get you a new one of those though.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    No worries mate, blue is okay to. Especially as it has a deep meaning to you.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I'm glad you are getting it sorted out.

BTW Beejay I am slowly phasing out the orange and in with the Carbatec blue or brown or green or black and maybe even a nice grey. What else is can you do when Triton becomes a GMC company.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436
    ...sounds like the wife deserved to be in the shed when it went up. Don't think insurance will get you a new one of those though.
    Stevo,

Even if it did, the problem with Insurance is that they would replace with the same model
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei
    I spent today making a cyclone based on a 100mm pipe system and approximately 200mm diameter outer upper cylinder from Bill's design spreadsheet. I used aluminium sheet & pop rivets rather than steel, because I had some, but it was very soft. Made bending easy, but kinked even easier. I had heaps of trouble with the ramp, but nothing a little silicon didn't fix. Its all finished apart form joining the cone to the upper cyclinder. Like Echnidna's set-up, I intend running the PVC piping on the outside of my shed.

I'll should finish it in a few weeks time and post some pics if it works. Next weekend is the show & I panned to spend the weekend in Bris, so that takes priority.

Cheers
    Neil,

That sounds alright for a mini-cyclone powered by a Vac Cleaner (too small for even a 1hp DC).

I'll be at the show on Saturday I think - I will be wearing a UBeaut 'Foilie' cap I hope. Might see you and, hopefully, lots of the others.
    Wayne

Looks like some good has come out of your bad run. After looking at that blue, I can only say that you must really love that lad of yours. Sounds as though he is special
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Even if it did, the problem with Insurance is that they would replace with the same model
    Wayne "what about the new for old policy"
    Regards
    Al .

You don't know, what you don't know, until you know it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast