Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shop Notes 92- Dust Free Blade Cover Plans Anyone?

Hi,
    I need to make a blade guard with dust extraction to replace the crappy guard on my Luna 12" TS. I like the look of the design presented in Shop Notes Issue 92. Unfortunately you can't buy individual issues of Shop Notes online. You either have to buy all issues on a DVD or subscribe to their online library. I don't want to spend that much for one set of plans.

Do any of you guys have this issue and would be kind enough to scan and email it to me?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jack620 View Post
    Hi,
    I need to make a blade guard with dust extraction to replace the crappy guard on my Luna 12" TS. I like the look of the design presented in Shop Notes Issue 92. Unfortunately you can't buy individual issues of Shop Notes online. You either have to buy all issues on a DVD or subscribe to their online library. I don't want to spend that much for one set of plans.

Do any of you guys have this issue and would be kind enough to scan and email it to me?

Cheers,
    Chris
    PM Sent.... Check your Private Messages ....

Regards,

Roy
    Manufacturer of the Finest Quality Off-Cuts.

Chris,

As mentioned in my PM, BobL has provided some suggestions for the design of overheard blade guard dust capture. The following Post is one that I found and provided lots of info that may be relevant to the Shopnotes version; https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...ad+blade+guard

Roy
    Manufacturer of the Finest Quality Off-Cuts.

Thanks for your PM Roy. I'm working on it.

Shouldn't the hose on the top be above the back-centre of the blade where dust is sent up, rather than at the front where dust is sent down?

I dunno elan. My experience is the fine excess dust comes forward. My dust extractor catches the heavy sawdust from underneath the table. It's the very fine stuff which ends up in my face (esp MDF) that I want to catch. I'll be hooking my Festool DE to the saw guard.

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    Shouldn't the hose on the top be above the back-centre of the blade where dust is sent up, rather than at the front where dust is sent down?
    Nope, the guard and bald combine to generate a NEGATIVE air pressure at the back thereby sucking air and dust into the hood.
    In contrast at the from the spinning blade slams air and dust down onto the wood and table and (generates a Positive pressure) spraying dust and air it out like a fan.
    SO the location to place the port is above this area, to reduce the dust spray.

As well as Rays lead to my posts above have a look at the pictures in this thread and thereafter
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...08#post1552508

May sure you gread through to the photos showing the air patterns generated by the pink wool test strips like this
    Air speeds in and around duct openings and blades (NB Invisible dust discussed)-tsonanddcoff-jpg

Back to the OP.
    That guard has some pros and cons.

It does collect the air at the right place

The worst thing is you cannot see what is going on - change the front to something transparent
    Use of a vacuum cleaner size hose is not going to capture much (especially fine) dust
    The design seals the guard to the good so air cannot flow to scavenge fine dust - not that much fine dust is going to be captured anyway with a vacuum cleaner.

Have a look at how Lucky Duck did his and also consider using Bristle edges to collect more air.

Quote Originally Posted by jack620 View Post
    I dunno elan. My experience is the fine excess dust comes forward. My dust extractor catches the heavy sawdust from underneath the table. It's the very fine stuff which ends up in my face (esp MDF) that I want to catch. I'll be hooking my Festool DE to the saw guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Nope, the guard and bald combine to generate a NEGATIVE air pressure at the back thereby sucking air and dust into the hood.
    In contrast at the from the spinning blade slams air and dust down onto the wood and table and (generates a Positive pressure) spraying dust and air it out like a fan.
    SO the try is to place the port above this ares to reduce the dust spray.
    Oh OK
    I'll be back in my corner if anyone needs me

Default Shop Notes 92- Dust Free Blade Cover Plans Anyone?

The worst thing is you cannot see what is going on - change the front to something transparent
    Use of a vacuum cleaner size hose is not going to capture much (especially fine) dust
    I've never understood the need some blokes have to see the cut taking place. I set my fence to give me the width of cut I want and push the wood through. It comes out the other side at the desired width. If I'm cutting to a line, I align the blade with the line and set the stop on the sliding carriage before switching the saw on. Both techniques allow me to keep my eyes on where my hands are. As some sage woody once said: "nobody deliberately cuts their own thumbs off".

I will be using the 50mm hose on my Festool vac. It generates an impressive amount of suction. I'm hopeful it will gather most of the fine stuff. I'll look at adding bristle edges as you suggest to improve airflow.

Chris

[QUOTE=jack620;1867421]I've never understood the need some blokes have to see the cut taking place. I set my fence to give me the width of cut I want and push the wood through. It comes out the other side at the desired width. If I'm cutting to a line, I align the blade with the line and set the stop on the sliding carriage before switching the saw on.

That's a good point and a good way of operating but I'm not that trustworthy of my gear. What inevitably happens to me is in between when I set the fence or set to a line and start the cut, something just nudges something and I end up cutting that important piece of wood too short Someone with wood to spare can cut another piece of wood but I'm not usually in that position.

Both techniques allow me to keep my eyes on where my hands are. As some sage woody once said: "nobody deliberately cuts their own thumbs off".
    In OHS parlance, where possible it's best practice to be able to see both, body parts and their position in relation to the body part cutter.

BTW a 50 mm hose will make no difference as no shop vac clean can compete with the air speeds and dust volumes generated by a saw blade.

BTW a 50 mm hose will make no difference as no shop vac clean can compete with the air speeds and dust volumes generated by a saw blade.
    That begs the question- how does the dust extraction on a circular saw like the Festool TS55 work? I believe that saw leaves negligible dust when connected to a Festool vac. And that's with a 27mm hose.

In any case, what are my options? If I take a 50mm branch off my 2hp dust extractor then surely I will have even less suction, as the 100mm port will have the lion's share of the airflow?

The design seals the guard to the good (sic) so air cannot flow to scavenge fine dust..
    On closer inspection of the design, I see there's an opening at the rear of the guard that's at least as big as the opening in the shop-vac fitting that serves as the extractor port. There should be plenty of airflow from rear to front (i.e. in the same direction as the airflow generated by the blade).

Hello, Im new to this forum. Im finally investing in proper Dust collection and Im beginning the fit out my tools with proper ports etc. I would like to build the Shop Notes Vol 92 table saw dust extraction guard. I looked into getting them from ShopNotes but I have to purchase the entire Digital collection. too much money. would anyone have those plans handy by chance?. much appreciated.

SO the location to place the port is above this area, to reduce the dust spray.

As well as Rays lead to my posts above have a look at the pictures in this thread and thereafter
    Air speeds in and around duct openings and blades (NB Invisible dust discussed)

May sure you gread through to the photos showing the air patterns generated by the pink wool test strips like this
    Air speeds in and around duct openings and blades (NB Invisible dust discussed)-tsonanddcoff-jpg

Back to the OP.
    That guard has some pros and cons.

It does collect the air at the right place

The design seals the guard to the good so air cannot flow to scavenge fine dust - not that much fine dust is going to be captured anyway with a vacuum cleaner.

Have a look at how Lucky Duck did his and also consider using Bristle edges to collect more air.
    Gunner T, have a read of the quoted post from Bob L and go to the link he put up.
    CHRIS

Have sent you a PM GunnerT

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerT View Post
    Hello, Im new to this forum. Im finally investing in proper Dust collection and Im beginning the fit out my tools with proper ports etc. I would like to build the Shop Notes Vol 92 table saw dust extraction guard. I looked into getting them from ShopNotes but I have to purchase the entire Digital collection. too much money. would anyone have those plans handy by chance?. much appreciated.
    I was looking at the same design and went to shop notes - too expensive. I did a search for images on google and found some that I could use to make my own.
    There is a post on mine and tests I carried out.

Installing my Dusty - WIP

Starts at post 53

Mine mounts differently but works great as the Youtube clips show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast