Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pricing your Toys

Hi Guys,

A question to all the toy makers out there who sell their creations (i.e. at markets etc..) ...... how do you go about pricing your creations given you could never be compensated for your time.

Is there a formula you use, say "'Z' x material costs" or just pluck a number out of the air?

Also, of natural finished or painted toys .... which are more appealing to your customers?

Cheers,
    TheSmo

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by thesmo View Post
    Hi Guys,

A question to all the toy makers out there who sell their creations (i.e. at markets etc..) ...... how do you go about pricing your creations given you could never be compensated for your time.

Is there a formula you use, say "'Z' x material costs" or just pluck a number out of the air?

Also, of natural finished or painted toys .... which are more appealing to your customers?

Cheers,
    TheSmo
    I have seen toys & toys both on the internet and a markets; some intricate models sell for thousands while small colourfull cars, trucks & dolly thing will sell from $40 to $60.
    A gent I spoke to at one market said he was working for less than $0.50 per hour but at least it gave him funds for the next lot of toys.
    It is as you suggest a really difficult call; I did sell one of my toy garages for $50 and thought that was okay.
    I think it's a matter of were you are trying to do the selling and who's buying.
    The long and short of it, is if the sell too quick your price is too low BUT if you aren't selling your price may be too high.
    Do some internet searches under wooden toys for sale, that might also help.
    Just my two bob's worth..
    Oh, nearly forgot...I like the natural timber look with a mix of Aussie hardwoods but the children are drawn to bright colours!!
    Cheers, crowie

Default Ohh A subject close to my empty pocket :/

Hi,
    I started selling natural timber toys at the markets in Atherton Nth. Qld. 23 years ago. ""Tableland Timber Toys"" ....cool name I thought.
    Anyhoo 23 years later I'm selling the same toys for the same price and it's a real struggle to sell them today.
    Everywhere you go there are imported painted toys from SE Asia that last a week and are discarded like the plastic ones.
    The elderly are my best customers, they appreciate the work that goes into a well constructed wooden toy and it reminds them of their childhood.
    One of my Spitfires sold for $90.00 but it took 2 days to make. You have to have a range of toys from $1.00 to $300.00 to cover costs at the markets these days.
    Customers would love to buy the $50.00 toy but these days will buy the $8.00 toy to keep little Johnny happy.
    Average Stall at Eumundi ( Very well known market in SE QLD )$68.00 for the site , then you have to have public liability insurance. The struggling craftsman can't afford those fees anymore.
    The best toys to sell are natural timber with a dark colour like Silky Oak , Red Cedar etc. you get a better price for those. Hardwoods are out.
    Pine toys don't sell as well. I only put one coat of sanding sealer on them and then a quick light sand with fine grade sandpaper. Keep it a low cost finish.
    On average I charge approx $10.00 's an hour for a toy. $50 is about the max people will pay for a well made wooden toy from a local craftsman. Mostly people just love to look at them. I wish I had a $1 for every compliment.
    I don't do the markets much anymore. Things are tight all over and sales are down. I've tried to sell all sorts of wooden toys recently even painted ones but to no avail.
    Better days are coming I'm sure, just not today.
    Here are a few examples of the prices I charge and the time it takes to make them.

DSCF2899.JPGTractor and trailer $35.00 about 3-4 hours work
    DSCF3314.jpgsmall car $8.00 with turned wheels about an hour
    DSCF5673.jpg$60.00 for a bi plane - about a days work
    DSCF5705.jpg$8.00 each - less than an hours work on each one
    Fred Flintstone car.jpg$30.00 It's unusual so anything really different bump up the price a little. They sell because their unique.
    truck with drums.JPG$45.00 about 4 hours work
    DSCF3437.jpgThese are popular, I sell them for $50.00 a set - , this took about 4 hours work or more.
    DSCF5988.jpg$200.00 for a castle - about 1 and 1/2 days work ...I sold them 23 years ago for $150.00
    DSCF5965.jpg$250.00 for this tree house - a day and 1/2 to build - they sell on the internet for up to $300 with far less features.
    DSCF2971.jpgA kitchen setting - 50cents for a small cupboard to $3.50 for the sink wich takes about 20 min to make
    DSCF2995.jpgbath $8.00 and the toilet $6.00 which is hand carved from one piece of wood
    DSCF3029.jpgdoll house about 6-7 hours work and sells for around $150
    DSCF3291.jpg$10.00
    DSCF3294.jpgfrom $2.00 to $3.50 each
    DSCF3295.jpg$10.00 each about 20 - 30 minutes work
    DSCF3312.jpglounge $12.00 a set of 4
    DSCF3897.jpgraised lid piano $15.00 a bit of fiddly work here and an hours work
    table and 6 chairs.JPG$12.00 for table and 6 chairs
    upright piano.JPG$10.00 for an upright piano about an hours work from start to finish
    welsh dresser.JPGwelsh dresser with 2 draws $15.00 - my most expensive doll house furniture- made from red cedar - a good hours work
    wood burning stove.JPGstoves $8.00 I sold them 23 years ago for $6.00 ea.
    Panorama pomona markets.jpg At the markets

I hope I've been of some help to you all.
    regards
    The Cooroy Toymaker
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Handmade Wooden toys Sunshine Coast Queensland

Thank you for your replies.

Cooroy Toymaker - that was exactly the type of answer I was after, especially from someone who has walked down this path.

You have given some wonderful valid points, and lots to think about that's for sure.

I guess the ideal scenario would be to make enough $$$ to keep the hobby going.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmo View Post
    Hi Guys,

Cheers,
    TheSmo
    As it is (in my view) impossible to price toys for the amount of work you put in it, I price them as I think they might sale. For an example: if you look at the thread "exhibition" , the small cars and planes I charge at € 25, the larger ones like the Alien series go at € 40 and the Pirate ship got sold for € 75. The exchange is more-or-less € 1 for 1.5 AuD. I've noticed that if you price them higher, you don't sell. At these prices I make a bit of money to keep my hobby going.

Greetings, Leo
    If enlightment is not where you are standing, where will you look?
    Zen-Master Dogen