Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kamusur View Post
    Your right Bill, but i still reckon the underlying motive is one of help even if the outcome is the opposite and it sure is a shame when its us and them. Sometimes i get the feeling that all is not well even in the acoustic builders ranks, what with there's Dreadnought builders and then the rest and we better be on the lookout out for uke builders as well

Steve
    I guess I`m in trouble then. I build Ukes, Accoustics,Electrics and have built a Stave snare drum.

Ross

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ball Peen View Post
    The amount of info available today on building solid bodys, acoustics, pickups, wiring, fretting ect is really overwhelming. The real secret ( for me ) is sifting thru it all and finding out what works for me. A person doesn't even have to ask noob questions, just mine the archives of the many luthier sites.
    I agree completely Bill. Being new to building I've found an abundance of information but there are a lot of differing opinions and methods that have kept me from making a confident decision at times.

Denim.

Denim, i reckon what Bill said bout finding what works for each individual unlocks the secret for everybody. For me sometimes an hour in the shed teaches me more than a week on the net though.

You better look out Ross they'll hunt you down,,no just kiddin.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    Hmmm.. sounds like a dumb attitude to me. I didn't realise it was only open to acoustics
    The decision is a practical one. How feasible is it to have potential customers evaluating the sound of an acoustic with someone at the next table thrashing away on an electric.......it just ain't gonna work.

Secret societies? Good grief, some of you need to spend more time in the workshop and less time letting your imaginations run away on you.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo View Post
    The decision is a practical one. How feasible is it to have potential customers evaluating the sound of an acoustic with someone at the next table thrashing away on an electric.......it just ain't gonna work.

Secret societies? Good grief, some of you need to spend more time in the workshop and less time letting your imaginations run away on you.
    Get a room, off to the side, and set up amplifiers in there. The range of venues available for this type of event is mind boggling. I just hosted a show with Andrew Ellis (acoustics). He signed on a couple of my clients, and I got a couple of his. We did $60k between us on the day, in two hours. We were officially 'sold out' for new orders prior to the show. If you wanted to try a guitar, you could only do that if you pre-ordered your ticket. We didnt go in thinking 'I wonder if people will turn up?' but rather "there are this many people that want to try this type of instrument". Hell, we even charged MORE, if you wanted to discuss an order on the day... you had to pay extra for that privilege. People interested in custom made guitars, or those that already have one, will be much more open to buying from another maker. They are pre-conditioned. They 'get it'. Diversifying the client base can only expand it. An expanded client base allows you to niche down. Fighting over the same people wont.

I've travelled extensively throughout Australia, and the USA, meeting guitar makers. Im very open and honest about my business, how I run it, and how I do things. The same can't be said for the majority of acoustic makers Ive met. They'll have no trouble asking questions, but arent too forthcoming with answers. We aren't in competition, but we can certainly learn from each other. Ive had one guy, visit my workshop to buy some bits and pieces, ask a million questions, only to turn around and say "I dont really have the time, but you can organise an appointment with me, or email me your questions and I'll see what I will answer" when I asked him about his jigs (which are totally irrelevant to my business anyway, and was only asking because he mentioned he has trouble with them!). Two way discussion is healthy. Hell, I remember another one, nylon maker: "How the hell have you got so many sales and orders? I can only get enough work for 2 days a week, after 23 years" I asked him how he markets himself, what does his logo look like, where does he advertise? Reply: "I'm not too comfortable talking about those things..."

I will never, ever build acoustic instruments. But I have a lot to offer on efficiency, marketing, sales, suppliers, workflow and jigs.

Ive tried the "Im happy to spill my guts on the table. Be an open book. No subject is off limits". But it has to work both ways. They can pay my consulting fees now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12