Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Where do I find Plans?

Hi,

I am Stonecutter but I would like to be a wood cutter. I have recently found myself with a little extra time on my hands and would like to start making wooden toys for my boys. I have no artistic flare or creativity! A somewhat major setback in my ambitions.

As I am new to this, does anybody know of a place I can by Plans or kits from?

Any advice would be great.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Stonecutter" and IMHO the toy section has some top woodworkers.
    You'll find a heap of helpful and knowledgeable blokes & ladies and for most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork, especially WIP photos as everyone loves a photo.
    Now to the plans...
    First the internet has a stack of few toy making plans;
    you can buy some great toymaking books secondhand [cheaply] on Amazon
    and the like plus there are companies like Toys & Joys.
    The other place to try is your local library;
    but also have a look through the toymaking section of the WWF were you'll get a heap of ideas.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork/toymaking.
    Cheers, crowie

PS - Were abouts in the great state of Queensland do you live as there are a few toymakers up there.
    Also boys are a lot easier to make wooden toys for....trucks, trucks and trucks....

Default toy plans

Hi, Here is a link to an Aussie site which has plans which have step by step instructions with pictures, full size patterns which you cut out and lay on your timber than trace around. Really easy to get going on your project quickly. Many people on the forums have made toys from the plans and the feedback has always been great.

Wooden Trucks Plans and Patterns for wooden toys Enjoy Making Wooden Toys

Phil

Default Thanks Prime mover

Hey, Thank you for replying to my question. I did have a look at that site and, wow!. I don't think I will be able to make some of the toys that were advertised but I am going to buy one and see how i go anyway.

I will take crowie's advice and statr with a truck or a digger. I will post up some pic as i go through the building process . . . maybe LOL ( depending on how it looks )

Thanks again Prime Mover and Crowie, I think i will stick with the Aussie site.

Stonecutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    I would like to start making wooden toys for my boys. As I am new to this, does anybody know of a place I can by Plans or kits from?

Also check out Toymakingplans.com/

Growing old is much better than the alternative!

Don't forget to take a look at Aschi's Woodworking Model Plans

They look challenging, but every step is explained by text and pictures, so everybody can make them, as long as you take your time.

Smile Thanks

Thank you all for giving me some good advice and some brilliant sites to have a look at! I must say i do prefer the "enjoy making wooden toys" site. As i am fairly young and don't understand the inches and feet, and the aussie site said it came in cm and mm. So I will buy a plan and put up some work in progress pics, as long as no one gets offended by my rather poor skills.

I will buy a set of plans over the weekend and hopfully wont take too long to post.

I am just going to start basic and go from there!

Again thank you to Prime Mover, Crowie, Pogo and sprog for taking time to help me out!

I too am fairly young and new to the Woodworking/Toy Making scene, having only started making toys for my 2yr old son in the last few months.

Not something I thought I would be doing at my age, but remembered my Grandfather loved it before he passed away, so with time on my hands decided to give it a try.

I am glad I took the plunge - have loved it every since, especially the look on my sons face when he is playing with one of the toys his dad made - PRICELESS!!!

I have personally used plans from ToyMakingPlans, and Aschi's Workshop and although they use different design methods found them equally simple to follow.

To be honest - I don't think you could go wrong with any of the plan options listed by previous members.

If you need any wheels for your wooden toys then check out my site - www.woodenjoys.net

Enjoy your Toy Making!!

Default Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    Hi,

I am Stonecutter but I would like to be a wood cutter. I have recently found myself with a little extra time on my hands and would like to start making wooden toys for my boys. I have no artistic flare or creativity! A somewhat major setback in my ambitions.

As I am new to this, does anybody know of a place I can by Plans or kits from?

Any advice would be great.
    Welcome, Stonecutter. If you'd care to take a look at previous threads, I posted plans for simple cars and other things along with pictures. You might start with those, as they are free. On the internet you can find loads of free plans for almost everything!
    If enlightment is not where you are standing, where will you look?
    Zen-Master Dogen