Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pink and Rocks

Well have been beavering away in the shed.

First thing to do is to fill in the seat section and sand also did a dry fit and sanded to match the wings where needed, only took about 1/16" of of the boot section where the wings and seat section met.

DSCF2222.jpgDSCF2221.jpgDSCF2216.jpgDSCF2218.jpgDSCF2217.jpg

Next job was to make the steering wheel support block and drill it also drill the dashboard at an angle to let the shaft pass through, the last picture is only dry fitted as the bottom support block needed marking and two dowels at each end to hold it in place

DSCF2225.jpgDSCF2227.jpgDSCF2228.jpgDSCF2229.jpg

Bonnet section now boxed in, The two ends of dowels above the axle hole is for the bottom steering wheel shaft support. All exposed edges on both sections rounded over

DSCF2237.jpgDSCF2236.jpg

All dry fitted so as to see the dashboard upright and seat back and decide what shape and how tall they needed to be so they looked right

DSCF2235.jpgDSCF2234.jpgDSCF2233.jpg

After much paper cutting and meetings with the boss (wife) for her opinion I then cut them and shaped them to what you see here.

DSCF2240.jpgDSCF2239.jpg

I think they don't distract from the overall shape of the car. After some more sanding and a little filling (holes in the ply) I will start adding some of the larger detail that need to be attached to the main body.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Any updates???

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy767 View Post
    Any updates???
    Hi fozzy767 sorry been meaning to upload some photo's of what I have been doing also there have been times that what I have done to the car would not notice if I had taken a photo, like making sure all the joints and surfaces are nice and clean ready for the stage to come. Mean time I have started some of the detail bits and pieces.
    That is after I made a stand for my chip extractor now it does not take up so much room in the shed

DSCF2265.jpg

Something to frighten all of you me working, well actually preparing some of the wood for the detail

DSCF2267.jpgDSCF2263.jpg

One of the things I had to do was to put a flat on to a length of dowel for the grill I did not want just a 1/2 round as can be seen in the photo of the dowel in my hand. All dowel fitted this took quite a bit of time.

DSCF2258.jpgDSCF2260.jpgDSCF2284.jpg

Next up was the dashboard. Cut a piece at an angle and drilled for the steering column. This will be varnished and not painted. Made the discs for the dials by using a hole saw without the centre drill(did this on the drill press). Only cut part of the way through then stuck a piece of tape across the piece, next was to cut through with the bandsaw then pulled off the tape leaving just the discs stuck to it, sanded smooth and repeated for the two larger ones.

DSCF2276.jpgDSCF2271.jpgDSCF2272.jpgDSCF2273.jpgDSCF2270.jpgDSCF2274.jpgDSCF2277.jpg

The last lot of photo.s show somw of the wood prepared for the bumpers.

DSCF2262.jpgDSCF2280.jpgDSCF2279.jpgDSCF2275.jpg

I have started making the tail lights and front side/indicator lights will take some more photo's of them tomorrow.

All of the pieces I have been making I will stick on once I happy with the primer coat and everything is as smooth as I can get it(rather do it that way as it is easier to rub down)

Progressing nicely Derek. You're flying through it.
    I like the dust collector stand,too.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Thank you Steve.

Well some more bits done today.

First up is the rear light clusters made from some thin material I machined the other day. The darker wood is cut slightly smaller for the lens and the lighter to represent the chrome surround. The seperation of the lens is simply done with a tenon saw and then sanded to round the edges over

DSCF2287.jpgDSCF2289.jpgDSCF2293.jpgDSCF2295.jpg

The rear light clusters are made the same way, also in the picture are the two door handles.

DSCF2297.jpgDSCF2296.jpg

All the parts ready for fitting But you will have to wait as this is the last post on the car body for a while. Hopefully next time I show the body will be with the wheels and the rockers attached.

DSCF2294.jpg

Will be starting on the wheels next as well as the rockers after I have primed, filled the body. So bear with me it may be a few days before I add any more pictures.

Started on the steering wheel. I cut out three discs using my home made small circle cutter, then with the two thicker ones I used some double sided tape and stuck these(one at a time) onto a piece of mdf and placed the original piece over so as to act as a support for the router. I proceeded to cut out the inner circle the tape helped stop the pieces moving and ruining the outers as this is the parts I needed.
    The thinner third piece was marked out and 4 holes cut. back to the first two I routed the inner part on one side only.
    All three are stuck together with the thinner one in the middle when dry the outer part was routed.

DSCF2298.jpgDSCF2301.jpgDSCF2303.jpgDSCF2302.jpg

The boss in the first picture was made from the waste centre of one of the thicker outers. The cover with the hole is from a piece of 1/4" ply

The steering wheel column will be glued into the boss.

DSCF2306.jpg

Dry fit on to the body That is all you will see of the body until finished(just small bits)

DSCF2305.jpg

Today I decided to jump from the wheels as planned as I had a piece of ply just the correct length as the rockers and a bit wider, so before cutting up 1/2 of a sheet to start the wheels I used this piece to cut two rocker pieces and in doing so gave me an idea of how many whells I could get out of what remained. In this case I managed to get all the wheels and the two rocker pieces so no need to start on the 1/2 sheet.

First part of the rockers was to spend a good part of the day marking one of them out, next job was to rout the two ends.

DSCF2310.jpgDSCF2307.jpg

The next part was a little tricky and also required a bit of heath robinson of a jig as can be seen in the first photo. I did need the help of my good lady to make sure the pivot point did not jump out of its pivot hole as it is 48" (1220mm) from pivot to router bit. By using this method it gives the rockers a nice curve to rock on

DSCF2312.jpgDSCF2311.jpg

A quick sand on my drill press with drum sander and one completed rocker, I have rough cut the second and will use a straight bit with a bearing to duplicate the first

DSCF2316.jpgDSCF2317.jpg

With that done I now have enough left over to cut eight outer wheels so marked them out with enough clearance to cut these with my router and circle cutting jig, that is a job tomorrow along with final shaping of the second rocker.

DSCF2314.jpg

What I have not taken photo's of is the priming, filling(where needed) and sanding of the main body, this has been done over the past few days.

Main body is now ready for the final colour coats of paint before fitting the lights etc, now then there will be no peeking untill the whole car is finished.

Anyway what i can show is the start of the wheels, I know not everyone's favourite part of the build remember these are 7" dia.

Cut out all the outers 2 per wheel no spare included. All the centres still need to be cut out also I cut the centre disk out as well but no photo will take one tomorrow.

DSCF2320.jpg

The trusty router with my mini circle cutter was used for all this part certainly worth making that jig. And will be used again on the next rocker I have planned which at least I have drawn some plans on Sketch up for that one.

Default more horse power needed

Love the look and shape and build quality. BUT looking at them rockers this will be a very low powered four cylinder car.
    Get rid of the stoppers and get more slope on the rockers hey presto big thumping V8.

Phil

I can't wait to see this finished

Quote Originally Posted by Prime mover View Post
    Love the look and shape and build quality. BUT looking at them rockers this will be a very low powered four cylinder car.
    Get rid of the stoppers and get more slope on the rockers hey presto big thumping V8.

Phil
    Nothing is set in stone on this build. But I may just get rid of the stoppers as they may distract from the car.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy767 View Post
    I can't wait to see this finished

I think we all get to the stage of wanting to see the end project finished but I am restraining from rushing. First top coat has now gone onto the main body. Along with progress with the wheels.

Went to take photo's and the battery is flat in the camera. Later tonight I will post some more.

Not a lot got done today as last night had a thunder storm with loads of lightening, I think it knocked out our local sub station. So today was interrupted by 5 power cuts. Seems to be OK now.

Anyway between all the cuts I drilled some of the wheel centres the long and short of it is that I ended up drilling three of them and decided on the style that I was happy with. Now the three centres are of no use so recut these and tomorrow will cut them and show some photo's.

This is now how far I am with the wheels. In the first picture the solid discs as seen bottom left will be cut out to represent spokes of a fashion, the pieces in the second photo will become the centre boss's for the wheels the holes are only very shallow to give me a start with the forsner bit after I have used the hole saw to give me the outside diameter, There will be 4 X 1/2" thick and 4 X 3/4" thick.

DSCF2329.jpgDSCF2330.jpg

This is what I had first thought of for the spokes but have changed it to only 6 which gives me a little more room to play with when I round over any edges( I try to round over as many edges as possible for very young childrens toys)

DSCF2331.jpg

The final shot is only part of the main bodywork to show you the colour of the car. This is only the first coat it needs rubbing down and another coat.
    I only put this in to tease you all and to show the main colour after all it is for a girl

DSCF2327 (2).jpg

Well the wheels are in full swing now after yesterdays power cuts on and off all day.

I started by drilling a small hole all the way through the centre as this in where all the main measurements will be taken from. I then marked out for all the holes which you will see later.

DSCF2335.jpg

Next up was a shallow cut in the centre to mark where the shaft will locate, this will be drilled all the way through at a much later stage (you will see why it is not drilled right through now).

Using the same bit I drilled all the way through at six equal spacing around as photo, also I changed back to the small drill bit and drilled twelve holes these will be centres for a smaller forstner bit in the later stage.

DSCF2332.jpgDSCF2336.jpg

Using double sided tape and the small drill bit to line up the centre on two wheel discs. I used the marking on the top disc to drill the lower one which also included drilling the 1" holes. Repeated so all four discs are at the same stage.

DSCF2337.jpg

All four discs drilled

DSCF2338.jpg

Changing the forstner bit to a smaller one I drilled the twelve holes I did earlier. Now I have a wheel disc that looks like it should fit on a Disney Car. I know Mickey Mouse wheels

DSCF2340.jpgDSCF2339.jpg

Joining up the edges of the holes(remembering that the outer edge need to curve with the wheel) I then proceeded to cut these out with a jig saw and a metal cutting blade as this left a finer finish on the cut edge(less sanding later)

DSCF2342.jpgDSCF2341.jpg

Will continue with the wheels tomorrow. This is not all the work on the car as I am also painting and rubbing down where needed

Shaping up well Derek. Wish my wheels were that big.
    (Looks like we're all wheel-makers at the moment.)

That pink's a nice bright shade for a girl, too. She'll love it.
    I know it's an MG, but I keep thinking pink Cadillac for some reason.

Gonna be a beauty when it's done.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Shaping up well Derek. Wish my wheels were that big.
    (Looks like we're all wheel-makers at the moment.)
    you could always make a bigger car Steve. The only thing that I have to remember besides rounding over bits and pieces is that any holes either have to be too small to put fingers into or large enough not to get they stuck in.
    It is surprising what you have to think of when you make a toy from scratch as you all know kids will chew bite and poke things into (including body parts) any holes, also bang there heads knees etc on corners. you name it they will find it.

Today offering is very small routed and sanded the spokes

DSCF2344.jpgDSCF2343.jpg

also glued up two wheels ready to clean up the outside and form the tyres, this will be done tomorrow. Also mixed some paint for the light lenses and gave them a coat

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast