Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617

First class job and worth the wait to see the finish ,the caravan would be a great idear ,

Eddie.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    First class job and worth the wait to see the finish ,the caravan would be a great idear ,

Eddie.
    Thanks Eddie.

And I've already got a 10-page set of plans for a little (full-sized) caravan. I just need to scale it down to size. I'll make it exactly the same width as the Beetle, keep the current proportions and let the height and length just fall into place.
    This page shows the basic shape. Should suit the VW:

caravan-plan-2.jpg
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Thanks Eddie.

And I've already got a 10-page set of plans for a little (full-sized) caravan. I just need to scale it down to size. I'll make it exactly the same width as the Beetle, keep the current proportions and let the height and length just fall into place.

caravan-plan-2.jpg
    G'Day Steve,
    Did you see this thread in "toymaking" on scaling.....
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/i...cation-179580/
    Cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    G'Day Steve,
    Did you see this thread in "toymaking" on scaling.....
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/i...cation-179580/
    Cheers, crowie
    Hello Pete. I'd noticed that thread, but hadn't had a look yet. I'll have to check it out, out of interest. It might be worth learning how to use it.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I probably would have forgotten all about it.

Usually, I do all of my scaling using 'Paint', to produce accurate full-scale plans. That's how I did the VW roof etc. A combination of drawing, scanning and editing/scaling in 'Paint'.
    Edit: It's good for ensuring things (like bumper bars) are symmetrical, too. You draw half, scan it into the PC then copy the drawn part and paste a mirror image to complete the drawing.

I just tested that scaling software. Interesting. Took a minute to figure it out, but then once I had I got nice accurate results. Added to my arsenal of tools. Thanks again Pete.
    ... Steve

Thanks Eddie.

caravan-plan-2.jpg
    Glad I talked you into it.
    Will look great behind the VW.
    Are we getting a WIP on how to build a caravan?

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    Glad I talked you into it.
    Will look great behind the VW.
    Are we getting a WIP on how to build a caravan?
    I hadn't thought that far ahead Pete, but a WIP's probably not a bad idea. And there I was just thinking of making a simple little box trailer originally.
    First, though, I need to work out how I'm going to make it. The curved frame is the main obstacle.
    It won't happen in a hurry. I'm flat-out doing other stuff right now. At least the wheels are already made.
    ... Steve

I hadn't thought that far ahead Pete, but a WIP's probably not a bad idea. And there I was just thinking of making a simple little box trailer originally.
    First, though, I need to work out how I'm going to make it. The curved frame is the main obstacle.
    It won't happen in a hurry. I'm flat-out doing other stuff right now. At least the wheels are already made.
    Only thing I can tell you is 1 hr per inch of thickness at 100 degrees C.

I did some bending for a 3d viewer I made, cut a outline in 35 x 70 pine, boiled the timber for required time and then clamped into the pine outline and clamped it up.
    I had to do it twice as I thought it would spring a bit after drying, but it did not move at all, came out exactly the same shape as I cut into the former.
    My timber was only 3mm thick so not hard to bend and I did get one crack, but with the former I could do it again.

Maybe some messages to Gary and his wagons for ideas/techniques may be of use.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    Only thing I can tell you is 1 hr per inch of thickness at 100 degrees C.

I did some bending for a 3d viewer I made, cut a outline in 35 x 70 pine, boiled the timber for required time and then clamped into the pine outline and clamped it up.
    I had to do it twice as I thought it would spring a bit after drying, but it did not move at all, came out exactly the same shape as I cut into the former.
    My timber was only 3mm thick so not hard to bend and I did get one crack, but with the former I could do it again.

Maybe some messages to Gary and his wagons for ideas/techniques may be of use.

Pete
    I was just looking at Jim's stagecoach. I might do it in a similar fashion - cut out the side frames and panel shapes in profile from thin plywood rather than bending a frame.
    Next I could add cross members between the sides and other supports as needed, then wrap 2mm or 3mm plywood around it to form front, top and back. I'll ponder it for a while as I do other things. No great rush. It could be a fun little build.
    ... Steve

Looks like a plan with that caravan Steve why not make the skeleton frame first with whatever wood is available and then skin it with modelling ply which on the very thin stuff can bend to a very tight curve without steaming. We can get it as thin as 1/32" here another material is plasticard which is thin sheets of modelling plastic either plane or even embossed with patterns quite often used by model railway enthusiasts.

The curve on the roof to cabin side was created using the plasticard the ruler will give you an idea how tight a curve can be formed

DSCF2475.jpgDSCF2477.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Looks like a plan with that caravan Steve why not make the skeleton frame first with whatever wood is available and then skin it with modelling ply which on the very thin stuff can bend to a very tight curve without steaming. We can get it as thin as 1/32" here another material is plasticard which is thin sheets of modelling plastic either plane or even embossed with patterns quite often used by model railway enthusiasts.

The curve on the roof to cabin side was created using the plasticard the ruler will give you an idea how tight a curve can be formed

DSCF2475.jpgDSCF2477.jpg
    That's exactly how I plan to do it, Derek, using Basswood ply from Basswood Ply Sheets | Online Balsa Wood Store - Balsacentral.com for the skin. I won't use any plastics though, because it will all have to be unpainted timber to match the VW.

I was planning to use 2mm ply, but might go even thinner, to 1.5mm. 0.6mm 3-ply is also available, but would be too thin I think.
    Bending the skin won't be too hard, but bending the frame timbers might be tricky. I'm considering MDF after discussing it with Repliconics. Otherwise, I'll cut the frame out in profile on the scrollsaw, from 3mm or more likely, 5mm ply.

As I mentioned, I'm not in a rush to get started. I want to get in a fair bit more turning practice yet, until I'm completely comfortable with the tools and techniques. I'm in the middle of a couple more bowls at the moment.
    ... Steve

Default I know you've got a new love in your life Steve, BUT!!

I know you've got a new love in your life Steve, BUT don't forget your old friend...
    SORRY, the van for the bug......how's it coming along or has the lathe taken over things???
    Hoping all's well in Nowra, Cheers, crowie

I know you've got a new love in your life Steve, BUT don't forget your old friend...
    SORRY, the van for the bug......how's it coming along or has the lathe taken over things???
    Hoping all's well in Nowra, Cheers, crowie
    G'day Peter. Yeah, the woodturning has taken over a bit for now, but not forever. There's so much to learn compared to the other areas of woodworking that I've tried. Slowly getting the feel of it.
    I'll definitely get back to the modelling in a little while.
    So far I've done nothing on the caravan besides thinking about how to go about it.

(I've got a box that I should be finishing, too. )
    ... Steve

Just checking up on you Steve and on the project progress???? Peter

Just checking up on you Steve and on the project progress???? Peter
    Progress? What's that?

Well, I have at least been thinking about the caravan, but for now I'm still enjoying the turning too much. Don't worry, I haven't deserted and will be back when the turning novelty wears off a bit.

(Sorry for the slow reply, I meant to do it sooner but keep forgetting.)
    ... Steve

G'Day Steve, I hope all the thinking about the caravan is paying off as good as the beautiful wood turning you are producing...
    Lets home the caravan takes centre stage soon...cheers, crowie

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617