Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

A tiny bit of progress. I cut the front roof section to length, then cut the second roof section with it's 97 degree front end and 102.3 degree rear end. I was nervous about matching the odd angles, but it's worked out OK so far. I still need to taper the sides of it, but I'm thinking of leaving it until after it's glued on.

ah. Roof part 2.jpg

I'm not gluing these bits in place yet, because I'm still pondering the front windscreen opening. As per the plans, it looks pretty crappy and not at all authentic.
    The front edge of the roof will be tapered then rounded to the line, but the sharp corners of the opening stand out and the thickness of the pillars is accentuated. I considered thinning them, but that means doing it along the whole of the inner, upper edge of both sides, and I'd still need to add timber in the corners.

ai. Bad front windscreen opening.JPG aj. Real Front Windscreen.jpg

I thought about just adding some small pieces of timber into the four corners of the opening, then rounding them, but I don't think I'd ever get them to blend - they'd always look 'added on'.
    I could just do something like this (below) to the front pillars only, but they might look odd against the fatter side pillars then.
    Any thoughts?

ak. Rough new windscreen opening.JPG

Something different in passing - I don't know how everyone else marks a straight line across a curved surface, but I find this stuff invaluable:

ak. Flexible ruler.jpg

It's the strapping often found on bales and other packages. It bends on one plane well, but resists bending sideways.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Looking great Steve... nearly caught up to mine.

I hadn't thought about the front window until you brought it up, but I don't think it's as bad as the original rear window.

I'm thinking if the top edge of the windscreen gets a curve (similar to the curve on the bottom edge) as well as tapering out the sides as you've drawn, then it will look even better.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonnee View Post
    Looking great Steve... nearly caught up to mine.

I hadn't thought about the front window until you brought it up, but I don't think it's as bad as the original rear window.
    I agree. The rear was shocking. As you've seen, I'm taking a page from your book to get a better roof/rear screen line.

I'm thinking if the top edge of the windscreen gets a curve (similar to the curve on the bottom edge) as well as tapering out the sides as you've drawn, then it will look even better.
    It would, wouldn't it? Thanks for the suggestion. It'd take a bit of that bulk out of the roof, too. Should be able to do that with the spindle sander. Could round out the centre of the whole underside of the main roof piece.

I'll have a think about things tonight, and might go ahead and do both top and sides tomorrow. Would have been easier if I'd thought of it before gluing the sides on, but I think that with the Dremel then a bit of filing it's doable.
    ... Steve

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Don't attack it too much just yet (the tapered sides of the windscreen).

I have mine sitting at my desk here, and the front bonnet/boot section has a different curve to it than the dash...

(from post #143 in my thread)
    VW Beetle w.i.p 117.jpg

Maybe leave the side tapers til the body's all together, then shape it with the Dremel.
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonnee View Post
    Don't attack it too much just yet (the tapered sides of the windscreen).

I have mine sitting at my desk here, and the front bonnet/boot section has a different curve to it than the dash...

(from post #143 in my thread)
    VW Beetle w.i.p 117.jpg

Maybe leave the side tapers til the body's all together, then shape it with the Dremel.
    Yeah, right. It's hard to think ahead, picturing parts that haven't been made yet. I've been thinking about the roof, too. If I hollow the inside, I have to make sure the tapered front edge follows the same curved line and isn't flat, or it'll look thin in the middle. If I'm going to round the inside, full length, I need to do it before it's glued on, even if I leave the sides until later.
    I got the rear windscreen opening drawn up tonight, so I can continue on that tomorrow while I think about the front.
    ... Steve

In the end, for the front screen opening, I just very slightly rounded the upper edge. Also cut the taper on top. I didn't touch the pillars. (Not yet, anyway.) I still need to final shape the front edge of the roof. I'll slightly round it as well, to match the inside curve.

al. New front screen top edge.jpg

I also cut the next rear section, the rear windscreen panel. It fits OK.

am. Rear screen panel test fit.jpg

Next I'll cut the actual rear screen opening, then taper the sides of these two new pieces to match the roof-edge taper, before starting on the vent panel. (I'm still nutting out the best way to make that bit.)
    This is roughly the shape I'll make the opening. (Still fine-tuning it. It doesn't look quite right. I think it lneeds a larger radius on the bottom corners to make the sides more rounded?)

Full Rear Screen.JPG
    ... Steve

A little more done. I did round the bottom corners of the rear screen opening more and also lowered the opening, closer to the vent panel. I didn't taper the sides of these parts as much as the main roof section, to leave more meat for final body shaping.
    Ignore the gaps - they'll close up. Everything keeps sliding back from gravity.

an. Rear screen done 1.JPG ao. Rear screen done 2.JPG ap. Rear screen done 3.JPG

I had to make the inside bottom edge of the winscreen panel pretty thin to lower the opening, so it's fairly fragile since it's across the grain, but so far I haven't broken it. I'll be happy when it's glued into place with the vent panel against it.

Inside rear screen panel.JPG

Next, that vent panel..... (After I work out how. )
    ... Steve

Before making the rear cowl vent panel, I decided to quickly do the rear end taper on the body, where the rear guards will attach. It looks a bit odd at this stage.

at. Rear body taper.JPG

To make the vent panel, I took the chicken's way out and made it in two pieces. First I cut it to size and cut the profile, then sliced a 2.5mm strip from the bottom, to glue back later for 'stopped' slots. Next I cut the slots using the scroll saw, with the part on it's side, before gluing it back together again. The join isn't invisible, but not too bad. After all, with all the other joins along the top, what's one more?

au. Rear vent panel - Step 1.JPG av. Rear vent panel - Step 2.JPG aw. Rear Vent Panel - Step 3.JPG

A shot with the panel held in place with DS tape.

ax. Vent panel test fit.JPG

Next up is the engine cover. (Note I'm staying away from the bonnet/boot/hood/trunk argument. )
    ... Steve

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

You're certainly making good progress there Steve..... looking good! Cheers, crowie

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    You're certainly making good progress there Steve..... looking good! Cheers, crowie
    Hey Pete. Thanks. You're always very encouraging.
    ... Steve

I have just reread your last posts and I could have sworn that I had left a comment, I think I have lost my marbles and not the first time this week.

Anyway great progress on the VW I used a similar method on the 1936 Ford that you used on the vent and there is nothing wrong with it you can hardly see a join.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    I used a similar method on the 1936 Ford that you used on the vent and there is nothing wrong with it you can hardly see a join.
    Ha. I picked up that method from the bonnet vents on my '28 Ford. On the Ford, the join was with the grain rather than across it, so I wasn't sure how this would go. It looks pretty good from a distance. (The greater the distance, the better it looks. )
    Edit: I used the Dremel router table w/ 0.8mm end-mill for actually cutting the Roadster slots. Got the scroll saw part from you, Derek.

Actually, what I thought would be the trickiest part was cutting off the 2.5mm strip across the grain without breaking it, but it went smooth as silk.
    ... Steve

Steve,
    Looking fine!

But be careful.....you are in danger of finishing this year.....

Just kidding....

Cheers,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Script View Post
    But be careful.....you are in danger of finishing this year.....
    Stranger things have happened, Jim. I won't rule anything out.

Actually, I should think about setting a target date, to stay on track. Xmas sounds about right, I reckon.

And thanks for the good feedback, too. Much appreciated.
    ... Steve

Xmas? You will have it finished before then Unless of course the Lathe derails you! Looking good by the way.

Bret

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast