Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Waroona WA Australia
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Which NAIL GUN do I need?

    Good Morning

    I would guess that this has been answered a million times but I have to dash off to work shortly (just a little retirement job) so forgive me for not taking the time to search. I have laid wooden flooring - it's called engineered flooring by some. I got SCOTIA as part of the deal, but I have finally decided not to use it and to purchase Pine Moulding 92mm X 18mm. The walls are PLASTER RENDER (not Plaster Board). I haven't got extensive use for a NAIL GUN, but I will use it in future as I enjoy simple woodwork and renovating old furniture etc.

    I have never used a nail gun before and my knowledge of them is NIL. I usually buy decent quality tools but as a pensioner of a limited budget I can't afford the best and hate buying rubbish. Generally I like Makita Handyman sort of standard. Remember I am just off to work so and wanted to get this question off to you good folks as I have asked for help before and the result has been amazing, but I haven't as yet looked to see if Makita actually do nail guns so I am just referring to tool quality standard here.

    So the obvious question is ..... what should I buy? I don't like hiring tools unless I would never use the stuff again.

    Many thanks

    Bill

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oberon
    Age
    65
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im guessing that you dont have an air compressor and that you are looking at a fixing gun as opposed to a framing gun.

    I think that a Project air compressor and a Project air fixing gun will get serve you well enough the whole thing for about $300-00

    A Paslode fixing gun will cost you about $450 upwards before you buy the nails and gas at about $60-00 box

    The compressor will also give you the ability to add other attachments but remember the small compressors are low volume air supply and direct drive so the cycle regularly.

    You could look on Gumtree or Ebay for a secound hand Paslode fixing gun and when serviced by an accredited technician, will serve you well

    Forget the small electric nailers, only good for craft type work (when they are working properly that is)

    Just my 2cw anyway
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Waroona WA Australia
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    Im guessing that you dont have an air compressor and that you are looking at a fixing gun as opposed to a framing gun.

    I think that a Project air compressor and a Project air fixing gun will get serve you well enough the whole thing for about $300-00

    A Paslode fixing gun will cost you about $450 upwards before you buy the nails and gas at about $60-00 box

    The compressor will also give you the ability to add other attachments but remember the small compressors are low volume air supply and direct drive so the cycle regularly.

    You could look on Gumtree or Ebay for a secound hand Paslode fixing gun and when serviced by an accredited technician, will serve you well

    Forget the small electric nailers, only good for craft type work (when they are working properly that is)

    Just my 2cw anyway
    Thanks Ray. That's great info. I've just got home from work so I will do a bit of research, I looked briefly at the Makita Gas Gun and wondered what that would be like, but it was about $700 which is too much for me, but Hitachi do one. Have you heard anything about GAS Nailers?? I am never going to be doing things heavier that the job I essentially need it for which is the skirting board. The main thing that worried me was nailing into Plaster Rendered wall through the 18mm timber. On YouTube they show nailing wood to wood, but not to render.

    Bill

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bought a compressor many years ago and a fixing nail gun, (nail size 50mm and 65mm) used for fixing skirting boards and fixing architraves. Since I had a compressor I have now added, blow gun for shifting sawdust, brad gun (6mm,10mm,18mm,25mm,32mm) tyre pressure guage,spray gun,air nibbler for sheet metal, framing gun(50mm,75mm,90mm) used to nail big bits of wood like stud walls, secret nailer for T&G flooring next purchase will be a die grinder (way cheaper version of a dremmel)
    compressor is a project air with a large tank to reduce cycling(switching on and off) I have two more tanks I will connect inline "one day" to reduce cycling even more.

    Re your plaster render is it over timber or blue board? Either way a fixing gun would shoot through no problems. If your render is onto a poured concrete wall or concrete render over brick wall then orange spaghetti and four inch nails is the best fixing method, masonry bit straight through skirt and into concrete feed in orange spaghetti trim with Stanley knife insert four inch nail countersink and fill over. ( probably would work with green spaghetti and a smaller nail too)
    cheers

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Waroona WA Australia
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrongwayfirst View Post
    I bought a compressor many years ago and a fixing nail gun, (nail size 50mm and 65mm) used for fixing skirting boards and fixing architraves. Since I had a compressor I have now added, blow gun for shifting sawdust, brad gun (6mm,10mm,18mm,25mm,32mm) tyre pressure guage,spray gun,air nibbler for sheet metal, framing gun(50mm,75mm,90mm) used to nail big bits of wood like stud walls, secret nailer for T&G flooring next purchase will be a die grinder (way cheaper version of a dremmel)
    compressor is a project air with a large tank to reduce cycling(switching on and off) I have two more tanks I will connect inline "one day" to reduce cycling even more.

    Re your plaster render is it over timber or blue board? Either way a fixing gun would shoot through no problems. If your render is onto a poured concrete wall or concrete render over brick wall then orange spaghetti and four inch nails is the best fixing method, masonry bit straight through skirt and into concrete feed in orange spaghetti trim with Stanley knife insert four inch nail countersink and fill over. ( probably would work with green spaghetti and a smaller nail too)
    cheers
    Bloody hell!!! I got as far as orange spaghetti and I truly thought "He's taking the Mickey". Anyway I read further and it's beginning to make sense, but I have never seen or heard of the process before. Really sorry,............ I laid 165 Sq Mtrs of flooring but I'm still just a novice.

    I don't know if the practice is used elsewhere, but in this house which we had built last year (in WA) ALL the walls are brick and then rendered. I am assuming that "Orange spaghetti" is like uncut wall plugs???

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ...its even called spaghetti...

    70688.jpg
    Can someone please tell me how to PERMANENTLY turn off that annoying "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" setting! If I don't think the URL by itself is sufficient, I'm perfectly capable of creating a properly formatted hyperlink all by myself.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oberon
    Age
    65
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrongwayfirst View Post

    Re your plaster render is it over timber or blue board? Either way a fixing gun would shoot through no problems. If your render is onto a poured concrete wall or concrete render over brick wall then orange spaghetti and four inch nails is the best fixing method, masonry bit straight through skirt and into concrete feed in orange spaghetti trim with Stanley knife insert four inch nail countersink and fill over. ( probably would work with green spaghetti and a smaller nail too)
    cheers
    This is the best method for cement rendered walls and use construction glue as well before nailing.

    The only nailing gun that would do this is a heavy duty dedicated compressed air gun SPECIFICALLY designed for fixing framing to concrete / rendered walls, not suitable for fixing finished mouldings.

    There are special high tensile nails for fixing finished mouldings and are driven by hammer but it takes a bit of practice and more often than not, they split the timber, not wort the effort or frustration.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Waroona WA Australia
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    This is the best method for cement rendered walls and use construction glue as well before nailing.

    The only nailing gun that would do this is a heavy duty dedicated compressed air gun SPECIFICALLY designed for fixing framing to concrete / rendered walls, not suitable for fixing finished mouldings.

    There are special high tensile nails for fixing finished mouldings and are driven by hammer but it takes a bit of practice and more often than not, they split the timber, not wort the effort or frustration.
    I know I am going to sound stupid, but 4 inch nails to attach what is, after all, a decorative bit of timber, seems to me (remember I'm a novice) massively excessive. I put up these photo shelves (about 18mm Pine) and used plastic wall plugs and about 40mm screws - maybe less - and they are never going to fall off...... So should I just forget the nail gun and do as I have just described? Bill (sorry to be a pain)

    untitled (1 of 1).jpg

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oberon
    Age
    65
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    use a 75mm nail instead. The nail has a smaller head and easier to fill and finish, a screw has a larger head.

    There is 1 other method, just use liquid nails and hold the skirting in place with springing rods between the walls or a heavy object
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    70
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Do as the last post said,fix on with No More Nails fast set and hold in place with bricks or similar,Ihave done this to brik.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillSullivan View Post
    I know I am going to sound stupid, but 4 inch nails to attach

    untitled (1 of 1).jpg
    Sorry, my bad.i used the four inch and orange spaghetti as a for instance. For instance if you need to hold down a stud wall on concrete slab every 600mm you dynadrill a hole straight through bottom plate and feed in etc. should have expanded a bit more on the use a smaller nail with a smaller spaghetti I just didn't know what colour matched what nail but you got the idea. Nail punch the head so you can putty and one of the many bobs on this forum will be your uncle

    p.s. buy a compressor they are hours of fun. I mean they are a valuable asset

Similar Threads

  1. Nail Gun
    By groeneaj in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13th Nov 2009, 08:57 PM
  2. Which nail gun ?
    By apricotripper in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 20th Nov 2007, 07:46 PM
  3. Nail Gun
    By gorgac in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th Nov 2007, 09:13 PM
  4. Nail gun, nail sizes?
    By Santalum in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th Sep 2005, 10:33 AM
  5. Nail Gun?
    By sander in forum HAND TOOLS - POWERED
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th Mar 2005, 11:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •