Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Omga MEC300ST or Festool KS120

I want to upgrade compound mitre saw to something solid and long lasting because a chopsaw is one of the most used tool in my workshop at the moment (more often then my dust extractor, am upgrading to either a CVmax or a Felder RL soon)

I have been looking at the Omga MEC300ST, wondering anyone on the forum owns one or has experience with Omga mitre saws?

Picture below is an Omga MEC300ST with Omga dust collection cabinet (saw is about $2400USD, dust collection cabinet is about another $1000USD)
    OMGA.JPG

At the moment I have a Makita LS1216, I never used the sliding function, sometimes the locking mechanism on the LS1216 may become loose - maybe after too many cuts it will just become loose and the saw will just move forward, at times like this I really missed my $250 Makita Chop saw.... also if I wanted to cut something wider, I use my sliding table saw, I find it easier to adjust and safer to cut wider boards on the slding table saw.

I did consider Festool KS120, only because I have a Festool vacuum and I want to utilise it, not because how "beautiful and quality cut", put a quality blade on any mediocre saw and you will get a "beautiful cut"

If KS120 was say half price of the Omga, I would have bought the KS120, but Omga is only a few hundred dollars more than a KS120...

your thoughts please

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Good Morning Albert

First person I have ever say they would buy a Festool because it was cheap!!!

Never used an Omga, so I cannot comment.

With the Festool, you already have the vacuum, so a saving there.

Secondly, could the Festool vacuum be persuaded to operate with the Omga?

Fair Winds

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    Good Morning Albert

First person I have ever say they would buy a Festool because it was cheap!!!

Never used an Omga, so I cannot comment.

With the Festool, you already have the vacuum, so a saving there.

Secondly, could the Festool vacuum be persuaded to operate with the Omga?

Fair Winds

Graeme
    Hi Graeme, thanks for the reply, I have a semi commercial setup in my workshop, I dont mind the cost of the machines if I can justify it or it can make money, although Festools Kapex is quite good, but after reading comments from sawmillcreek and other wood working website, it seems it is not as good as their other products... plus I dont use the sliding capacity anyway, a lot of money is put in the R&D to make the slider smooth, long lasting and accurate, I rather spend the money elsewhere to get what I need.

The omga has a dust exhaust port of 80mm, the dust collection inlet is very large(in the vicinity of 70-90mm), I could hook the extractor onto the saw and therefore eliminate the need for dust collection cabinet.

by the way MEC300ST only cuts 130mm at 90degrees with 300mm blade, to cut something bigger you will have to move up to a T50 350, its a 350mm blade and cuts 173mm at 90degrees when material is 90mm thick (or 110mm high by 130mm wide), but T50350 is double the price of Kapex...

Never used an Omga drop-saw, but if the build quality is anything like their radial arm saws I'd recommend it.
    Here's the NZ distributor: JACKS :: Contact Us they may have one set up that you can try

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    Never used an Omga drop-saw, but if the build quality is anything like their radial arm saws I'd recommend it.
    Here's the NZ distributor: JACKS :: Contact Us they may have one set up that you can try
    thanks for that elanjacobs

Jacks has two Omga saws setup in the show room and there is a Elumatec next to it.

Jacks is about 1km from where I live, I have bought various machinery from Jacks, great after sale service, I am actually buying my Omga saw setup from them again

I have Radial arm saw of theres and its a great saw.....But maybe you be looking at Omga T53 370 Mitre Saw.
    This saw can do Compound mitres

just an update, got myself a mint Omga from a retired cabinet maker for the fraction of the new cost.