Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Interesting Bill. I've just finished reading Electric Guitar & Bass Design by Leonardo Lospennato. Leonardo includes a quote from R.M. Mottola (independent researcher).

"It may come as a surprise to a number of musicians that there is no definitive research showing any kind of correlation between wood species or basic construction techniques used in electric guitars and particular tone coloring. My advice here is to pick materials that you like (for whatever reasons) and not to worry so much about how this may affect the sound. Paying attention to the ergonomics and weight of the instrument will be far more fruitful."

I think it's sound advice but I'm inexperienced in guitar building so my perspective is skewed.

Denim.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Amen.

ive used all kinda of #### that a lot of 'tone wood snobs' would definitely turn their nose up at. I don't think my axes are world class at all. But I love em and they're mine. And I make em real cheap

There are those who will argue that unless you build with old growth Dalbergia Unobtainiata your instrument will never measure up. And great makers build demo instruments out of "low grade" timbers but they don't seem to put them into production. This argument has absorbed a lot of time and energy on this forum.

There is always the next build )
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Default Cnc differnt woods - same guitar

Ive heard the same argument over and over again.

Each argument,one says this wood is best, that wood is poor etc etc.

what a wonderful thing it would be if someone could put several different types of wood through a CNC machine to create exactly the same guitars.
    If the guitar was say a strat type with scratch plate mounted electronics so it could be easy to swap electronics over - then we could see/hear the difference !

If I had to guess (and it is a guess) I bet you can get a nice sound out of practically any wood, as long as it has decent pick ups!

just my thoughts but im sure someone will argue the difference!

Jason

To rehash some previous conversation. An instrument is not only its sonic qualities. It is its provenance, its condition, its aesthetics, its playing condition and its "mojo". To separate it from any of these factors devalues the whole experience that is owning and playing an instrument. Even expert players cant tell a Strad from a modern copy (see Player preferences among new and old violins) and I am sure that goes for revery possible combination of tonewood, playing style, strings and age of strings, amp, speakers, hall you are playing in and whether you have recovered from Deafcon yet.

Part of Perrys mojo is a no Jarrah policy, Ormsby guitars are highly desirable and have mojo to spare. My pallet wood uke is gathering dust.

BTW Denim, Liutaio Mottolas page is one of my go to pages when thinking out new ideas. Liutaio Mottola Lutherie Information Website
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for the link Sebastaan, I've also visited his site a few times now and find it very interesting.

Denim

Working on the neck took a back seat over the last week due to bathroom renovations. Last weekend I got a little done and managed to build a table saw sled for the 10º cut.

I trimmed down the sides of the maple so the total width of the neck is now 100 mm but I have run into a problem. The table saw won't cut the entire width of the board in one pass. Has anyone got any tips on how to do this?

I could do one pass, then cut the rest with a handsaw and plane the left overs flat which I think is fine to do but I just want to check for any alternative methods before I do this.

Denim

I cut my first scarf joint with nothing but a hand saw. As long as you make sure you keep cutting at 90 degrees you'll be fine. I then threw both pieces onto my belt sander to even it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Denim View Post

I could do one pass, then cut the rest with a handsaw and plane the left overs flat which I think is fine to do but I just want to check for any alternative methods before I do this.

Denim
    This is what I do. It doesn't hurt to get handy with a handsaw and a plane. I actually still hand cut many of the scarf joints on my acoustics....sometimes I just cant be bothered getting the tale saw set up.

You can do the entire cut on a bandsaw but a jig is needed and the saw has to be well set up.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by jase128 View Post

If I had to guess (and it is a guess) I bet you can get a nice sound out of practically any wood, as long as it has decent pick ups!
    ...which tells me that the pickups and electrics contribute far more to the sound than the wood.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

And ultimately, they do. But its the base that provides the nuances we search for. Otherwise, if it makes no difference, give me a call, Id love to build you an MDF guitar.

Try putting strat pickups in a Les Paul and see if it sounds like the strat they came from.

Actually one day when I get a chance perry, I might run a piece of mdf through the process and see what it sounds like, mdf body mdf neck mdf fretboard, now thats something you dont see everyday (I think theres a reason for that )

Quote Originally Posted by simso View Post
    Actually one day when I get a chance perry, I might run a piece of mdf through the process and see what it sounds like, mdf body mdf neck mdf fretboard, now thats something you dont see everyday (I think theres a reason for that )
    It's very hard to get good mdf these days.
    Cheers, Bill

Yeh old growth mdf is so hard to find now, not like the old days

Can i get one with a figured plywood top? AAA grade of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast