Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to buy female threaded rod?

can you buy female threaded rod? I.E something that is say 12mm outside diameter with a female 8mm metric thread down the middle? Can you buy this sort of thing by the length? I have to make a stack of mounts for various things on my motorbike and a product like this would speed things up a heap versus what I currently do which is drilling and tapping each bung/mount by hand. If I have 50cm lengths of this stuff on hand I could just cut off 20mm or 30mm pieces as needed and weld it to my frame.

Brendan

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Welding M/C frames.

I think you'll find welding M/C frames is illegal. Might pay to check with the MTA first.

Its a custom built frame that will be engineered.

You can get "joining nuts" in that size. They are about 30mm long and have a 12mm hex shape. I use them a bit too. My local fastener place has them in stock in many sizes. There are also "double nuts" that are about 12 or so mm long for shorter bits. If you don't want the hex shape, I believe there are plain round "threaded bushes" available as well.
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

Default Yebbut

Little bot of difference tho in wanting it 50cm long - i.e. 500 mm and cut of a short bit when you need it - versus buying them 30mm or 50mm long... although yes its still a good option.

Its seldom you see the use of CM in Australia and that's for a very good reason.

When we adopted metrics - the 10mm length of 1 centimeter - wasn't adopted!.

Thats why sheets of material for building are described as 2400mm x 1200mm wen ordering not 240cm x 120cm.

Because most of the rulers brought into the country have the CM markings from other European country's where CM are used, people just assume we use them here - they are taught in school for e.g. but NOT used in industry go figure.

Ring any supplier and ask for materials in CM measurements, and its a red flag...that the person buying has zero idea what they are on about....

Just saying... not criticism in any way, because most of our population (including stupid school teachers) think CM is part of the Aus metric system, when its NOT.

Examples of such idiocy - when described by Police the suspect was said to be approx 176 cm tall!

CM should be outlawed - it would solve a LOT of factor of 10 errors in supplying materials!

Apols for the derail.

Quote Originally Posted by Timless Timber View Post
    Little bot of difference tho in wanting it 50cm long - i.e. 500 mm and cut of a short bit when you need it - versus buying them 30mm or 50mm long... although yes its still a good option.

Its seldom you see the use of CM in Australia and that's for a very good reason.

Thats why sheets of material for building are described as 2400mm x 1200mm wen ordering not 240cm x 120cm.

Because most of the rulers brought into the country have the CM markings from other European country's where CM are used, people just assume we use them here - they are taught in school for e.g. but NOT used in industry go figure.

Ring any supplier and ask for materials in CM measurements, and its a red flag...that the person buying has zero idea what they are on about....

Just saying... not criticism in any way, because most of our population (including stupid school teachers) think CM is part of the Aus metric system, when its NOT.

Examples of such idiocy - when described by Police the suspect was said to be approx 176 cm tall!

CM should be outlawed - it would solve a LOT of factor of 10 errors in supplying materials!

Apols for the derail.
    and mr timeless .
    my old man ( marine engineer ) always told me its not a ruler or rulers because they are kings of a country it is a rule or rules .dad was a stickler for that kind of thing .

johno
    'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'

Quote Originally Posted by texx View Post
    and mr timeless .
    my old man ( marine engineer ) always told me its not a ruler or rulers because they are kings of a country it is a rule or rules .dad was a stickler for that kind of thing .

johno
    The rule rules as stated by the rulers
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Timless Timber View Post

That is not so, centimetres are used in different areas, fabric for instance is measured in centimetres, also check your drivers licence and see how tall you are. I think that millimetres are used in industries where a greater degree of accuracy is required, hence building materials and engineering supplies etc are almost always measured in millimetres. Both have their place and are heaps better than the old, and very confusing to some, feet and inches.
    Regards
    Bradford

Default Wot I titch in skool

I teach my students that they use steel rules and that they should measure in millimetres despite Mathematics using centimetres and the rules being in cm (not capital CM by the way.)

Craig

Thanks Joe - they are good leads and i'll follow up on them.

Wobble off down to the hardware shop & have a look at rod joiners.

It think the longest is about 50mm. (5cm) {2"}
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thanks Cliff.

I am unfamilar with that sizing though....is that the same as 25 thousandths of a furlong?

Brendan

I think he means 0.5 decimetres.
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Quote Originally Posted by 19brendan81 View Post
    Thanks Cliff.

I am unfamilar with that sizing though....is that the same as 25 thousandths of a furlong?

Brendan
    Nah, 25 thousandths of a furlong is 5.0292 Metres
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Yup metric is confusing, at school we were wacked across the #### arsk with a 1 metre rule which was 2" wide, yet wacked across the hand with a 40mm wide strap that was 12" long. Go figure now I always need my 90 x 45 at 2' 3"
    Last edited by Wrongwayfirst; 13th September 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Found out you can't type arsk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast