Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Birthday present

As a birthday present my wife bought me a lathe (yes, she knew what kind and brand I wanted)! Before installing this new machine, I was wondering about the work height I'll have to set it up. Does anyone know howhigh to set it up, in relation to the height of the one who's gonna work with it? I'm not that big, at the contrary I'm only 1m 65 (don't know about that in inches) and I think it's important to have the lathe at the right height.
    If enlightment is not where you are standing, where will you look?
    Zen-Master Dogen

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default Happy Birthday Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_3344 View Post
    As a birthday present my wife bought me a lathe (yes, she knew what kind and brand I wanted)! Before installing this new machine, I was wondering about the work height I'll have to set it up. Does anyone know howhigh to set it up, in relation to the height of the one who's gonna work with it? I'm not that big, at the contrary I'm only 1m 65 (don't know about that in inches) and I think it's important to have the lathe at the right height.
    Firstly Happy Birthday Leo,

What a top lady you have to buy you such a present - 10/10...........

I don't have a lathe but as a guess I'd say the centre line of the lathe head to be at the height of you elbow or slightly higher....
    Don't take that as gospel but lets see what the blokes who have a lathe say.
    Well done on such a great present.
    Cheers, crowie

Yeah happy birthday

top present - I've put a picture of a tricked up stubby on the fridge and have so far been ignored

Place your left hand on your right shoulder
    the height of your left elbow is a good starting point for the height of the lathe at the spindle

I have mine a bit higher than that as I find it less backache

generally bowl turners tend to have it a bit higher

PS you've gotta like it when someone in Belguim asks Aussies for lathe setup advice
    Last edited by Sawdust Maker; 9th September 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add PS
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Plus 1 for the spindle at elbow. Both of mine are a little higher than that but that is only because I had made my benches at a height to suit what I wanted them to be and could not be bothered to change them. If I had to rebuild them I would set them at elbow height.

OH yes happy birthday can I borrow your wife when my birthday comes around

Sawdust Maker has hit the nail on the head, metaphorically speaking. I like my lathe a little higher than the elbow, maybe 25mm or so as I feel as though I'm closer to the item being turned and my back aches less.
    -Scott

Hello Leo,

Happy Birthday! And congratulations on the Lathe and a wonderful wife who understands and supports your hobby. My lathe centerline is right at elbow length. Funny thing I didn't plan it that way. I didn't even think about the height when I built it. Only advice I can give is to get an anti-fatigue mat to stand on at the lathe as you don't realize how long you stand there sometimes and when turning your body is tensed up cause you are holding the tools firmly.

By the way I can't wait to see what you make on the lathe. Should be very interesting.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    Yeah happy birthday

top present - I've put a picture of a tricked up stubby on the fridge and have so far been ignored

Place your left hand on your right shoulder
    the height of your left elbow is a good starting point for the height of the lathe at the spindle

I have mine a bit higher than that as I find it less backache

generally bowl turners tend to have it a bit higher

PS you've gotta like it when someone in Belguim asks Aussies for lathe setup advice
    Thanks for the advice. I've been looking over a year now to find someone who has the same hobby like me... still ,nobody answers my calls...
    Zen-Master Dogen

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Plus 1 for the spindle at elbow. Both of mine are a little higher than that but that is only because I had made my benches at a height to suit what I wanted them to be and could not be bothered to change them. If I had to rebuild them I would set them at elbow height.

OH yes happy birthday can I borrow your wife when my birthday comes around
    Thanks a lot for the advice and no you can't borrow my wife: she really HATES traveling. Even wen we go to my cabin in the south of the country she hates the road, and it's only 200 km! She gets sick in cars, buses, trains, boats... everything that rides or floats!
    Zen-Master Dogen

Default Advice

Thank you all for the counsel. I'm gonna start on the new workbench, trying to make one with both my smaller tablesaw and cutter inside and the lathe on the side with hinges. If it should work, I'll post the pics. Otherwise....
    Zen-Master Dogen

Default New workbench

As promised, my new workbench with folded-away lathe. The other two build-ins are a Proxxon table-saw and a cutter(or is that a milling machine?). The bench is 95 x 140 cm, height 90 cm. I placed the lathe a bit higher, as from your remarks I know this should be less taxing on my back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zen-Master Dogen

Awesome workbench Leo. Also love the ingenuity of it. How cool. Can't wait to see what you make on that lathe. Did you get some lathe tools as well?

Bret

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Looks great Leo.....