Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the???

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
    The US craziness... ...and US shell supply business suffer.
    <--- seems the best way to describe it all!

I guess it's everyone's shell business that suffers in the end. Unfortunately I don't have a big call for pearl work so a small order from the US is good, but I guess that's out the door.
    Before long, I guess the same deal will apply to all tonewood timbers sent to-and-from with the red tape/costs/risks that go with it accordingly. Then what happens to all the luthiery business in Oz? I'm sure there's plenty of makers who send OS, and if America have taken this stance, will the rest of the world follow suit?

It reminds me of telescope makers who now can't buy 'pitch' to polish mirrors - a tree resin from pine sap if I remember right - because it's classed as a carcinogen (Edit - classed as such, because some boffin heard the term 'pitch' and jumped to the conclusion with no scientific reason) . A little crazy considering is no more carcinogenic than a piece of pine wood.

I just wonder when it ends, if ever?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You should have just got the guy to send you the wood. If it has no bugs, bug holes, bark, or any sign or rot it will go straight through. I have imported hundreds of pieces of Spruce, Ebony, Walnut, Maple and Rosewood with no problems except for one exception. Apparently a piece of Ebony send from the USA had some rot. I paid $40 fumigation fee and it arrived 3 weeks later. The info you were given is beaurocratic BS.

What Peter said. I haven't imported large quantities but everything goes straight through.

As previously noted the Lacey Act was an industry protection mechanism. Few "greenies" will argue that making trade illegal protects any species. Think Tiger, Rhino, BRW, etc. Prohibition never works, monopolistic capitalists cause these types of problems. Aim your anger in the right direction.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

I think what's got peoples knickers is calling this piece of documentation a passport, call it a certificate of compliance or authenticity or something.
    I think it's a good idea, rather than have the same hassle every time with language difficulties and officials of varying intellect.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

I doubt a D8 could get this thread back on track so it is terminated.

Edit

Off topic posts removed.
    And some that no longer made sense with the off topic posts gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12