Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Guitar Finish?

Default Guitar Finish?

I am in the process of trying to make an Electric Bass and plan to hopefully do a few more.
    I do have access to a compressor/gun etc and will most likely build a booth to spray in.
    I'm just wondering if Nitrocellulose Lacquer is still considered the "go to" finish for instruments, or are there other finishes I should be looking at as well?
    I'm obviously very green at this , but I know there are plenty here with a mountain of expertise in this field, so I would appreciate any opinions offered . . . thanks.
    Last edited by Slapfest; 24th September 2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: more info.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

if you use water base finishes the booth requirements will be minimal
    to spray nitro it should be registered - a lot just spray and dont bother but if anything went wrong it could mean big problems
    also look at oil finish and wiping varnish for low tech solutions
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Thanks for your input, Ray.
    I've used oil and wiping varnish before, and I will probably use an oil/wax finish on a bass I'm planning, but i havent used waterborne finishes at all.
    I read some articles some years back by noted Luthier Rick Turner suggesting that these water based finishes still needed some develoement to reach a standard where he would use them . Issues of cloudiness etc.... I guess I was wondering if there is any discernible difference these days?. I understand its eco friendly and easier to use and far safer, but is the finish as good? . . . and does anyone use polyurethane finishes or 2 pack finishes on guitars?

Couldnt help but notice this question went unanswered for a loooong time till Ray kindly chimed in . . Maybe these are dumb questions, or maybe theyve been asked many times before , but i would nonetheless really appreciate anyone's input that has had some experience or knowledge related to this.
    Thanks

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

i have had excellent results with target coatings EM6000 WB lacquer - very tough high gloss - takes a few weeks to cure though
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Also look at Mirotone range of lacquers - In particular Mirocat PC3220 - Live 3220 - Mirotone

It's what I use for all my builds, I really like it it. I believe its quite popular amongst the acoustic guitar builders too.

G'day Slapfest, people do use polyurethane and 2 packs or the UV cured ones if the have the gear. The Mirotone that Fletch referred to is pretty much Nitro with a bit of plastic to make it more flexible. It is good stuff and you can get that mirror finish with it but it's time consuming so you need to be patient.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fletch123 View Post
    Also look at Mirotone range of lacquers - In particular Mirocat PC3220 - Live 3220 - Mirotone

It's what I use for all my builds, I really like it it. I believe its quite popular amongst the acoustic guitar builders too.
    Does anyone know where you can get this in Brisbane? I've checked the suppliers list on their website and there's nothing for Brisbane.

Denim.

Quote Originally Posted by Denim View Post
    Does anyone know where you can get this in Brisbane? I've checked the suppliers list on their website and there's nothing for Brisbane.

Denim.
    Mirotone. 679 Progress Rd, Wacol, QLD 4076
    Brisbane Metro
    Tel: (07) 32711466
    Home - Mirotone
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.