Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_mx83 View Post
    If you are going to use a pump instead of compressed air, the reservoir doesn't really need to be a pressure vessel. On my small CNC i just cut a hole in the 20lt drum the oil comes in and dropped my pump & plumbing in. Let me know if you want some photos of the setup.
    The injector itself draws around 8amps @ 100% duty cycle, it is the pump that requires another 20 or so ( in my application)
    It is just a petrol injector, no diesel. My cutting oil is extremely thin and seems to squirt out just fine once you get the pressure right. Too much pressure and it atomises into a mist....
    I would happily send you an injector as i have heaps, but i dare say for the price of postage to the UK you could easily grab one from the junkyard and it would work out cheaper.
    Hi Andrew,

The scheme that went through my mind when I was typing the last post, was to use the old fire extinguisher by putting the cutting oil in it and using the stirrup pump to pressurise the vessel and force the oil out of the bottom and into the injector. A 555 timer IC and a suitable mosfet can be set up to fire the injector at a regular interval.
    Both time and duration could be controlled independently to adjust the quantity. I'll make a note about too much pressure. Cutting oil mist is not nice to breathe in.

Anyway many thanks for the offer of an injector !

I agree with you about postage costs, they are exorbitant. I believe that your postal rates are higher than ours. You may be aware that the post office here has just been privatised, so you can bet that prices will soon rise.

I'm on good terms with my local scrappy, so I know what he will say "What, take one off yourself !" and point me down the yard. I must admit I do get some nice bits and pieces from him from time to time.
    Best Regards:
    BaronJ.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Well, wouldnt that you off. Luckily i caught the fire before it spread too far.

Ive temporarily put the 3hp, 3phase motor that came out of the machine back on, with a vfd (all borrowed off my lathe) so i can finish off porting my cylinder head.
    Still deciding what to do longer term, but it sure as hell wont be getting another Chinese motor on it. Im so sick of Chinese crap.

Otherwise the machine has been running well and i bloody love it. i got the door back on the electrical cabinet and managed to run the mill on our recent 40+ degree days without any overheating issues (apart from operator overheating!). Im still stoked that i fit all the electronics in that little cabinet, it all looks very neat and has only 2 cables coming out (power & usb).

Otherwise the machine has been running well and i bloody love it. i got the door back on the electrical cabinet and managed to run the mill on our recent 40+ degree days without any overheating issues (apart from operator overheating!). I'm still stoked that i fit all the electronics in that little cabinet, it all looks very neat and has only 2 cables coming out (power & usb).
    Hi Andrew.
    Isn't the picture and the quoted comment a contradiction? On which of or after the hot days did the motor catch fire? Looks a lot like overheated capacitor or winding to me.....
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

Hi joe the motor caught fire yesterday at about 8am, pretty sure i had a jumper on at the time. It certainly wasnt hot, and had been a few days since the heat, in which time the machine had been running fine.
    It was merrily porting away (light load, long duration program) on Monday night, at about 2am it started bleching smoke so i killed it and went to bed. Again it wasnt a hot night at all, and the motor wasnt working hard enough that it should have gotten hot from being overworked. It probably removed less than a cubic inch of ally over 2 hours.
    Next morning when i applied power, all the lightning escaped from inside, followed by flames a few minutes later.

The previous motor i got from the same company had to be replaced due to it being smokey as well (this is back in winter time) and the replacement always had a funny noise to it. I kind of expected it to die, but maybe not so spectacularly.
    Im pretty certain this had nothing to do with the recent heat, more likely the stupid motor overheated due to its inherent Chineseness. Wrapping the capacitors in foam and using a non-fire retardant plastic for the terminal box wouldnt have been my first choice either...

Well, wouldnt that you off. Luckily i caught the fire before it spread too far.

Ive temporarily put the 3hp, 3phase motor that came out of the machine back on, with a vfd (all borrowed off my lathe) so i can finish off porting my cylinder head.
    Still deciding what to do longer term, but it sure as hell wont be getting another Chinese motor on it. Im so sick of Chinese crap.

Otherwise the machine has been running well and i bloody love it. i got the door back on the electrical cabinet and managed to run the mill on our recent 40+ degree days without any overheating issues (apart from operator overheating!). Im still stoked that i fit all the electronics in that little cabinet, it all looks very neat and has only 2 cables coming out (power & usb).
    That looks to me like the capacitor let go, and the rest of the damage was caused by the resulting fire... mostly they don't catch fire, they just burst and let out clouds of smoke. I would have expected the RCD to have tripped long before the damage got so bad?

Ray

It was on a dedicated motor circuit so no RCD. They dont like the large startup current. There is a breaker on the circuit, i was surprised it didnt trip. But i did kill the power pretty quick once the sparks started (not quick enough apparently, both solid state relays are dead)
    The old 3 phase motor and vfd are going strong, i think it has been running since about 7pm and it's now midnight and no signs of smoke or horrible smell. Think i might stick with the vfd path, but maybe one a bit bigger and another motor to suit.

I did a full oil change on the gearbox today and cleaned it all out with petrol and rags, i also levelled the machine which is much nicer than having a Leaning Tower of CNC. Both of these jobs were meant to be done ages ago!

Hello Andrew,
    I have the same Victoria Mill.
    I am quite impressed with your upgrades.
    I bought a bunch of milling heads from china last year and Unlike your elec motor capacitor its good quality.
    PM me if you are interested.
    I have a question. I had not used the old machine for some time ans when I started it up there was no oil flow from the drip feed window.
    the oil level was low so I put some 85-140 gear oil into it. It was too heavy and the pump loses its prime.
    What grade of oil did you use?
    regards Whitworth

Hi Whitworth

I had my oil guys ring the Shell technical line to see what the replacement was for Vitrea 37. They came up with "Omala S2 G 68" which is essentiallly a straight 68 weight gear oil.
    Prior to the oil change, the level was a little low and occasionally no oil would be present at the drip window. I no longer have the powerfeed parts inside the gearbox (which sit quite low) so i was able to raise the oil level by a couple of inches. This coupled with the new oil means i now have FAR more oil at the drip feed window, and all the time.
    You may be able to replicate this by lowering the pickup, i found it was originally sitting right on the oil line at "full"

While it was all apart i also tightened re-aimed all the squirters, and had them aimed for maximum flow over the higher speed gears where i use the machine.
    Another thing i did to accommodate for the higher speeds was to bring an oil supply up to the the spindle. You can see here where i run a rubber hose out of the gearbox which is connected to an oil squirter, it goes into a fitting which was originally a grease nipple. I cleaned all the grease out (not a nice job) and now have oil flow over the helical gearset inside and also the top 2 taper roller bearings via the T piece.
    The oil is mainly collected in the casting, where i drilled and tapped for a drain which goes back to the original gearbox fill point. A small amount of oil will make its way between the casting and the quill to keep this lubricated, which is total loss, er i mean rust prevention. In use bugger all oil makes its way past here due to the tight clearance anyway.
    The bearing packs inside the quill itself are still greased as they are part of a separate system and there was no easy way to bring oil upto them.

Default Victoria MK1 Mill

A few images of my Victoria Mk1 in action and my NT 40 Milling tools
    IMG_7455_1.JPG
    Machining component from 20mm plate
    IMG_7462_1.JPG
    Close up of the two Chinese milling heads
    IMG_7461_1.JPG
    My entire milling cutter collection in order of purchase
    IMG_7460_1.JPG
    A specialty Swarf removal tool
    IMG_7458_1.JPG
    Fabricated from sheet metal purlin

Thanks Andrew,
    For the information I put 85/140 the same oil as my truck diff and my Coldsaw gearbox.
    I forgot about the the pumps capacity to pump that viscosity.
    The pump works OK for a short while then slows down considerably.
    Do I take off the plate that holds the gear change levers to access the Oil pump and check the nozzles?

Hi Whitworth

I had my oil guys ring the Shell technical line to see what the replacement was for Vitrea 37. They came up with "Omala S2 G 68" which is essentiallly a straight 68 weight gear oil.
    Prior to the oil change, the level was a little low and occasionally no oil would be present at the drip window. I no longer have the powerfeed parts inside the gearbox (which sit quite low) so i was able to raise the oil level by a couple of inches. This coupled with the new oil means i now have FAR more oil at the drip feed window, and all the time.
    You may be able to replicate this by lowering the pickup, i found it was originally sitting right on the oil line at "full"

While it was all apart i also tightened re-aimed all the squirters, and had them aimed for maximum flow over the higher speed gears where i use the machine.
    Another thing i did to accommodate for the higher speeds was to bring an oil supply up to the the spindle. You can see here where i run a rubber hose out of the gearbox which is connected to an oil squirter, it goes into a fitting which was originally a grease nipple. I cleaned all the grease out (not a nice job) and now have oil flow over the helical gearset inside and also the top 2 taper roller bearings via the T piece.
    The oil is mainly collected in the casting, where i drilled and tapped for a drain which goes back to the original gearbox fill point. A small amount of oil will make its way between the casting and the quill to keep this lubricated, which is total loss, er i mean rust prevention. In use bugger all oil makes its way past here due to the tight clearance anyway.
    The bearing packs inside the quill itself are still greased as they are part of a separate system and there was no easy way to bring oil upto them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123