Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Cbg

Default Cbg

Cliff put up a post a while back, with a wip building a Cigar Box Guitar. I thought it quite clever how he went about the build, but didn't know what a CBG really was. Countless hours listening to Youtube videos later, and I WANT one of them things. Mind you, I can't play any sort of instrument, so that's a gotcha to be solved later. So spent a fair bit of time trawling the web for howtos, and the result is my first CBG. It certainly won't be the last, as the building is just so much fun.

Electrified it as well, which just adds to the enjoyment. It's got two piezo pickups. One on the 1 string side of the bridge, and the other on the 3 string side. 3 way switch selects either of the pickups, or both together. Plus it has master volume, and tone pots. Then I just had to make a practice amp to go with it. Haven't had so much fun in years. Don't actually need the amp, as it sounds just fine without it (but what-the-heck).

It is a scale length of 26.5", is fretted but has a high enough action so that it can also be played with a slide. Bone nut and bridge, and tuned open G (G D g).

PS. Thanks Cliff.....you've got me on a slippery slope.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looks great Chris! I find it helpful to get someone who can play give it a whirl to give feedback about playability etc. At least while you are learning.

Slippery slope is right, the walls are full at my place )
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Chris,
    Great first build.
    They are addictive. I just finished mine not long back and am on the lookout for bits and pieces to start the next one. Like you I was a bit of a musical novice so had to ask a few questions one here to get started. I went 4 string as I play a bit of uke so could get a tune out of it. I am thinking 3 string for the next go.
    You have really gone to town on the electrics. Where did you get the parts?
    Anyhow back to the rocking chair ''it's pikin time''.
    Regards
    John

I into laminated necks as well, and looks like a nice piece of Purple heart. Well done and hope it plays and sounds great too Chris.

Steve

Yeehaw.

Well done.

You beat me finished, mine is still a WIP.

Lots of sanding, started on the shellac this arvo, more sanding tonight.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    Chris,
    Great first build.
    They are addictive. I just finished mine not long back and am on the lookout for bits and pieces to start the next one. Like you I was a bit of a musical novice so had to ask a few questions one here to get started. I went 4 string as I play a bit of uke so could get a tune out of it. I am thinking 3 string for the next go.
    You have really gone to town on the electrics. Where did you get the parts?
    Anyhow back to the rocking chair ''it's pikin time''.
    Regards
    John
    Most of the parts have come from ebay USA. I couldn't find the right size split shaft pots here, but plenty in the states. The delivery time can be reasonable, but the postage cost really sucks. I have now found them for $9 for 20 from China (ebay). with free postage. The downside is the long delivery time. However, 20 pots will last me a long time, so planning ahead is the way to go.
    Chris

Life isn't always fair

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Yeehaw.

Well done.

You beat me finished, mine is still a WIP.

Lots of sanding, started on the shellac this arvo, more sanding tonight.
    Struck a problem with mine, when trying to lower the action. No matter what I did to the bridge, it made very little difference to the string height. Finally worked out that my stick was bending. So Mine is back to being a WIP, while I retrofit a stiffener. It's all a fun learning experience.
    Chris

Life isn't always fair

I see screws on the lid so if you have not glued things down then pack up the tail to get some down angle in the neck. I put about a degree or so on mine and it is still going. I can put some more in if things start to go off. You will need to pack up the bridge too. I only tension it up to play and the rest of the time it is slacked off.
    Regards
    John