Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Floating Floor

Default Floating Floor

Hi all,

I am installing a floating floor in my kitchen. It used to be vinyl tiles stuck to particle board. The rest of the house is carpet on particle board. When I removed the particle board from the kitchen, it was black and rotten. Should I reinstall particle board then install the Floating floorboards onto it, or should I just install the foam underlay straight onto the concrete? I plan on install the boards all through the house, so I will have to rip up the rest of the particle board under the carpet. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If your on a slab and its level dont even bother with the particle board if you plan on installing a floating floor. Just use the foam then the boards easy. Another way to go if you dont want to install quad around the edges is to remove your skirtings and use that to cover your gap around the edges. Just raise your skirtings the thickness of the boards plus a mm for clearance. Thats the only thing I dont like about floating floors is the quad they use to cover the gap, it looks better with it under the skirtings.

I'd be a bit worried about what happened to your particle board. Is it mould or rot? If so, the same thing will probably happen to your floating floor.

You don't need the particle board - and you might get away without moving your skirting boards if you take the particle board away first. But make sure the floor is level - you mgiht need a levelling compound if it is not.

Make sure, especially if you are laying it on a slab, that you use a water barrier (ie black builders plastic under the underlay foam and up the walls a bit. It is easier to do this bit if you've taken the skirting boards off first. Tape the plastic etc together to prevent the moisture coming through.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

find the source of the problem then fix it.

It is idea that all the floors are at the same level, so in your cases does the carpet butt flush with the viny

I'm not a fan of these new 'floating floors'. lots Ive seen look like caravan flooring and feel like vinyl to walk on. I suggest solid timber and there are 2 alternatives. Use 19mm thick boards which can go straight on to the joists or preferably, replace the particle board and put solid 13mm timber floor boards over that. You can then resand the floors in 4 or 5 years to get it all looking brand new again. Some of those cheaper floating floors have very thin veneers on top and won't last. I reckon people will be ripping them up all over Australia in less athn 10 years and replacing them as above.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

I found the source of the mouldy looking particle board, it was the excess glue they used to not only glue it to the concrete slab, but also to glue down the vinyl tiles.

The reason I am using Laminate, is becuase I plan on renting the place out in a year or so. I was told they are better wearing, and because they are cheaper, you dont mind so much with the tenants wearing high heal shoes etc...

There will be about a 8mm gap between the carpet and the boards, but I plan on doing the whole house soon, so that doesnt bother me too much.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    I'm not a fan of these new 'floating floors'. lots Ive seen look like caravan flooring and feel like vinyl to walk on. I suggest solid timber and there are 2 alternatives. Use 19mm thick boards which can go straight on to the joists or preferably, replace the particle board and put solid 13mm timber floor boards over that. You can then resand the floors in 4 or 5 years to get it all looking brand new again. Some of those cheaper floating floors have very thin veneers on top and won't last. I reckon people will be ripping them up all over Australia in less athn 10 years and replacing them as above.
    Dont disagree with what you say ....but.... with these floating floors there is a lot of different types out there and you pay for what you get. Some have as much veneer as you have sandable timber on solid boards, but from what I've seen they cost as much as solid timber floorboards just prefinished. What gets me is how they can get these veneer boards looking fake.

I used a floating floor in an office because I didn't want the dust from sanding to get into others books. Cost $65/m2. At the time I could have bought solid boards for $52/m2 plus battens, pins and sanding.

While on the subject......Whats is the best tool to cut laminate floorboards to size? Circular saw, jigsaw, drop saw, angle grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by micklejohn
    While on the subject......Whats is the best tool to cut laminate floorboards to size? Circular saw, jigsaw, drop saw, angle grinder?
    Have seen floor layers using either circular or drop saws for trimming boards to length.

I had a laminate floating floor put in a few years back....was laid over an old pinus strip floor.

Floor looks ok but surface is showing wear and tear from chairs and tables being moved around. My wife has actually put "chair socks" (available in Japan) on legs of all furniture to cut down damage to floor. Cant remember what the timber is but it isnt hard and the finish hasnt proved durable. If youre considering a floating floor then go for a hard timber, if going pre-finished check durability of same and when mopping the floor dont use harsh cleaners (water and meths recommended).
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by micklejohn

... you dont mind so much with the tenants wearing high heel shoes etc...
    Get in some Japanese tenants then you wont have any problems with footwear damaging the floor. Floating floor in my place would be history by now if it wasnt for the fact my wife is japanese and no footwear comes inside the house.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

If is lamiante u can use std timber blades a fine blade with heaps of teeth does the trick, beware laminate does kill the blade, so get ready to chuck it way.