Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cabots Danish oil on solid body guitar????

hi there. I`m just finishing a solid body guitar and having a bad time trying to coat it with spray lacquer. Have given up after two attempts...rubbing out buggered it...a spot that must have oil or something in the timber that just ruins things.....SO....I have bought some Cabots Danish oil..the polyurethane based one that you paint or wipe on...several coats a day apart and you end up with a matt finish. Thats all ok with me as I think the camphor laurel will look great anyway. I will have to sand the neck down to do the danish..pity as it sprayed great. Oh well.

Anyone have any negative thoughts on using this finish. I was suprised that it is poly based as I have some Organ oil which I used on the rosewood pick guard and it is a slight bit more shiny than matt. I thought (assumed) that the danish is the same as organ oil without the heavy citrus smell. Any suggestions folks???? Thanks in advance....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Shouldn't be an issue, plenty of people use danish oil variations for finishing guitars and the poly in it will probably give a bit of added protection. General look will probably be similar to your organoil with a sort of shiny matte finish to it. I've used some commercial tung oil mixtures with some sort of lacquer added to them and they make quite a nice looking finish, as well as a pretty good feel, although I add a carnauba wax coat over the top for a little extra protection and lustre.

Why is that you want to refinish the neck too, do you want it all to match?
    Make sure you post some pics when it's done

Default thanks...

I went to Bunnos and got some fine paper. Sanded to 1200 and then applied the DO. After almost 2 hours it is almost dry and feels so smooth. Another two coats and that should be it. Will wait till tomorrow to light sand with the 1200 then do the next coat. After the last coat is dry I will wait a few days and then give it a go with Mirrotone teak wax. The neck I might do...dunno yet. Will wait and see how the body comed up. and I`m not touching the pick guard as it`s looking great after a few coats of Organ oil. I would have done the guitar in OO but the smell...yuk. Citrus...... Will post some pics when it is finished. Thanks again for the reply.

The biggest problem when you were spraying is the wood needs to be pore filled first to prevent the spray from seeping down through the grain

Poly based products are good because they also close the grain and allow surface building

Default I agree...

I do agree with the pore filling yet I wanted the look sans pore filling. Trouble came to my door. I now have the second dried coat of DO on the axe and it`s looking pretty good. A couple more and it should look mickey mouse. Will post some pics when done.