Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

I,m still following Jim have been all along and enjoying every minute. As always looking good and glad to hear you are getting around the niggly little problems

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm still watching too Jim. Been away for a bit but I'm all caught up.

Looking great - you're really doing justice to this build. Nice work.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Yep, I'm still here in the peanut gallery too Jim! Really enjoying watching this come together and knowing that you are flagging all the potential issues for me

Cheers,
    Grant

I guess I was remiss in not saying "Thanks!" to those who pressed the 'like' button and did not post. I do that quite a bit as well........

The engine mount is now installed along with the carburetor, oil pump, air pump, magnetos and starter. The effort of 'plumbing should be quite interesting as the instructions say to just make the runs 'neat and short'.....oooookay...

But all of that will come after some more parts installs.....oil tank, water tank, fuel tank, etc.,etc.

The diagonal braces required a lot of fit adjustment but I think it worked....the mounting does not appear to my eyes to be off enough to influence the motor and prop mounting....I hope...

Anyway.....pics of the diagonal braces and the parts and mount assembly.....

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2963.jpgIMG_2964.jpgIMG_2965.jpgIMG_2966.jpgIMG_2967.jpgIMG_2968.jpgIMG_2969.jpg

Thumbs up

The excitement mounts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    The excitement mounts!!!
    So does the engine nearly

G'day Jim. Looking great, and just getting better and better.

I'm truly amazed at the amount of detail included in these models. Almost like building a real one, and far, far better than my paltry attempts at scale modelling. I'll have to step things up and try to get more fine detail into mine in future. I need new eyes, or maybe a microscope. The little caravan to go with the VW is next on the list.
    I'll get fired up again soon when the cold weather starts. For now, though, I'm still trying to get a handle on the woodturning, until I feel a bit competent.

I hope you're keeping the finished model for yourself and not giving it away. You've earned it.
    Keep up the great work.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    G'day Jim. Looking great, and just getting better and better.

I'm truly amazed at the amount of detail included in these models. Almost like building a real one, and far, far better than my paltry attempts at scale modelling. I'll have to step things up and try to get more fine detail into mine in future. I need new eyes, or maybe a microscope. The little caravan to go with the VW is next on the list.
    I'll get fired up again soon when the cold weather starts. For now, though, I'm still trying to get a handle on the woodturning, until I feel a bit competent.

I hope you're keeping the finished model for yourself and not giving it away. You've earned it.
    Keep up the great work.
    Hermit,

I appreciate your thoughts and compliments and glad you enjoy my work!

But I think you do yourself a disservice thinking your efforts are paltry. The quality and detail of your 'All Hand Made!' scale models is absolutely amazing. The wood crafting required is way beyond anything I would even attempt. Kits are for those without the skill and creativity to make from scratch and I am glad they exist for those of us without your kind of skill.

Anyway, maybe it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges....the real skill of kit making is the person/s who created the kit. It does take a bit of skill and patience to complete one though, I think, more patience than skill but you scratch builders are the real masters.

Cheers,

Jim

Looking good Jim. Don't undersell yourself either - there is a lot of skill required (as well as patience, stubbornness, and let's not forget, colourful language) to put one of these complex kits together!

Cheers,
    Grant

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by gjdale View Post
    Looking good Jim. Don't undersell yourself either - there is a lot of skill required (as well as patience, stubbornness, and let's not forget, colourful language) to put one of these complex kits together!

Cheers,
    Grant
    Very well said Grant.....Keep up the VERY GOOD WORK Jim as what you are doing is FIRST CLASS CRAFTSMANSHIP I hope to aspire to!! Cheers, crowie

Thanks for the comments and the 'likes'......keeps me motivated when it gets a bit 'tiny' and tedious. (and things don't adhere...)

This is a progress report with a few pics of tiny parts as well as the jig for holding the fuselage while all the stuff gets attached. I've decided to paint the parts as 'sorta' recommended, assuming that the machine guns can be gun metal(not suggested) and the fuel tanks could be black(not suggested).

I am hoping to not have to resort to epoxy for all these assemblies so am testing some alternatives......super glue gel, GS hypo cement, Goop.

The epoxy will certainly be needed for the wings and tail section.....but it is kind of a pain to work with on such small parts.

Cheers,

Jim

Note the difference between the drawing and the poorly cast part. The parts continue to be what seems randomly bagged....making confirming identity before using quite critical. I don't think I've used an incorrect or mis-identified part .......yet.......

IMG_2971.jpgIMG_2972.jpgIMG_2970.jpgIMG_2973.jpg

Jim,

That part that doesn't match seems way off. That would drive me bananas. I guess it would be ok if it doesn't effect something else that is attached to it. Keep up the great work. You have some great patience man!

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Jim,

That part that doesn't match seems way off. That would drive me bananas. I guess it would be ok if it doesn't effect something else that is attached to it. Keep up the great work. You have some great patience man!

Bret
    Bret,

Thanks!

Yes, it did kind of tick me off. But I decided to use it and proceed, having no confidence that a replacement would be any better. There are some copper lines that will be attached and will make up for the sloppy casting. This was a part that I saw early on but could not identify. Now I know why......

My wife is amazed at my patience while building....not sure how to interpret that....

Jim

I don't know how you even pick up some of those tiny parts. My fingers just don't always do what I want them to anymore. Part of getting old. It is looking fine. I enjoy watching you do it. I would not attempt it.

More great progress Jim. It's a real shame about the poor quality casting of some of the parts, as the rest of the kit seems really well put together. Don't suppose you'd consider manufacturing your own replacement part? With a mill and a bit of aluminium it should be possible (in theory, anyway!)