Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thanks Frank, Hermit, Grant and all the 'like' button folks.

Even though I may seem to be near the finish, there still is quite a bit of 'delicate' work to do. The next step is the undercarriage and lower wing. This is going to require some finesse as this thing is so fragile and the more I add on, the more difficult it is to figure out how to hold it and set it in order to weave the cabling and set the struts.

The fuselage cabling about drove me crazy.....took a lot of patience and a bit of guesswork.

My first pic is in honor of the tools I could not do without.........and even thought they are critical; even more critical is my magnifier lamp....would be impossible without it!

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_3025.jpgIMG_3026.jpgIMG_3027.jpgIMG_3028.jpgIMG_3029.jpgIMG_3030.jpgIMG_3031.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wow Jim,

I hadn't really appreciated just how complex the "rigging" was on this thing. It looks like one of our tall ships' rigging! Looks like you've got it well under control though - well done!

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Script View Post
    Thanks Frank, Hermit, Grant and all the 'like' button folks.

Even though I may seem to be near the finish, there still is quite a bit of 'delicate' work to do. The next step is the undercarriage and lower wing. This is going to require some finesse as this thing is so fragile and the more I add on, the more difficult it is to figure out how to hold it and set it in order to weave the cabling and set the struts.

The fuselage cabling about drove me crazy.....took a lot of patience and a bit of guesswork.

My first pic is in honor of the tools I could not do without.........and even thought they are critical; even more critical is my magnifier lamp....would be impossible without it!

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_3025.jpgIMG_3026.jpgIMG_3027.jpgIMG_3028.jpgIMG_3029.jpgIMG_3030.jpgIMG_3031.jpg
    Wow Jim. Your fingers & hands look as big as mine so the tools would have been invaluable in getting this lot completed....
    WELL DONE for both the patience's and time to get it done... Keep it coming sir.... Cheers, crowie

That is some awesome work! I would not have the patience for that, at all!

Thanks Grant,crowie,PLD and the 'likes'...

This is a two segment update...

The first series shows the lower wing attached as well as the landing gear. Had to find an aluminum can and cut out a little piece to use as the axle cover. Believe it or not, that was in the instructions....oh well.....

This part was kind of easy since there were few parts and the lower wing has just been waiting its turn to join the fuselage. The cabling wont be done until the upper wing is attached since there is a single continuous run through all the ailerons to the control stick. That is going to be fun...

The upper wing is next....it starts with four 'cabane' struts that will hold the wing while I custom make additional wood struts....I guess I missed that part when I read through the instructions and spent time looking through the parts bags for additional struts. Only four cast metal ones are included.

Definitely has become an epoxy project......

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_3036.jpgIMG_3034.jpgIMG_3033.jpg

Part 2.....

The upper wing is balanced on the four cast metal struts. I have not yet glued it in place. I had to glue the front struts in place and then measure spans and clearances to set the rear. Each strut required some gentle persuasion in order to line up with the connectors on the compression bars. I'm glad it worked without my causing a metal fatigue failure......

If nothing has come apart or changed shape by tomorrow I'll be fastening them and then starting the custom wood ones. Did I forget to mention more cable bracing!!

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_3037.jpgIMG_3038.jpgIMG_3039.jpgIMG_3041.jpg

Thumbs up

Superb work Jim!!!

Time to start looking for a suitable Snoopy doll!!

OR _ you could make one!!

This is just an amazing build

Maybe with the problems you are having with the kit you should just use it for reference and build a full sized version!
    Dave . . .
    I believe in Murphy's Law of Pre-requisites - Whatever I want to do, I have to do something else first.

Superb Jim, just superb!

Default FINISHED

Artme, Otakirilad, Grant, and 'like' buttonneers..

Thanks for the comments and for looking in on this build. It certainly provides that extra bit of iincentive to keep going when things get a little tedious or troubling.

This last month I've had quite a few distractions from my hobby room. Things have leveled out now and I had the time to finish the Camel. The rigging was very interesting and took some planning to come up with an order that would minimize the interference of one cable with another but it all worked out.
    Even though the controls and flaps, etc. are made to function and I did run the lines and controls, I've elected to fasten everything in place. The temptation to 'make the flaps move' would be too great and the craft is quite fragile.
    My plan is to suspend it from the ceiling of the room (provides for more space for more builds )

I've attached a few of the last construction and finish pics but intend to get some better shots when I can place it out in the sunshine and get some good angles.

Again, I appreciate the feedback, comments and support of all!

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_3043.jpgIMG_3044.jpgIMG_3045.jpgIMG_3046.jpgIMG_3047.jpgIMG_3048.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Well Jim, what a top journey you've taken us upon, Nov2013 to now, over 6 months of patient dedication.... VERY WELL DONE SIR.....
    The plane looks awesome and very much a credit to you craftsmanship Jim, overcoming lots of little hiccups.
    THANK YOU for all the extra time & effort to do all the photos and build notes, I for one [along with many others] have enjoyed & appreciated the build.
    Cheers, crowie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Jim on a very fine build. Your Camel looks superb and I'm sure will bring a smile to your face every time you walk into the room and see her hanging from the ceiling. Thanks for all your detailed construction notes, highlighting of potential hiccups, and demonstration of solutions. I will certainly use your log as a reference when I get around to building mine. And I know of at least one other of our MSW shipmates who has recently acquired this kit, so I've pointed him in this direction too.

Cheers,
    Grant

The plane looks awesome, what a credit to your skills, patience and craftsmanship.

Top Notch

Regards

Keith

Hi Script,
    Congratulations, Fantastic effort. Spare a thought for the designer of the kit, I just wonder how many get started and never finished because the builder hasn't the patience and skill it takes.

Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Awesome work. I kept thinking as you built this, be a shame to put a covering on it and cover up all the tedious detail work you did. Glad you are not. I would not have the patients to build something like that. Sir, you did mighty good!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast