Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways by Script

This has turned out to be quite an undertaking. The Rotary Engine is a kit inside the kit. I am building the engine first to have something finished when I tackle the skeleton. The engine itself has over one hundred parts....all quite small. In fact, it looks as if it will be more of a challenge for my shaky hands than was the 1:160 scale Rob't E Lee.....

This is my first experience with Model Airways.

Engine.... the valve lifters and eyelets at the crank end are brass while the rest of the engine is britannia metal...been having a devil of a time figuring out how to hold the rods in place while waiting for glue to set. I've been through a number of types of glue...still looking for the best combination.

Looks like I'll be doing the whole thing under my inspection magnifier........

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2873.jpgIMG_2872.jpgIMG_2874.jpgIMG_2875.jpgIMG_2876.jpgIMG_2878.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day Jim,
    Even with all the little issues you mention, you certainly made a good start on the project....great photos too...
    keep up the good progress; watching with interest.
    Cheers, crowie

Looks like a very interesting build. Engine has not taken you long to get this far I am looking forward to the main plane build and how you will shin it.

I've been looking forward to this one, Jim. I'm along for the ride.
    Hard to imagine 100 parts just going into the motor. You're off to a good start, though.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Crowie, dalboy, hermit,

Thanks for looking in......nice to know someone is watching....extra motivation...

After announcing there were more than 100 parts for the engine, I thought maybe I ought to check. Well, I counted all the parts, not including the prop, and there are actually 127! Now many are repeat of the same part but they all require installation....With 9 cylinders, there are many 9 or 18 part attachments...1 or 2 to each cylinder....rocker arms, induction pipes, tappet seats, valve lifters, etc. And they are all so small I fear losing one to the vast wasteland called.....the floor!

Anyway, this is a busy visitor weekend so I hope to make some more progress next week.

Cheers,

Jim

Oh, And thanks to those who check the 'like' box. I find myself doing that as well many times...........

G'Day Jim,
    Your engine looks way better then this old one I saw in Luganville...

Cheers, crowie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Snap

Hi Jim,

I have just embarked on the self same kit myself a few weeks ago, but am already finding it hard going because of the quality of the documentation. For example the valve lifters in the manual call for 15/16"x 1/16" brass rod, but the kit list shows only 1/32" brass rod for this purpose, and 1/32" is the only item included. It looks like you are using the 1/32" as there is clearly lots of gap in the valve seats around the lifters. I am sure 1/16" would work better... keep us informed, I will follow your progress with interest

R2

Quote Originally Posted by rummers2 View Post
    Hi Jim,

I have just embarked on the self same kit myself a few weeks ago, but am already finding it hard going because of the quality of the documentation. For example the valve lifters in the manual call for 15/16"x 1/16" brass rod, but the kit list shows only 1/32" brass rod for this purpose, and 1/32" is the only item included. It looks like you are using the 1/32" as there is clearly lots of gap in the valve seats around the lifters. I am sure 1/16" would work better... keep us informed, I will follow your progress with interest

R2
    G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "R2".
    There are quite a few members in and around Europe and across the globe....
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork/toymaking & modeling..
    Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

PS - Please start a new thread to show off your handiwork.....

Quote Originally Posted by rummers2 View Post
    Hi Jim,

R2
    Hi R2,

You are correct in that I am using the 1/32" rod. The gap in the seats only shows,to me, under magnification and does allow some flexibility in setting. This is one of my rare ventures into metal working and I'm learning as I go. As Crowe said, it would be great if you were to start a build log. I have also been custom cutting every rod as my lifters are quite inconsistent, using the tappet seats as a way to adjust for the differences.

Cheers,

Jim

It looks like you have got one hell of a project there Jim but you appear to have got off to a good start. I will be watching with interest.
    Cheers Frank.

Default Build Project

Quote Originally Posted by Script View Post
    Hi R2,

You are correct in that I am using the 1/32" rod. The gap in the seats only shows,to me, under magnification and does allow some flexibility in setting. This is one of my rare ventures into metal working and I'm learning as I go. As Crowe said, it would be great if you were to start a build log. I have also been custom cutting every rod as my lifters are quite inconsistent, using the tappet seats as a way to adjust for the differences.

Cheers,

Jim
    Thanks for that information Jim, I will indeed start a thread with my build project, but as this is such a busy time of year I have put it on hold for a few weeks, so no progress will be made before then. I will follow your activities with interest are my forerunner

R2

Got a few more things started.....

Finished install the lifter rods and tappet seats....in the attached photo, there is a rod and seat missing....noticed when I took the magnified pic.......have subsequently installed the missing parts.

Painted the spark plugs...white insulators...first coat. Not sure if another coat will be necessary. Notice that all 18 plugs fit on the penny........quite tiny.

Have glued the propeller parts and once it dries, will be sanding and shaping.....finally some wood work....

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2879.jpgIMG_2880.jpgIMG_2881.jpg

Nice work so far Jim.
    Looking forward to the rest of the build.
    Cheers, Ian
    "The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

Frank, Ian, and anyone I may have missed....

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. .....it keeps me motivated to get something done when things get tedious.........like installing the 18 sparkplug wires...

Wouldn't ya know that it'd take me to the last two cylinders to figure out the best process. At that point, I realized that using cut lengths and threading both at the same to to each was the simplest way. Oh, well.....now I know how to do my next rotary engine!

My next task is shaping the propeller. Not sure how much can be done with power tools so am going to take my time and try not get over eager chunking pieces of wood.

So here are some magnified views of the semi-finished rotary engine.

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_2887.jpgIMG_2888.jpgIMG_2885.jpgIMG_2889.jpg

That engine is coming along great, Those plugs are nice and fiddly especially at such a small size let alone doing the leads, isn't it always the way just as you get to the end of section of the build you go and find a simple way or someone comes in and then tells you the easiest way to do it.
    Well done on the build so far.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast