Default My Turning Workshop.

For some time now I've been reluctant to post workshop photos. But because of Ray's persistence I've changed my mind and decided to give it another go.

Every time I've done any I get these insulting remarks that it's too clean and too organised. Whilst some prefer to have a cluttered workshop or shed, I don't. I spend a lot of time in there since my retirement and I like to live and work in comfort.

When I'm working and doing a project the shop does get dirty and messy, but before I start another day I clean up and put my tools away. Others don't and can't work in a clean shed or don't have the time or space that I have, but I don't criticize them so I expect none on my setup.

About 18 month ago, whilst I was having many sleepless nights because of the tablets my doctors put me on, I planned a complete workshop upgrade to reflect my current interest.

But because of my health problems lots of things had not been done for a while, so before I could start I had renovate part of the house, get the garden back into shape, paint the fence and also paint the outside of our big double storied weatherboard house as well as a myriad of little projects to finish. Still have some unfinished and some more to do but I have got the major part of the workshop upgrade finished.

First step was to finish the wood store and build some more garden sheds to store the gardening implements. That freed up a 10 ' * 10' garden shed to store most of my metalworking activities and nuts, bolts and screws out of the main workshop. The shed that was the finishing shed has become the main storage shed for portable and other flat woodworking tools as well as my small clamp collection.

This has given me lot's of room in the actual workshop to allow me to concentrate on turning.

Peter.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default The main workshop.

With the majority of the tools being moved out I now have the combined TS/router table, the drill press and band saw in the main workshop as well as a small fridge and microwave.

This gives lots of bench space to work and ponder at. I can now leave a partly completed project in one corner and get on with another.

I also added another layer of foam interlocking mats to give a very comfortable floor to work at. At the rear of this is the turning area.

Here are some photos of the main area.

Attachment 295277 Attachment 295278
    Peter.

Peter you have inspired me since even before becoming a member of this forum when I sat on the fence peering in. I would love sheds like yours and be able to keep them that way. I try believe me always a clean up before closing the door.

Then to see you go through your medical problems and still have the love and enthusiasm for what we many of us regard as a haven/hobby/hide away leads others in your path.

I know I have said some of the things you mention but its always in jest. Shed work always creates a mess I hated working that way when I was employed its dangerous and injury often happens because of it.

Ray

Default The original turning area.

Didn't change much in here as the setup of the main lathe and mini lathe was well organised. I moved some of the turning tools and chucks to the new area.

The main lathe is now only for spindle turning and the mini lathe for my Corian pendants and bracelets as well as little things. Occasionally I even turn some pens.

These photos show various aspects of this section.

Attachment 295279 Attachment 295280 Attachment 295281

Peter.

Default The new and additional turning section.

On the other side of the turning area I used to have a jointer, drill press, band saw and a mitre saw as well as a sander and sharpening station. It was rather crowded in there and moving most of it out made room for an additional lathe for bowl turning and decent polishing set up.

This photo gives an overview of the new area.
    Attachment 295282

The new lathe I built diagonally on the bench with part of the bed I don't need going out through the wall into the storage area behind it, formally the spot of the mitre saw. and I built shelving above for the various reverse turning chucks as the next photos show.

Attachment 295283 Attachment 295284 Attachment 295285

Finally on the other side I've built a proper polishing station. Some time ago I got through the forum a free lathe from a member who was giving up turning. This I was able to adapt to my buffing set up which uses the Beall three in one polishing wheels as well as the polishing mops I got from Ubeaut years ago.

Attachment 295286 Attachment 295287

Of course I've got double foam matting on the floor for a comfortable work area and stools nearby if I need a rest.

I've been using it for a while now and it is a real joy to turn in there.

I hope you have enjoyed a peek at the new setup and if you have questions I'll see if I can answer them.

Peter.

I must say that's a fantastic environment to spend your time +1 for a clean shed its nice to know where things are when you need them, try as I may to keep things clean I can't beat your effort, love it
    regards
    Joel

Great setup Peter. Looking forward to heading your way on the 8th for the GTG with Neil.
    +1 for the clean workshop. I hate a messy environment too.
    Dallas

Peter just like you explained to me excellent lay out very workable. I like the bottle of Dimples in the corner guess if I took a drink I'd need to be buffed afterwards.

The use of the old lathe brilliant so many get tossed and scraped without a thought of what they could be used for.

edited to add I spotted the corian glue up also

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Peter just like you explained to me excellent lay out very workable. I like the bottle of Dimples in the corner guess if I took a drink I'd need to be buffed afterwards.

The use of the old lathe brilliant so many get tossed and scraped without a thought of what they could be used for.

edited to add I spotted the corian glue up also
    The Dimple bottle is there because I want to turn one. It will need multiple holdings which is just up my alley. Started on it once and the blank disintegrated as it was too soft. When I get a good blank and time I'll turn one like it. BTW the bottle I got when I was still at the Swagman in the 70's.

The Corian glue up is a next project. This will be in the shape of a winged bowl, time permitting.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    The Dimple bottle is there because I want to turn one. It will need multiple holdings which is just up my alley. Started on it once and the blank disintegrated as it was too soft. When I get a good blank and time I'll turn one like it. BTW the bottle I got when I was still at the Swagman in the 70's.

The Corian glue up is a next project. This will be in the shape of a winged bowl, time permitting.

Peter.

Peter bugger Dr's and arthritis I'm coming down for a taste ............I mean a visit that has got to be one heck of a heritage bottle. One of my first educational tours also 70's the kids and teachers got me a bottle of Dimples which I opened 21 years latter and share with my family.

Plenty time Peter maybe you can demo it at the GtG

Ray,

I've worked out that to turn a Dimple shape bottle will require 10 different chucking/rechucking operations, being first between centres, then in the shark jaws for basic shaping. The next three will need to be crossways on a screw chuck to turn holding tenons for holding to turn the dimples. For the dimples I need to adapt a doughnut chuck to hold them and then back on the shark jaws for removing the tenons and removing the centre and parting of. Finally it needs to be held in one of my special hollowing holding chucks to finish the bottom.

A bit too long for a demo at a GTG I think.

Peter.

Cut blank triangular, remove corners reduce chipping and breakage
    mount on oval chuck x 3 turn the dimples
    mount on shark jaws x 1 rough turn the outer dia neck and base drill hollow out still in shark jaws final outer turning
    sand and finish

Of course some hand shaping maybe required.

I meant turning of corian already glued Peter

Thumbs up

That is a really great set up there Peter.

I particularly like your saw guard.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    That is a really great set up there Peter.

I particularly like your saw guard.
    Thanks, the saw guard is home made from clear perspex and can be raised or lowered as needed as the bar is from an old beach umbrella. It can also be removed completely when I need an extra table with the saw blade lowered and the fence removed. Much better then the one that came with the saw.

Also the overhead shelf above the TS, enclosing the steel beams that hold the house up, are all the things I need for the TS, eg, special spanners to change saw blades, push sticks, compressed air outlet and duster, saw blades and dado blade set.

Peter.