Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Grand Plans

Default Grand Plans

In four month I'll be finally moving no longer living out a single room and will finally have a workshop…. The place I am moving too is currently the residence of a artist wood worker known for carved furniture etc. He isn't retiring just moving on so will be wanting all his machines and wood.

Having never had a workshop before I am wondering how best to lay it out as I have need for three purposes in the workshop. Motorcycle building & maintenance, Metal working, and woodworking.

I am thinking to have the metal working one side and the bikes near that and the wood the other side. I am also thinking the wood sanding, turning etc should be in a isolated area to control dust.

What do you guys think?
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

This is the small back room with 3 full wall size sliding doors.
    IMG_3938.JPG
    Main area looking into small room
    IMG_4581.JPG

Main area looking into office
    IMG_3946.JPG

Inside office
    SL373780.JPG

Main area 2HP Dusty & Ducting is staying
    IMG_3939.JPGIMG_3940.JPGIMG_3941.JPGSL373782.JPGSL373783.JPG

Exterior front and entry to main area
    IMG_3961.JPG

External wood storage
    IMG_3963.JPG

2 Phase Power?? (2x240V) I need 3 Phase (
    IMG_4569.jpg

Just because i thought it was a cool idea!!
    IMG_4576.jpg

Screen shot 2013-12-02 at 6.58.57 PM.png

Yes i am very excited, to the point I may loose my last few marble and go completely mad waiting for the next 4 months to pass!!

Wondering if I should keep the wood sanding & turning etc in the small 3m x 4.2 area as it can be closed off from the shed and opened on the other two sides to nature? Or should I make that the Bike workshop??

Also thinking I don't need the office and that could be used for workshop although it has been plastered and has the built in book case.
    Maybe I could put the small myford in there? Other ideas what it be good for?

Is it better to move the Dusty outside??

Hi Dale, looks good you won't know yourself in there, I had the same setup dilemma I leterally cut out of paper scale sized drawings of my static machines footprint and laid them out on a scale floor plan of my shed and moved them around until I came up with something I liked and would work in with the dust extraction which in my opinion is best situated outside for noise and dust contamination reasons. I am lucky enough that the neighbors are far enough away that it wont disrupt them.
    I also think metal and woodwork areas should be separated unfortunately I dont have the room for that, and also don't do a whole lot of metal work so most of that is done outside.
    have fun with the layout. another thing I had to consider was what lengths of timber I would be cutting or machining.
    cheers
    Joel

Joel,

I'm not really sure what size work envelope is needed for a lot of the machines. As what I have got so far I really haven't had the space or opportunity to use and the rest will have to be slowly acquired. I think the first build will have to be a timber workbench so I can start doing some furniture to sit on and eat at etc. I do have a hall table I made, which now will have a pride of place in the entry

Thumbs up

Good set up there! Lucky you!!!

How good is that electric vise???

For me, the bikes could go in the little closed off area, the office remain the office, dusty outside in it's own little shed/lean to, near the water tank and ported thru, lathe along on of the windows.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

One of major concerns is the containment of the dust will a 2HP dusty & a vacuum for hand power tools keep the place pretty clean? or just a bit cleaner?

Nice score on the shed Dale
    Don't be to consumed with trying to get it perfect first go.
    After a few projects under your belt u will have a better idea off were u want things
    And may want to move things around a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sorry - I only just saw this.

Firstly - what a great space to be able to work in!

Quote Originally Posted by DSEL74 View Post
    Wondering if I should keep the wood sanding & turning etc in the small 3m x 4.2 area as it can be closed off from the shed and opened on the other two sides to nature?
    This idea has merit. However just relying on nature will not be enough for dust control will not really be enough. I lost my sense of smell for 6 weeks sanding MDF outdoors. That room really needs its own DC - the 2HP would be OK for that room.

Is it better to move the Dusty outside??
    Absolutely.
    As you can see the current occupant "has a bit of a dust problem"
    From what I can see the following is obvious
    - that 50 mm hose connected between the SCMS and the 6" ducting doesn't have a hope of collecting much dust
    - a 2HP is WAY too small for that size shed. As soon as y >3m runs of ducting are used when a DC is placed outside an effective system can really use 3+ HP. for 50m2 you really should have 4HP.

If it was mer I would do the motorcycle building in the office, the hot bits of the metal work in the small room and ww in the main space.

Thanks for the feedback.

Work in it and don't make any permanent decisions until you have spent some time getting used to the large area. I have much the same problem, a superkart in one corner, metal work and woodwork. It all seems to co-exist OK though I am in the middle of the third re-model due to change of circumstances.
    CHRIS