Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Peter, here is my best knowledge of the situation: the hw110lge is the full sized 3hp cabinet saw and I can certainly confirm it has 30mm arbor in Australia/Europe (5/8" in North American markets). The hw110hb is Harvey's 2hp hybrid saw and is only available in 5/8" arbor.
    To be honest 5/8" will give you more choice for sources of blades and is a proven size as used in USA, especially for the 2hp motor, so I wouldn't see this as a downside even if it does look small in appearance. It's not the size that counts... At least that is what I tell myself

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Harvey with Incra Fence

Well I've been using my Harvey over the last couple of weeks and still in love with it. Just got the Incra fence all done and now I'm more in love with it. It may not be the best and most expensive on the market but you got just say I've got the best of both worlds now and I hope for a very long time. I'm going to guess that the quality of my woodwork will not improve but my enjoyment of doing woodwork will.

SB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Default Change of heart

Hi Guys,
    Well, I must be part female(no offence ladies) cos I changed my mind!
    I ended up ordering a HW110LGE-30.
    Mind you in saying that, I was very taken back(in a good way) by the version in the "Get Woodworking" shop floor.
    Very impressive, but just a little too expensive.
    But I will bite my tongue til February when the new shipment arrives.
    No more changes to my decision.
    I did go and have a look at the Leda craft and the Laguna Fusion and Platinum.
    But I came back to the Harvey.

Now proud Harvey owners, which trolley did you buy to move your Harvey around.
    I didn't even think of that til the other night......lights are on but nobody home at times!!!
    Thanks guys for the reply's too. It is great to hear from you. I need all the help I can get!
    Now to just sit back and wait, Oh, I also need to clear my garage, to make way for the new baby

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Superbunny View Post
    Well I've been using my Harvey over the last couple of weeks and still in love with it. Just got the Incra fence all done and now I'm more in love with it. It may not be the best and most expensive on the market but you got just say I've got the best of both worlds now and I hope for a very long time. I'm going to guess that the quality of my woodwork will not improve but my enjoyment of doing woodwork will.

SB
    Hi SB,
    Am I to guess that the standard Fence was not quite to your liking?
    It sure does look like and imposing piece of gear!
    Did you see it in operation before you bought yours?
    Did you buy it locally to you, or sourced it out of country?

I had a quick look at the INCRA Miter gauges 5 and 1 degree versions. I think they were in basic trim, but looked like they could be built up into something nice and accurate.

Merry Christmas to all

Peter

Wow SB, that fence looks amazing. While the standard fence is quite good in my inexperienced opinion, that one looks like a while other league in terms of accuracy.

Peter, I originally set out on the HB or Laguna fusion but ended up on the LGE, no regrets here
    Mine sits on this mobile base because it was on special when I went to carbatec, and still is at $99 http://www.carbatec.com.au/universal...apacity_c21816
    It is effective but you can still feel the weight of the saw when moving it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter010956 View Post
    Hi SB,
    Am I to guess that the standard Fence was not quite to your liking?
    It sure does look like and imposing piece of gear!
    Did you see it in operation before you bought yours?
    Did you buy it locally to you, or sourced it out of country?

Peter
    Hi Peter, I already had the Incra on my Triton saw table and purchased it about 18 months ago direct from the good old USA. At the time it was incredibly cheap and cost me about $650 landed and delivered to my door which is about half price and it's in metric. The Incra is just the bees and has micro adjustments as well, I always thought one day it would go on a decent table saw to do its best. As I had the Incra I didn't need the fence that comes with the Harvey so I saved about $145 on the price. I had seen it in action in the Incra video and a friend of mine had one so knew it was a good bit of kit. The Incra can still be purchased from Incra in the USA or PWS in Melbourne. You can get the Jessem guides from Jessem in the USA but you need a US address to post to first as they don't post to Australia direct but that's easy to set up with a transit company.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Default New Harvey 110LGE-30 Owner ... just dialling it in

My 110LGE-30 arrived today ... well the chassis did ... the other two boxes, and the mobility set are in transit

Just started to assemble ... this is my first table saw and I have a lot to learn.

With the blade installed the 90 degree IS indeed 90 degree.

I am yet to check 45 degrees as I have to work out the maths for slope and distance from pivot point and use my vernier and dial to check ... or maybe I just cut some wood and test it.

I ran the dial over the blade and followed the instructions on checking and correcting.

I have noticed that in some videos a square is used to measure the distance between the T slot to the blade .... and then slide the square to the rear of the blade to check that distance. I did this with the dial and got mixed readings ... sometimes it was spot on ... other times out by 8/1000. Then it dawned on me that I was measuring the blade for alignment with the T slot and not the T slot with the blade.

The correct method I since learned is to put a pen mark on the blade .... measure the distance to the T slot at the front..... AND THEN rotate the blade and measure the same marked point at the rear of the blade.

I did this and ... set the dial to zero at the front ... photo 3.JPG rotated the marked spot and got a reading of -2.5/1000 at the rear of the bladephoto 4.JPG

I then repeated this over 6 other locations and got generally the same result -2 to -3. This meant that the rear of the table had to rotate to the left ... by about 6/1000

I then loosened off 3 of the 4 top holding bolts and cracked the 4th (front right) to use it as a pivot point. I use a dead weight rubber mallet to "inch" the top across ... got the rear to zero, moved to the front of the blade and corrected the front to zero ... and repeated this seesawing 3 times. I then kept checking as I tightened the bolts again.

The results were then ... zero at the front ..photo 1.JPG and .... as close to zero as I could get at the back of the bladephoto 2.JPG

What blades have you chaps got for the Harvey ... I bought a 8" Freud SD208 for the Laguna I had delivered just before Christmas (but never used ... long story) and it's 5/8ths ... costs $75 to have bored out to 30mm so I might sell them on and get a real 30mm set, any recommendations on this and for other blades too please?

Having a great time in the workshop

Rob

Nearlly 2 years on and I still love my saw.

i got a bigger man cave about 9 months ago so updated to the 50" rails. Other then that no other changes

the table still exceeds my capability

Still going well here too, but I cheated and moved my 30" rails across by one bolt position to give me enough capacity to cut standard cabinet sides. I saw people doing this in USA with the identical Grizzly saw.

After taking delivery and installing the saw and like just about everybody else, falling in love with it.
    I then decided that a sliding table would be nice!
    It is a fantastic piece of kit. It allowed a 6 seat table top to be trimmed to length on the Harvey all by my self.
    Very impressed.
    Then I went to the last WwW show and noticed a Harvey with the Router table fitted....yum.
    A handy inclusion.
    Asa side note...I visited Baileigh Industrial in Tullamarine the other day and noticed a 10" table saw the is IDENTICAL to our HARVEY....right down to the Sliding table and router table.
    Didn't get a price, but will ask next time I'm there.
    I'm after a Thicknesser at the moment...any thought would be helpful(Sorry, i know not this forum)
    Regards
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter010956 View Post
    After taking delivery and installing the saw and like just about everybody else, falling in love with it.
    I then decided that a sliding table would be nice!
    It is a fantastic piece of kit. It allowed a 6 seat table top to be trimmed to length on the Harvey all by my self.
    Very impressed.
    Then I went to the last WwW show and noticed a Harvey with the Router table fitted....yum.
    A handy inclusion.
    Asa side note...I visited Baileigh Industrial in Tullamarine the other day and noticed a 10" table saw the is IDENTICAL to our HARVEY....right down to the Sliding table and router table.
    Didn't get a price, but will ask next time I'm there.
    I'm after a Thicknesser at the moment...any thought would be helpful(Sorry, i know not this forum)
    Regards
    Peter
    i have another post on this however my recomendation is the normal 20" Carbatec and then buy a proper Spiral from RDG.

Thanks for the updates guys. This saw is still on my wishlist and it's great to see no regrets still. One day...

Still love the saw. Point to note is that it is now a LGE 50.

I have made a zero clearance insert and should have done it years ago.

one thing to note is that it is now very hard work raising and lowering the blade. Not sure why. Maybe I need to clean something

when i have 5 mins to spare I will look into it

I am finally (after two years) hoping to make my order in the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienol View Post
    one thing to note is that it is now very hard work raising and lowering the blade. Not sure why. Maybe I need to clean something
    when i have 5 mins to spare I will look into it
    Damienol, Did you get it sorted in the end? I remember seeing a couple people with this problem, so it'd be good to know how easy it was to resolve.

I've also discovered that the price of the HW110LGE has gone up by some $600 (to $1500) :'(
    The equivalent Carbatech has gone up too ($1300), so I think I'd still pay the extra for the Harvey.

So now I have a couple last questions for everyone:
    * Do I really need the HW110LGE, or will I be happy with the HW110HB (or Carbatech MJ2325CT)? (yeah yeah it's subjective. I just need someone to persuade me one way or the other)
    * Has anyone else had the problem with the vertical blade movement on the HW110LGE? What did it take to fix it?

I'm strictly a hobbiest, I just like having good stuff. I figure the easier it is to do something, the more likely I'll do it.
    I really like the little extras on the HW110LGE - left tilt, riving knife, long arbor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyG View Post
    I am finally (after two years) hoping to make my order in the next week.

Damienol, Did you get it sorted in the end? I remember seeing a couple people with this problem, so it'd be good to know how easy it was to resolve.

I've also discovered that the price of the HW110LGE has gone up by some $600 (to $1500) :'(
    The equivalent Carbatech has gone up too ($1300), so I think I'd still pay the extra for the Harvey.

So now I have a couple last questions for everyone:
    * Do I really need the HW110LGE, or will I be happy with the HW110HB (or Carbatech MJ2325CT)? (yeah yeah it's subjective. I just need someone to persuade me one way or the other)
    * Has anyone else had the problem with the vertical blade movement on the HW110LGE? What did it take to fix it?

I'm strictly a hobbiest, I just like having good stuff. I figure the easier it is to do something, the more likely I'll do it.
    I really like the little extras on the HW110LGE - left tilt, riving knife, long arbor.

Thanks
    Sorry but I havent even tried to fix it. Having too much fun using it to be too bothered by it.

I am a hobbiest too and my advice is buy the best you can afford. It will serve you well in the long run. Every cheap tool I have ever bought has had to replaced either due to reliability, capability or accuracy issues.

To date I have not had any of these issues with my quality purchases

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast