Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Exclamation

Get it right Keith or the Nitpickers' Union might get their representative to have a say!!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Get it right Keith or the Nitpickers' Union might get their representative to have a say!!!
    The photo I sent previously of the T model with the cylinder on the side running boards still intrigues me. Is it an acetylene generator or not ? I don't know - I am assuming it is. That may be my defence. Ha Ha.

Not that any of this matters one bit Keith, I'm just having fun researching the subject.
    I found a picture of a horizontal acetylene generator on a 1912 Buick and on a T Model.
    They were made by a company called Prestolite.
    So your spot on with your truck!

246951.jpg 48608.jpg

The other thing that the cylinder in your photo could be is a acetylene starting system.
    They put a measured amount of acetylene into each cylinder of the engine before ignition.

Start5.jpg

None of which really matters at all, so long as you enjoy what your building.

Trevor.

Hi guys,

Trevor, Thanks for all your research for me, really appreciate it. Before your latest reply I decided to pull the horizontal acetylene generator model apart and rebuild a vertical one. The outlet valve for the acetylene I turned up out of aluminium bar and used miId steel for the valve handle. The top securing bolt is also turned out of aluminium and the tightening handle is mild steel. The cylindrical body is a cut down pringles chip container. The top plate of the generator is pine I turned in the lathe as is the bottom base support. Thanks again for your research.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice work mate.
    It will look great on the truck!
    Made from a pringles chip container now your talking my language!
    Great stuff Keith.

Trevor.

Hi All,

Probably the most intricate and difficult part of the build has been making the Ford logo. I printed out a 1915 Ford logo (there have been a number of subtle changes over the years). I made sure the size of the print was the size that would scale to the radiator. I glued this onto 3mm MDF and allowed it to dry for at least 24 hours. I then cut out the logo using my scroll saw. You need to be extremely careful not to break any of the cursive writing joins. Then I used needle files to roughly smooth off all the cuts. I the cut small strips of sandpaper ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide) to sand all the cuts. 3mm MDF breaks very easily. This logo took me about 3 hours to make. Need to make another for the back of the ute tub.

Thumbs up

That is very fine work indeed Keith!! Very well done sire!!

That really turned out nice. I am never very successful with MDF, as you say breaks so easily. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hogan View Post
    Hi All,

Probably the most intricate and difficult part of the build has been making the Ford logo. I printed out a 1915 Ford logo (there have been a number of subtle changes over the years). I made sure the size of the print was the size that would scale to the radiator. I glued this onto 3mm MDF and allowed it to dry for at least 24 hours. I then cut out the logo using my scroll saw. You need to be extremely careful not to break any of the cursive writing joins. Then I used needle files to roughly smooth off all the cuts. I the cut small strips of sandpaper ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide) to sand all the cuts. 3mm MDF breaks very easily. This logo took me about 3 hours to make. Need to make another for the back of the ute tub.
    You might try this logo using 3mm ply. I've done something similar with it, and it doesn't break as easily as MDF.
    If enlightment is not where you are standing, where will you look?
    Zen-Master Dogen

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_3344 View Post
    You might try this logo using 3mm ply. I've done something similar with it, and it doesn't break as easily as MDF.

I agree with Leo these are made from 1/8" ply using a very fine blade very little clean up needed

DSCF1878.jpg

A bit more done on the ute.

I have made driver and passenger side rear vision mirrors. I turned 5mm MDF to the correct OD ad then recessed to fit round mirrors I purchased in a ladies compact ($2.50 at Reject Shop). I then araldited the mirror in the recess. I made a cover annulus out of 3mm MDF and glued in position to retain and finish off the mirrors.
    Photo attached shows acetylene generator sitting in position. I have made ute tub floorboards out of pine and stained them cedar. I have glued and nailed into position. (Used 1.5mm nails).

Weighed it - Would you believe 80kg. HEAVY.

Keith

I am truly enjoying watching you build this. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress. It is looking so good.

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    I am truly enjoying watching you build this. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress. It is looking so good.
    Thanks, appreciate your kind words. Will be using electrical cable (black) as my acetylene feed lines to the headlights. I have fitted the Ford logos to the radiator. There are 2 because Ford stamped the logo in the brass top of the radiator and also fitted a standard logo in the centre cooling fin section. I am glad you enjoy the build as I love doing it. All the best.

Keith

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default I'm sure old Henry would be very pleased with this Model T Ford.....

The Model T Ford just keeps getting better and better.....
    A vehicle build worthy of being on exhibition at the Ford Factory Museum in the USA....
    Keep it coming Keith.
    Cheers, crowie

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/index.aspx
    http://www.thehenryford.org/

Started on the number plates - I am giving it the number T-UTE-1. I am making it 3D by cutting out the alpha - numero on the scroll saw. The rim edges are white, numbers will be white and plates black as per pre 70's for Victorian number plates. Although in the late teens early twenties I don't know whether there was much call on number plates. Couldn't find a lot on the web on Victorian plates for the early days.

Keith