Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Huanyang VFD

Red face Huanyang VFD

Hi there, I have a Huayang vfd 2.2kw, my question is: can this vfd be used to run an AC motor for my milling machine, if so, can anyone suggest a motor or know of one that can be purchased in Aus? I wish to replace the one that came with the Hafco HM30 mill drill.

Regards
    Nick

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi. Driving an AC motor is what a VFD is for. But it needs to be a 3-phase motor which can be configured for 240 volt in Delta configuration. It can be any size up to 2.2kW.
    What size motor is on your mill now?
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Hi. Driving an AC motor is what a VFD is for. But it needs to be a 3-phase motor which can be configured for 240 volt in Delta configuration. It can be any size up to 2.2kW.
    What size motor is on your mill now?

The motor is a 2hp single phase.

Nick

Sorry Nick, that prevents you from using a VFD. You may consider changing the motor to a 3-phase one and a VFD and then you are good to go with a great range of speeds.
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

Sorry Nick, that prevents you from using a VFD. You may consider changing the motor to a 3-phase one and a VFD and then you are good to go with a great range of speeds.

Thanks Joe, I will have to shop around for a 3phase motor.

They are very cheaply available second hand. Most just need new bearings - if anything. eBay and Gumtree are a good starting point.
    Do choose a motor that has 240V Δ and 415V Y on the label - or similar. Its the Δ that's the important bit for VFD connection.
    Cheers,
    Joe

They are very cheaply available second hand. Most just need new bearings - if anything. eBay and Gumtree are a good starting point.
    Do choose a motor that has 240V Δ and 415V Y on the label - or similar. Its the Δ that's the important bit for VFD connection.
    Thats good to know about the 240 and 415 volt set up I was under the impression that they were two different motors.

Nah, they are just two ways 3-phase motors can be wired up (in their junction box). To get a better idea of what's going on, go and have a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power It will give you a better insight. It even talks about VFDs.
    Cheers,
    Joe