Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Cleaning up Urea Formaldehyde glue?

Does anyone know what should be used to clean up Urea Formaldehyde glue after gluing (both brush and wiping sqeeze out from workpiece)? I haven’t been able to find any specific info (even on the manufacturers data sheets), but have read a number of general books that one of UFs advantages it’s water soluable. So, I was doing a glue up the other day with AV203 UF glue, and cleaned out the brush and glue pot in water, and the stuff formed white clumps in the water and my brush went solid. :confused:

Any insights would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

with something like Gorilla glue, the only 2 things that ever worked are : sandpaper and masking tape. Sandpaper to remove it after it gets onto the wood and masking tape to mask off the joints so it doesn't get on the wood in the first place.

I have a box of Selleys High Stress Wood Glue 308 which is a melamine fortified urea formaldehyde glue.
    It says to "Clean excess glue off with a rag and wash brushes out in water BEFORE the glue sets.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson
    It says to "Clean excess glue off with a rag and wash brushes out in water BEFORE the glue sets.
    BEFORE the glue sets?? Now that's no fun is it

I was just doing a test glue up on scrap because I've never used it before, so my cleanup was probably 20mins into about a four hour pot life (at 18 degrees on the day). I'll have another go on the weekend with a new brush - maybe there was some leftover other stuff in the brush that caused problems....

Default cleaning UF glue

Gibbo,
    A wet rag over the joint and removing glue BEFORE it sets is the best way at Kangan TAFE when we glue up using UF.
    Otherwise it's a scraper/chisel and a lot of elbow grease. It usually is very brittle when exposed to air and is dry.
    It is not much fun!!!
    regards,
    Smithy

Gibbo

Did you try acertone (Nail polish remover) I seam to remember from my traineeship we used Urea Formaldehyde and used an acertone solvent as a cleaner.
    Hope this helps
    Rgds
    Russell
    The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Thanks heaps guys. I'll hopefully have another bash this weekend using the above info (on the real thing) and see how I go.....

Cheers