Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's a little frustrating for a while but at my age I figured I should set myself some memory exercises, so rather than labelling my big drawers I set them up in themes (e.g. measurement, fixings, mechanical tools, metal stock, etc) then all I have to remember is what drawer is for what (that only took me a few days) and then I open that drawer and can quickly scan around for what I need. After a while you get to remember pretty well where everything is and so far this has worked really well.

I do have dozens of little plastic drawers for chainsaw parts, electronic/electrical, air fittings, and plumbing etc which I label with a large font label maker.

Now if only I could remember where I put my TC lathe cutting tips????

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Bob, more than one person works in my workshop so labels are a must. I used to remember where everything was in a spare parts warehouse but not any more.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    ...more than one person works in my workshop...
    Following on from my previous post, then only one label is needed: "DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Bob, more than one person works in my workshop so labels are a must. I used to remember where everything was in a spare parts warehouse but not any more.
    That is indeed a bit of an issue.
    The grouping idea might help in terms of organisation but one persons idea of "organisation" is not always the same as another.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Following on from my previous post, then only one label is needed: "DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!!!"
    Ideal but not going to happen unfortunately.
    CHRIS

Good Morning Chris

I used "print and peal" stickers on my drawers, bought in multiple sizes on A4 backing from any stationer. Initially I reprinted as I changed the drawer arrangements, then I resported to textacolour....

After seeing Fencefurniture's drawer labels I have added to my "to do" list. Personally, I would avoid any form of perspex frames as after a while they will look almost as crappy as mine do. At least mine are cheap and flexible and cheap. I will decline from embarassing myself by posting a photo.

Fair Winds

Graeme

This issue seems absolutely psychotic to me.
    You Aussies have dozens of fantastic-looking woods to mess with.
    Yes, in the 4 years that I lived there, I saw a lot of it.
    Then, you haul off and make a shop cabinet with every draw front looking like a clone of the first one.
    Duh ! How dull.
    What stops you from making every draw front from a different wood?
    I have seen it done in a CSIRO lab building.
    Get with the program!
    Make them all different.
    Drink upstream from the herd, for once.

You got your likes, we have ours, if we want to change, we will but not before then, ok
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    What stops you from making every draw front from a different wood?
    I don't want to and I built all the drawers in my instance out of every bit of rubbish and left over timber and MDF I could find. The fronts were old pallets I salvaged some time ago and are pine. I had to buy a bit of pine to match when the stuff I had was short on dimension. I built about thirty drawers and the timber cost was three sheets of 12mm MDF but the drawer runners cost me about $200 or maybe a bit less. The whole thing of which I will put a pic up shortly was done for under $500 and cleared my shed of a whole lot of old materials. Major costs were a roll of MIG wire for the steel frame I salvaged at no cost, cutting discs and full length extension slides and I already had a lot of them. The ones I had were too short but I was not leaving forty drawer slides laying around not used.
    CHRIS

Chris

Have you considered/is it viable to use Lamipanel, now called Aquapanel, which is basically white board material?

This is how I dealt with, very crudely, a similar set of cupboards. I just use whiteboard marker, but you could use permanent marker. It can still be erased (Aeroguard works well for example). Smaller "cards" could be made to slip into receptacles if there were of a suitable size.

Drawer labeling 001.jpg

As you can see, crudely done, but in more capable hands could work well and very easily altered. I have another two cabinets for which I have to make up drawers and I will deal with them in a similar fashion.

Drawer labeling 002.jpg

Aquapanel is about 2mm thick and relatively expensive (I have seen it at Bunnings). However, because you would only need very small offcuts I would suggest you do the rounds of the kitchen cabinet makers and scrounge what you can. That is if you think it is of interest.

I don't think I could go down BobL's labeless path. It would do my head in .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

white electrical tape - written on by hand with whiteboard or permanent marker.

masking tape - handwrite with marker

number system with clipboard index hanging nearby

themed drawers/groupings (drivers, percussion tools (chisels/punches), gripping tools (pliers, crescents, etc), etc)

and Bagged tools (back to school special bags, or cheap toolboxes with the main tool (say grinder) with it's accessories, and spare blades all grouped together in one bag/box)

my current systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Chris

Have you considered/is it viable to use Lamipanel, now called Aquapanel, which is basically white board material?
    Drawer labeling 001.jpg
    This is how I dealt with, very crudely, a similar set of cupboards. I just use whiteboard marker, but you could use permanent marker. It can still be erased (Aeroguard works well for example).
    metho is even better

Chris
    I accept that some drawers contain tools or measuring devices, but most surely just contain fittings or stuff.

if the contents are changing on a regular basis, why not take a photo of the contents, and glue a print to the front of the drawer?

Doing so with the tool drawers will help with putting stuff away and stock taking
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12