Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Plywood for versus solid wood

What is everyone's opinion on plywood panels on trucks versus solid wood. IMO, plywood just doesn't look as good as solid due to the plies being visible. I understand if its painted, it doesn't matter. Buying 1/2 inch solid wood is difficult here. Have to resaw 3/4 is tough on saw blades

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'd say horse's for course's!
    But I use so much MDF I don't know if I'm entitled to an opinion.
    Although I'd say in most cases were possible solid timber looks best!

Trevor.

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy767 View Post
    What is everyone's opinion on plywood panels on trucks versus solid wood. IMO, plywood just doesn't look as good as solid due to the plies being visible. I understand if its painted, it doesn't matter. Buying 1/2 inch solid wood is difficult here. Have to resaw 3/4 is tough on saw blades
    G'Day Mike,
    Leo in Belgium does magnificent wooden toys with ply [looks heaps better quality than what I see in the hardware & timber stores here].
    Saying that, I'm with you, I prefer solid timber and just collect it and recycle it from wherever I can scrounge it for free.
    I've been putting it through the thicknesser to ''size'' it to the required measurements.
    It is bit wasteful on some jobs but generally with the smaller quantities for making the toys it's okay.
    Yesterday, I re-sized some hardwoods to 1/4'', 3/8'' & 1/2'' for the next project.
    Cheers, crowie

Hi Fozzy,

I reckon that if you take care choosing a ply that has a really nice grain and then use a light stain - it comes up a treat.

Hoges

It really depends on who the toys are for.

Because ply is layered 'cross-grain' (as it were) it is generally stronger than solid timber for thinnish panels. eg. it's much easier to break a shingle in half along the grain than an equivalently sized board of ply.

Solid timber always looks better to my eye, but good ply can be finished to high standard as well.

I can't say I know of any kids who'd be stressed over "it's not wood, just ply" and I believe that most parents would be more concerned about the toy's durability and/or whether small, mouth-sized bits will break loose! Also, if you're selling or giving to charity then I'd be more concerned about strength than appearance. (Even if only to keep myself out of litigation. )

Now, when it comes to toys for big kids - those in the >20yo range - that's a different matter!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Thanks skew, the durability is what I'm after. Being the guy I am, I like the solid wood. But I don't intend on these being shelf queens

Default ply guy

G'day Fozzy,
    Firstly let me just say I am a fan of your work.
    Now thats done I am a ply guy(9.5mm, 3/8in) with the cabin and sleeper cab sides on all my prime movers.
    Its just more durable. I make toys to be played with and not break.
    I aiso sell a lot of toys for big boys and girls, about half being bought for presents for hubby, still ply sides although some are 2 packed in car paint but the stained or clear sides still look good
    Phil

Phil, it's ironic you have complimented my work. Your prime mover line, especially the jack Daniels truck is what has inspired me to try a truck made of ply. I was on your site and thought, these trucks look tough and durable. You do exceptional work as well. Most of my stuff isn't suitable for rough and tough play. I'm looking to change that.

Default Wat you can get...

Hello Fozzy. I just saw your question. I've been ill, so it has been a time since I visited the forum. As to reply: It depends on what you can get at a reasonable price. The ply I use is, in fact, packing material I can get for free... You have to check it out, and look for the right grain depending on what you want to make. So I do not use wood. But it all depends on how you work with it, and what you like. The kids I make the toys for do not care if it's wood or ply as long as it's fun! As for treating: if necessary I use colourless varnish but not often. I sand the ply at least with a 600 sandpaper and afterwards even with a sort of cloth. A baby can sit on it! As for the things i make: take a look, I've posted a few things the past year that are made entirely of ply.
    If enlightment is not where you are standing, where will you look?
    Zen-Master Dogen

I am a ply guy too.
    It is cheap, durable and readily available - and as i paint everything i make appearance is not an issue.

I made a fighter plane for my son a while back, with the body of approx 300mm x 50mm x 19mm thick pine.
    Whilst running around playing with it on our tiles at home, he fell and to my surprise managed to snap it across the grain!!
    Perhaps a dodgy piece of pine (and granted a soft wood), but there were no obvious floors visible anywhere within the break or elsewhere on the outside of the timber.

Ever since it has been ply wood all the way!!
    I have on occasion accidently knocked finished projects off my 1m high bench onto the concrete floor of my garage without so much as a dent.

If I were to make items with a natural finish however - i may reconsider my material choices ......

Phil, you use water based stain correct? How do you get the stain up in all of the nooks and crannies. I bought some water based stain today.

image-3966693772.jpg

Default Spray it

Water and metho based stains. Spray them on
    Phil