Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

This toy making gig looks like a lot of fun and I have searched for some starter information to no avail so can someone help me or point in the right direction?
    i have heard mention and followed links to plans and kits. What is the difference between a plan and a kit? I assume a plan is just that, you make everything. A kit? Is this like a model kit you glue together or is it a plan with a few difficult parts like spoked wheels.
    what are the essential tools? I,m thinking bandsaw, scroll saw, plate sander.bobbin sander and lots of patients?
    any advice greatly appreciated
    To give you an idea of what I would like to build these are just a few of what I have seen
    PLD's truck for his grandson, McNeil low boy trailer, Mr T's earthmoving equipment, I've also seen a livestock road train but I can't find it again
    Cheers,

Howdya

Proudly supporting research into the therapeutic benefits of the Friday Thread

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hello Howdaya,

First off you have all the tools right. Those you mentioned will you start you off and you can buy more specialized as you get deeper. If you are refering to kits and plans such as toys and joys. The plans are just that and the kits have a few pieces to help with the build but you still have to build 90% of the model from scratch. The kit might include wheels, lights, maybe license plates. Hope this helps.

Look forward to your build make sure you start on thread on your WIP.

Bret

Well Howday, I'm a novice at it also. The truck I built was a plan from Wood Magazine website. They have a few different ones. I think these plans are a little easier than most of the ones from Toys and Joys. I had the truck one and I just started a Speedster which is one of Wood Mag's plans. I want to finish it and then start on the 1934 Chev Coupe which is a T & J plan. there are some other plans out there that are very intricate and true scale. Maybe some day I will work up to that!

I believe Bret is correct on plan/kit. Least that is what I have seen so far. The Wood Mag does not provide the "kit" portion but it tell you where you can get the parts. The only thing I bought so far are wheels. I plan on trying to make the spoke wheels for the speedster.

So far I have used band saw, table saw, disk sander, belt sander, drill press and planer. Wish I had a spindle sander but I get by with a sanding drum in my drill press.

Jump in, it is great fun.

Everyone above is right . The kits are usually just wheels lights and other small parts.
    I bought 1 or 2 kits when i first started but they are fairly expensive. If you are going to do alot it is much cheaper to buy everything from some craft catalog.
    If you need any help ask. We will all be glad to help.
    Pictures always help to.
    Good luck and have fun.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Howdya do that View Post
    This toy making gig looks like a lot of fun and I have searched for some starter information to no avail so can someone help me or point in the right direction?
    i have heard mention and followed links to plans and kits. What is the difference between a plan and a kit? I assume a plan is just that, you make everything. A kit? Is this like a model kit you glue together or is it a plan with a few difficult parts like spoked wheels.
    what are the essential tools? I,m thinking bandsaw, scroll saw, plate sander.bobbin sander and lots of patients?
    To give you an idea of what I would like to build these are just a few of what I have seen
    PLD's truck for his grandson, McNeil low boy trailer, Mr T's earthmoving equipment, I've also seen a livestock road train but I can't find it again
    G'Day ''Howdya do that'' Shed Rat,
    I'd also encourage you to look into a thicknesser for reclaiming, recycling & resizing timber.
    I have a Dewalt 735 three blade and while it gives a good finish, I also have a Byrd cutter head to install in it once I kill the current set of blades.
    Something else you might consider is a small table saw, pedestal drill, router table, and a number of different powered sanders [ROS, Delta, 1/4Sheet]....
    While I do make some toys without plans I really need plans with patterns to do an okay job.
    I really admire the ''model makers'', brilliant.
    The blokes that do full ''scratch built'' models are the ''bees knees''; so much talent & patience.
    There are a few wooden toy parts suppliers in Australia, but I've found it heaps cheaper to buy from Woodworks Ltd in Texas, USA, even with freight & the falling Aussie dollar.
    Looking forward to see you ''Work in Progress'' builds..
    ''PM'' sent.... Cheers, crowie

Another welcome to the toymaking section. Find something simple to start with just to get the hang of it and then work up to something with smaller parts in no time you will be totally hooked.

Bandsaw, bench disc sander, pillar drill, and something to size you wood with, this would be my tool list and don't forget some hand tools as well

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Crowie I have most of the tools you mention, I started another thread called the "long awaited return" with my new shed ( sorry I don't to know how to do the link thing) as I get the crap for the Reno out of it and move my gear in I will post some pictures there. I can't wait to get started
    Cheers,

Howdya

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Crowie I have most of the tools you mention, I started another thread called the "long awaited return" with my new shed ( sorry I don't to know how to do the link thing) as I get the crap for the Reno out of it and move my gear in I will post some pictures there. I can't wait to get started
    Yes, I did see that thread posted and was very jealous of your new shed ..... it's huge!!!
    On the thread link - just highlight the link [www.woodworkforum-etc-etc]; copy and paste it in your new post....
    Hope you got the ''pm'' I sent...looking forward to seeing your projects.
    Cheers, crowie

PS - Make sure you keep all your old reno timber for a little while as you start the toys & models...

Was this the one you were thinking of Howdya?

I had a look at your shed thread. Very nice space you have there. Can't wait to see it all setup and see what you make in there.

Bret

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Having a 5 week old boy now, I've started to prep myself for toy making. I may even make some wooden toys for my boy.

I've found www.toymakingplans.com a good site for plans. There's also www.woodenjoys.net, an Australian place selling timber wheels if you don't want to make them yourself.

Cheers,
    Nathan.

That's the truck tree cycle. Very cool
    Cheers,

Howdya

I was in the same situation you were in a few months ago. But after looking at many, many toys online. I decided to just jump right in. Went to home depot and bought myself a jigsaw, some forstner bits and some holesaws. I also bought a few pieces of their left over wood. As far as sandpaper goes, i bought 60,80,150,220, and 400 grits. make sure to get one of those handheld palm sander tools, they sure help.

I used the jigsaw to cut out the body of the toy, and the holesaw for the tires. The forstner bits were used to drill the middle of the tires, to give a deep rim look. i bought the dowels at home depot and just cut them to size. Cutting up everything is not difficult, it's the sanding that takes up most of the time.

So here's what i came up with:

Started out with this

After sanding (a lot of sanding)

I just applied the first coat of the finish. I'm using the Toy Maker's finish from general finishes.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Welcome Mr. Lara. What a great first toy. Please start a build thread on it as we all like looking at Work in Progress pics. Glad to see another Texan on here!

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lara View Post
    I was in the same situation you were in a few months ago. But after looking at many, many toys online. I decided to just jump right in. Went to home depot and bought myself a jigsaw, some forstner bits and some holesaws. I also bought a few pieces of their left over wood. As far as sandpaper goes, i bought 60,80,150,220, and 400 grits. make sure to get one of those handheld palm sander tools, they sure help.

~snip~
    I'll post pics when it's done.
    G'Day & Welcome to the Great Southern Land and to a top forum "Mr Lara".
    There are quite a few members from Texas, across the USA and the rest of the world.....
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
    Especially a top mob of blokes on the toymaking & scale modeling section of the forum.
    Make sure you keep showing off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork and toymaking.....
    Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

PS - You little truck looks beaut and deserves it's own thread, well done....looking forward to the finished toy....
    AND YES...the sanding always takes heaps of time and effort BUT worth it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast