Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The studio

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    And they would get to the upper stories......what.....by forklift?

Out of curiosity, what does a 20' pre-loved, pre-domed container cost?
    Brett

It depends what level of quality you are chasing and where you are situated. Let's assume you want weatherproof and vermin proof with doors that open and shut reasonably well. Where I live, this is in the range of $2500 to $3000. Freight is additional and I paid about $250 for this last container to be delivered by tilt tray. If you don't have access to your yard from the street you will need a crane capable of lifting the box over the box you live in. More cost.

If I lived in Brisbane or Sydney I would expect to be able to buy a similar containers for at least $500 less. This I should add is buying through a dealer of some description. If you can source a private seller, you may be able to get a better deal, but freight may be a little more.

When I bought the two cream containers, which I don't store cream in (sorry my little joke; I won't mention it again), they averaged $2250 plus freight, but that was five years ago.

Certainly I could have shopped around a little longer and saved a few dollars, but SWMBO said we wanted it before Xmas and my petitions to have that celebration moved to March fell on deaf ears.

Doming can be organised by arrangement with friendly forklift drivers or with an accro prop . Or you can upset SWMBO until she hits the roof .

With multi level containers for student accommodation you put the girls at the top and the boys will find a way up.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

You did pretty well price wise Paul.

Ana and I had a scratch around for a container when we lived in Bris.
    I thought they were overpriced so we backed out.

I think our mates in the US have a big advantage. Containers are a
    reasonable price over there. I guess it's a matter of supply and demand.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

And they would get to the upper stories......what.....by forklift?

Out of curiosity, what does a 20' pre-loved, pre-domed container cost?
    A ladder would be easier to move around than a forklift especially at your place Brett,
    though it'd be very interesting locating a 40' or even a 20' container at your place.....

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    A ladder would be easier to move around than a forklift especially at your place Brett,
    though it'd be very interesting locating a 40' or even a 20' container at your place.....
    Out in the street, and to fool the council, painted to look like a HR Holden.
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    ..painted to look like a HR Holden.
    Better still, one of those Russian jobbies- not much difference at all - same top speed too.....
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Nick

Good idea. Brett could paint it up as an HR along these lines:

HR Holden.jpg

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Back to the core business .

The door:

studio 4 001.jpgstudio 4 002.jpg

I thought it was a little unusual and it does have the advantage of letting in some more light. There is a screen door, which is essential where we are, to go on the outside.

On the subject of the "dome" this is the amount the roof has been raised (about 25mm). I have thought about designed doming and I have to say that there is none visible on this container. There is in fact little room as there needs to be clearance for stacking when used for their original purpose. However, containers are made by many different manufacturers so there is undoubtedly some variance.

studio 4 008.jpg

I should have mentioned the container sits on four concrete footings:

studio 4 005.jpg

This is the new floor. Bamboo in 1200mm lengths with a double tongue and groove and end matched. It is all secret nailed or rather, in this case, stapled:

studio 4 003.jpgstudio 4 004.jpg

I did dress the boards for skirting, architraves and cover strips ready for profiling, but the light was too poor for pix. Thursday maybe as I have to go to the big smoke for supplies tomorrow.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Brett

Something I only briefly touched on regarding containers is the various grades available. There are A,B & C grades and also those that are certificated for shipping use. This link is American and not necessarily exactly what we have in Oz, but the principles are similar. I think their depiction of a C grade box is a little extreme .

http://www.thecontainertraders.com/i...&id=35&catid=3

It was possible to buy brand new containers (20') for about $3500 about five years ago, but I think there has been a significant price hike. The one trip type units are good buys if anybody is looking for above average units.

My container would be a B grade.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395144008.116152.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395144054.104465.jpg
    Yep should I've got the 40 footers
    Just some ideas lol
    This is start off our home believe it or not

It's been a while: February I see. I thought I was going to be finished in February .

Well there have been a few distractions, but SWMBO got stuck into the painting and this is how things have shaped up:

At one end of the studio is the storage cupboard based on a wardrobe style. I have to adjust the doors as they are not right, but for the moment still quite usable. What you can't see is that all four doors have bowed out in the middle. I have to say I don't understand this as they have been laminated to VJ board.

In fact SWMBO wants to move all her sewing and materials in there immediately, which what will happen as soon as I have finished here.

Woman cave 008.jpgWoman cave 005.jpgWoman cave 006.jpgWoman cave 007.jpg

The other end of the studio incorporates a double bed with more storage cupboards either side.

Woman cave 001.jpgWoman cave 002.jpgWoman cave 003.jpgWoman cave 004.jpg

The bed is intended for very ocassional use only so it it needs to be stored away: A bit like this. SWMBO was insistent that she try. She did it .

Woman cave 009.jpgWoman cave 010.jpgWoman cave 011.jpgWoman cave 012.jpgWoman cave 013.jpgWoman cave 014.jpg

The method of raising the bed is by a braked winch. Unfortunately I had to shorten the crank handle because of insufficient room which coupled with an awkward elevated location makes winding less than perfect. I use the redneck electric winch (a cordless drill and a 21mm socket), but SWMBO is less confident and you do have to hang on. The bed is secured by two pins, the pivot point is in the bottom cupboards (and, Yes, I do still have to tighten the nylock nuts; Thank you for mentioning it ), the headboard becomes the cover for the top shelf above the bed, there are two covers, which disguise the legs when they swing up in the vertical position and another little cover that disguises the pulley near the ceiling.

Studio details 001.jpgStudio details 003.jpgStudio details 004.jpgWoman cave 015.jpgWoman cave 016.jpgWoman cave 017.jpgWoman cave 018.jpgWoman cave 019.jpg

The contraption on the left hand wall is a table that folds down to permit room for the bed, which it is anticipated will remain stored away at least 364 days a year.

This is the cave in operational mode (but waiting for the operator.)

Woman cave 020.jpgWoman cave 021.jpgWoman cave 022.jpg

It is nice and light inside, for a shipping container, actually for any type of container:Any brighter and you would have to wear sunglasses inside!

Of course a woman cave has a front door:

Woman cave front door.jpg

Well that's it.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

That's a great job Paul - SWMBO should be very happy with that!.

And now to start on the proper shed?
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

That's a great job Paul - SWMBO should be very happy with that!.

And now to start on the proper shed?
    Brett

Having trouble wiping the smile from her face. I am struggling with the 22 deg C in her cave and the 35 deg C in my shed. There is an inequity here that I can't quite put my finger on. I can see that I will have to eat humble pie and visit at her place .

My shed... 2015 is a definite!

Just something that I thought of and that is the furniture. The swiveling bar stool was a new "second" bought for $25 and the rocker came from a second hand shop that closed down in town. I think it might have been $140 but not sure. I know it was more than it should have been, but I relented because it was so close by.

There is still a small loom to go in the studio, but that will not be until all the remnant fabrics have been sorted out. I think there may be a smiling face from now to at least Xmas!

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Looking back on this thread I can hardly credit how long ago it was. A few comments have brought a slight blush to my cheeks such as Fence Furniture's mention of the real shed and my declaration of definitely in 2015. Guess what?

I also saw NC Archer's suggestion about a skillion over the top and that has not happened either. However it is a very good idea and still on the books. The studio has been used as accommodation on a number of occasions and has been well received. SWMBO spends a good deal of time in it particularly since we ran a telephone wire into it so she can use her laptop. We have wi fi in the house, but the studio is too far away and the signal has trouble with the steel walls.

A small addition to the studio has been an awning over the door as the rain was getting in and threatening the floor. The weather beats in from that direction. The awning was made up from bits of scrap. The roofing material was salvaged from our old lawn locker, which was partially crushed by a tree in a storm and the frame was left over RHS (really thin wall, which was a right pri(k to weld with a stick welder). In fact this is the third job made with this RHS. I will be posting another use of it in the shed section of the Forum in due course.

The way I made the roof did not lend itself to conventional guttering so I used some 90mm PVC storm pipe slit along it's length. The 60L storage drum for the water is temporary. I will be using a plastic 200L drum, but that is currently in use on another shed pending more permanent water storage solutions for that one. Although the roof is small (about two meters wide by one meter) it will be enough water to ladle out to the few plants near the studio. The stick supporting the downpipe is temporary too .

P1020943.JPGP1020944.JPGP1020945.JPG

It still has to be painted. Currently it just has a coat of Penetrol all over.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Have seen some beautiful accommodations built out of shipping containers, pity the land is so expensive.
    The Studio is a sight to behold, well done with it. Would you be allowed to sleep there, if you're in the dog house??
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by KBs PensNmore View Post
    Have seen some beautiful accommodations built out of shipping containers, pity the land is so expensive.
    The Studio is a sight to behold, well done with it. Would you be allowed to sleep there, if you're in the dog house??
    Kryn
    Kryn

I had originally thought so, but the occasional comment has slipped that leads me to believe I may be unwelcome. At the very least I would have to winch the bed up and down and leave the place like I had never visited. I think the shipping container with my saws inside it is a more likely prospect and I like the decor better.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast