Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Transmig 195 Rural Pack 2

Hi All
    My first Post. Just bought an old Transmig 195 and have found earlier articles a big help.
    Can someone please tell me if I can rig this up to use gasless flux-cored wire so I can avoid expense of gas bottles. I recall the polarity has to be switched round. I guess I may also need a knured drive roll and possibly a different wire guide. Are these available?
    Regards
    Brian

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi,
    The polarity needs to be changed and its easy with this machine, just the connections at the front
    the wire guide can remain the same and knurled rollers if you need them should not be a problem at any welding shop

Default Transmig 195 - and wandering into Gas

Many thanks for your reply. I didn't spot the polarity terminals as my machine has been modified. Please see photo - the 'torch' lead has been taped to the positive wire. I guess the plug/socket broke at some stage so now it is Gas only. Not a big problem but I would like to return the machine to original. Do you know if this plug and front panel socket are Cigweld only parts or are they universal and so easily obtainable. Is anyone perhaps breaking one of these machines.

In the time that my post came to the Forum I looked into true Mig welding as I want to weld thin panels (car, tractor bodywork).Like many before, I had been put off by Gas costs and found previous Posts on the Forum very helpful. Especially the research on buying bottles from NSW - the thought of waiting long periods for delivery was worrying. Anyway after meeting the BOC rep I ended up with the normal rental for an E2 bottle of Argoshield Light but, being a private user, a gas price of less than $48. I consider that a very good deal, especially compared with buying a bottle. Really I don't need to worry if waste a bit of gas while I am learning.

My Transmig purchase got even better as the feed roller current setup is 0.8mm but when I flip it over it has a 0.6mm groove. So I have bought appropriate wire and tips and am having great fun. I have to agree its cleaner, more gentle and neater than flux core. Today, I made an additional shelf for my Plasma Cutter trolley from old angle and sheet - mainly to practise corner fillet joints, which I am finding tricky with the Torch shroud getting in the way. So, I happily spent a few hours making a part for a part for a tool. My Wife is still shaking her head.Hope my wanderings help with others' decisions.IMAG0340.jpg

Brian

The panel socket and connector are universal 25mm all welding shops should have them on the shelf expect to pay about $25.00 for both

Hi Brian,

You have a great machine there.Its the same one to as used by my high school students for several years and survived with out major incidents, so that says volumes about it.
    Hang on to it, they don't make them like that anymore.

Thanks Grahame - good to hear. It feels and behaves like a substantial machine.
    Thanks also to Dubman.I followed your advice, went to BIA near Arana Hills, Brisbane North. They supplied the Tweco parts for just a few Dollars. So my total outlay including spare tips, shrouds is about $80. Understandably I am very happy as the machine is now very safe also.
    From my practice pieces so far with gas, it looks like I can have it on a low power setting and it will weld thin steel sheet without blowing holes - just what I wanted. On my other machine I have 0 .9 fluxcore wire and I have difficulty in not blowing holes through in the same thickness sheet (tractor panels). Seems contradictory to do delicate welding with a compartively heavy gun but not an issue.
    Regards
    Brian

Default Wiire Feeder motor

Appreciating all the info from those who have a Transmig 195. Mine cost two slabs of Coopers 62. Seems the wire feed motor on the traveller is a bit tired. Looks like a wiper motor. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? (other than a Holden/ Ford wreckers). Looking at this as my winter project. Even found some blue paint to jazz up the main unit but will be extremely disappointed if it looks good but doesnt work!

What symptoms is the motor giving? Generally motors don't give a whole lot of grief.

Try Bob the welder at Ballina.i think he was flogging mig drive motors at one time.
    Grahame

Karl might be on to something there, Pull the gun cable switch contacts from the main box and bridge the exposed tabs-they are 24 volts. Now and again on the school one we would have to fix up the female spade connector. It MAY only be dodgy contacts.
    Welcome by the way don't be a stranger lets us know how you get on.
    Grahame