Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Spoke Wheel Drilling Jig

This is my version of a jig to drill holes for spoke wheels. I see a couple similar ones posted on here by hornpout and Alex.d. My is just a variation of the same type. I just finished it today and tried a test run on some scrap wood. It worked good. With a couple improvements and more practice I think it will work as I want it. Anyway, here it is. Cheap to make (I had everything on hand and used scrap wood), and simple.

Indexing wheel
    IMG_2114.JPG

guts
    IMG_2115.JPG

Test run
    IMG_2117.JPG

Suggestion, comments welcome -

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    This is my version of a jig to drill holes for spoke wheels. I see a couple similar ones posted on here by hornpout and Alex.d. My is just a variation of the same type. I just finished it today and tried a test run on some scrap wood. It worked good. With a couple improvements and more practice I think it will work as I want it. Anyway, here it is. Cheap to make (I had everything on hand and used scrap wood), and simple.

Indexing wheel
    IMG_2114.JPG

guts
    IMG_2115.JPG

Test run
    IMG_2117.JPG

Suggestion, comments welcome -
    You've certainly done a very neat job on the whole jig, especially the index wheel, well done.... cheers, crowie

Great Jig. Sometimes they are just as much fun to make as the toys. So what are you planning on building since you built the jig for something.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Great Jig. Sometimes they are just as much fun to make as the toys. So what are you planning on building since you built the jig for something.

Bret
    I plan on building some of Toys and Joys models. I'm starting out with a couple of plans I got from Wood Magazine's site many years ago. First was this stake truck:

IMG_1995.JPG

Now I'm working on their Speedster:

IMG_2110.JPG

These are pretty simple plans and good for starting out. On the truck I purchased the wheels, but I've decided it would be more fun to try to make them myself.

After thinking about it last night, I think I will do some rebuilding on the jig. If I make it so I can mount the wheel blank outside the two uprights, it would be a lot faster and easier to put it on and take it off the jig.

This morning I took part of the jig apart and rearranged things. This is what I came up with.

IMG_2118.JPG

Much quicker and easier to put the blank on and take off. See any reason this wouldn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    This morning I took part of the jig apart and rearranged things. This is what I came up with.

IMG_2118.JPG

Much quicker and easier to put the blank on and take off. See any reason this wouldn't work?
    I had a very similar thought when I looked at the pic of your first set-up. What about putting the inexing wheel between the two stands. That would give you a more stable base. You could use a single piece of wood for the whole business.

Quote Originally Posted by burraboy View Post
    I had a very similar thought when I looked at the pic of your first set-up. What about putting the inexing wheel between the two stands. That would give you a more stable base. You could use a single piece of wood for the whole business.
    Thanks burraboy. I know I could have used a solid block of wood, but I had the second upright already built and drilled. It was just a matter of moving it. I didn't see any sense in wasting it. Not sure about moving the indexing wheel. Where it is I have great visibility for moving from one hole to the next.

And the jig goes on. With the new configuration I noticed flex in the shaft as I drilled.
    I've been practicing, trying to get the bugs worked out. My theory was to make a blank the diameter of the outer rim I want. Drill the holes and then mount the blank on the lathe and turn off the section between the outer rim and the hub where the spokes will show. The holes appear to be spaced evenly. When I turn the waste away and get down to the hub it looks like the drill bit wonders. Some of the holes are way off. This is a fairly large wheel. Outer rim is 3" in diameter. I'm using a 5/32" bit brad point bit. Is it possible to do it this way or do I have to drill the outer rim and the hub separately? Or do I need a better bit? The one I have came in a set, not expensive.

For the flex in the shaft, it was suggested I need a jackscrew. I looked a pictures and decided to make one. This is what I came up with. It seems to work.

IMG_2122.JPGIMG_2124.JPG

PLD Posts: 27Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:34 pmLocation: S.E. Washington State.

Thumbs up

Neat jig and a neat solution for the flex, which had me a bit worried!!

Thank you and it actually works! Now I need to figure out jigs I need for holding the rim and tire on the lathe to shape them. It should be like turning a bagel I would think.

As far as the flexing is concerned a solution may be to first drill a pilot hole of small diameter and then change drill bit for correct size. It may be caused by the pressure of pushing down with a larger surface drill bit that is causing the flex. I would think that the second drilling would have less resistance, follow the hole, and create in-line straight holes?

regards, Ned

Well, this is the way my final spoke drilling jig turned out. An internet friend made the indexing wheel for me. He has some great tools. I have only meant the gentlemen through a woodworking forum and he has helped me out several time. He made the gears I used when I built my street organ, with his CNC machine. I asked him about an indexing wheel and described what i needed. He had it to me in 4 days! We live on opposite send of the U.S. Anyway the index wheel was so nice I completely rebuilt my jig. This is the results.

IMG_2148.JPGIMG_2150.JPG

Been trying it out and after 4 tries this is my prototype wheel. This one is pine, the ones I make for my Speedster build are going to be exotic woods and hopefully much prettier. But I was pleased how it works and this wheel is not too bad. White walls and all.

IMG_2176.JPG

Very awesome jig.
    Just what i need. will have to try making one for myself.
    Thanks for showing it.

Thanks, Oneye, it is a simple and straight forward build. I'm sure I will find other uses for it also. It you do make on, it is worth putting a tube insert in the upright for the main rod to go through. I have a brass tube through there.

Default I Did It!

Finally finished the first wheel. The other three are close behind. I'll show a few progress pictures. Maybe you all will have suggestion on better ways.

I made my own spokes, all 48! Took 2 days to turn them. First picture is just the spokes fitted in the rim and hub. Second is the little jug I made and used to glue them. There are 6 - 1/4" dowels sticking up inside the rim to hold it in place then pin in the center to hold the hub centered. Then the last picture is the four wheels .

IMG_2183.JPGIMG_2182.JPGIMG_2185.JPG

First picture is the wheels with the whitewall rings on. Second picture is a completed tire/rim. The outer black piece is mahogany that I ebonized. This was fun. Took me a while to get it done to this point.

IMG_2189.JPGIMG_2191.JPG

I'm happy with them for a first set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast