Default Tablesaw motor stopped. Fix, or replace, and if so with what?

My 17 year old Taiwanese-made Carba-tec tablesaw stopped during a cut. It has a 2 hp motor. It did not bog down. It was a 2" thick cut into hardwood, which it has done many times before. No smoke (so I doubt anything has burned out). It just slowed and stopped. I pressed the reset button (no change), and there is power to the machine.

There could be a number of reasons, and the first thing I must do is check what the cause is. Can some kind soul here suggest a list of areas to check?

While my priority is to get the old girl running again, I am considering changing the motor for something more powerful if the cost is not too great. The current motor just does not feel like 2 hp to me, but it has been cutting 2-3" thick Jarrah for many years. However it has had a tendency to trip the reset/cutout switch when pushed a little. The saw is a decent one that I have much modified over the years, so worth hanging onto. I was thinking of a 3 hp or 4 hp motor. Which is the better deal (yes I know more power sounds better, but there may be penalties with this, such as increased power demands)? And where does one find a good, especially quiet induction motor in Australia? Any idea of the cost?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Does it have one or two capacitors?

If it is has two capacitors, one will be the "start" capacitor and the other the "run" capacitor, if the later dies then that may cause the problem.
    A long shot would be that the motor has developed an open circuit somewhere.

Shall I come around with some testing gear?

Bob, that would be terrific. Any time over the weekend that suits you? We could check the dust levels again as well.

Best regards

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Hi Derek:

I bought a 4HP 3Ph Hammer motor from Felder QLD a couple of years ago for about $400 from memory. It is a DOL motor, rated at S6 which is enough for my needs. I know there are cheaper options out there but I needed the more exxy alloy motor which is much lighter and much less bulky than the cast iron equivalents, so that it would fit inside my cabinet (1990 Delta Unisaw). I bought a magnetic switch at the same time. Yes, not cheap, but I hope to run my saw for a long while yet.

Hopefully, your issues will be minor and easily fixed! Cheers.
    Warm Regards, Luckyduck

Have you checked the overload located near the on/off switch
    Had a friend that thought he had blown his motor,took it away to be repaired,put it back on ,still not running,found the overload ,rest it,all OK
    $135 learning experience.

Well Bob came around on Saturday morning. The first thing he commented on was the dust. Dust?! The sawdust in the tablesaw was nearly choking the blade! Well, I had planned to clean it out some time. It just sort of got away from me ...

So the tablesaw received it annual service and lube job. It helped. The motor was fine. The condenser was fine. The switches were fine. The problem was traced to dust on the connections!

All's well that ends well.

Thanks again Bob!

Regards from Perth

Derek

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Onya Bob! I take it there wasn't much point in checking the dust levels then?
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    Well Bob came around on Saturday morning. The first thing he commented on was the dust. Dust?! The sawdust in the tablesaw was nearly choking the blade! Well, I had planned to clean it out some time. It just sort of got away from me ...
    So the tablesaw received it annual service and lube job. It helped. The motor was fine. The condenser was fine. The switches were fine. The problem was traced to dust on the connections!
    All's well that ends well.
    Thanks again Bob!
    Regards from Perth
    Derek
    Cheers Derek,

I forgot to say I have seen one slightly worse.
    As I said you are lucky it did not catch fire - another reason for us all to get our dust collection sorted.
    Bob

PS it was good to catch up and check out the never ending source of gizmos, ideas and fine furniture.

Well done Bob.