Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default finishing varnish sanding back polish, newbie question

A have a question regarding the finishing, sanding back and polishing of an oil based varnish (feast watson clear varnish).

I've applying about 4 coats on a small table top and im wishing to sanding back the final coat with 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500 and buff with auto wax.. my concern is im probably going to sand through the top coat to get everything smooth and even.. when this happens, is it likely that the previous layers of varnish will be noticeably visible?

maybe I got impatient.. I waited a day from the last coat and sanded with 400g using a random orbital sander. It has smoothed things out alot, however, i noticed I may have gone through the last layer and little layered bits started to appear.. i stopped and thought maybe it hasn't cured enough.. so, my question is, should i wait for it to cure, perhaps a week? or is it likely i will have to reapply a thicker final coat?

photo rd.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I haven't used that product. But I think you are right and you have cut back through some layers. I would apply another coat and hand sand with say 400 clean thoroughly and see what the surface is like then. You might need to build up a few coats. Then apply a final coat to buff. Do you really need to go to 1500 grit.
    I am sure there are people here who can offer first hand experience with this product.
    If I have made incorrect advice. Please correct me.

Yeah,I think I will wait for it to cure before sanding any further and see how it goes, may need more layers as you said.

My understanding is the higher the grit the higher the gloss but I'm only going off what I've read on other threads and utube clips.

i guess I'm just surprised that I have to wait a few weeks before sanding/levelling and then maybe add another coat and wait another few weeks before buffing.. Is this normal?

What does it say on the product instructions? Have you talked to where you bought it and explained what you expected from the product. You may have been better with something else. The product may be more plastic and not as forgiving for sanding. But I do think at the high grits of sandpaper you are using that an orbital sander may be giving you trouble. It may be too harsh.

The time between coats and drying time are different. re-coating is far shorter than drying, as the re-coat time is to allow bonding between the coats. Drying time is the time to allow the finish to set, and thus be able to take handling etc. On some finishes if you let the finish set and then apply another coat it will not bond properly and may flake or peel later on in time. A few days or a week sound excessive between coats.

You also say you want to buff with an auto wax. Be aware that they often contain silicone which can make any future repairs very difficult.
    It sounds like you want a high gloss finish. Old furniture in my opion quite often looks better with a satin finish.

I was hoping someone on this site may have experience with the product and give you better advice.

Lyle.

How have you gone with this project?
    Any new photos?
    I was really hoping someone else would comment or advise.
    Lyle.

Yes, I just finished the table yesterday! a couple more coats, drying time 2-3weeks, sanded 400, 600, 800, 1500, then polished with auto super wax. pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images