Default festool track saw

hi i'm thinking of purchasing the festool track saw and im just wondering what the cuts are like when cutting melamine eg is there much chipping when using the finest blade and the splinter guide accessory. I'm interested in building cabinets out of white board and a lot of melamine boards and most of it will be seen on both sides, and i'm just wondering what it is like or would i be better getting a panel saw with scribe, bear in mind i only have a single car garage as a shop and the mobility or the track saw would be better.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have found that there is some chipping when using the track saw, but it is minimal. I am yet to use the splinter guard. You can reduce the amount of chipping by cutting multiple pieces at the same time and have the bottom one on a sacrificial surface, I use an old door.
    By connecting to a dust extractor there is still some clean up, but it is tiny compared to no dust extraction.

If you were in Melbourne I would be happy to demonstrate before you spent any money. You may find someone near you who could do the same.

A panel saw is good for repeating cuts, but does take up floor space.

Others have been able to get a cabinet maker to do the cutting for them and also edge the board, for not much more than the cost of the raw material, you may want to consider this option too.

A lot will depend on your tool budget, and if you are likely to use the tools after this project. Also consider type of power supply for any table saw as some require 15amp GPO, or fixed wiring. A Festool TS55 or TS75 and dust extractor can be plugged into a standard single 10amp GPO. (The saw plugs into the dust extractor which is plugged into the GPO.)

For the best chip free cuts using a Festool plunge-saw (TS-55 or TS-75)...

• Use good quality melamine sheets, sheets with poor quality chipboard result in unavoidable chipping.
    • Keep the blade sharp. Use the fine tooth blade (standard with the TS-55).
    • Make sure the splinter-guard on the guide rail is in excellent condition. We find this has a greater influence than many things.
    • Use the splinter-guard on the saw if you need the "off-cut" to also have a good chip free edge.

Thanks Guys mite call into the local festool supplier up here in Canberra and see if they will give a demo.

I have the TS55. Great saw. Very predictable.

With melamine, there are two tricks, inclusive all to that said above.

First, put down a strip of thick masking tape where you are going to cut. This minimises chip up. It works well, but it isn't perfect as you said both sides are presentation.

For the second, it is understanding how the saw cuts then accommodating for it. The Festool rotates anti-clockwise as you look at it...i.e as you are using it, the blade rotates from the bottom to the front then to the top. It's this upwards pull that chips out melamine on the top. Festool has a very handy and disposable foot that sits right at the blades edge (a zero clearance cut as the blade chops into it when first used). This foot does a good job too, especially on ply.

Now, second trick is to set the cut up with the track. Set the TS55 to take a 2mm cut...just deep enough to just cut into the substrate, perhaps a mm more, but no more. Starting at the far end, cut backwards..I.e draw the saw back to where you'd start. This uses the very back of the blade to cut DOWN into the melamine. It's only a very light cut. THEN, reset it for a full depth cut, don't restrict it, drop it right to the lowest it will go and cut FORWARD. The blade then cuts from the bottom up almost at 90 degrees.

This way the bottom has zero tear out and the bottom is cut perfectly too.