Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drill press

Default Drill press

I am wondering about how worthwhile having a drill press actually is ? I have been doing a fair bit of pen turning, am planning on doing more bowls and other turning. Plus I have been given permission by the boss to convert our small single car garage into a small workshop so I can start making bigger pieces for the house.
    Is it worth getting a medium duty kind of press ?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Any drilling job which needs to be accurately square and parallel is only really possible on a decent drill press. They are worth every penny.
    Using it as a bobbinsander which stays square, sa a makeshift overhead router for the odd otherwise impossible job etc etc

Cheers,
    Joe
    Cheers,
    Joe
    9"thicknesser/planer, 12" bench saw, 2Hp Dusty, 5/8" Drill press, 10" Makita drop saw, 2Hp Makita outer, the usual power tools and carpentry hand tools...

I am looking at a Hafco Pedestal Drill ... just one of the smaller ones as I am never going to be doing really heavy stuff and if I am drilling metal (which I doubt) its only going to be thin stuff. Machinery House are having a sale and I signed up for emails etc and I get $50 off a purchase which would bring one of the on sale drill presses down to $280 which I am thinking is a pretty good deal for a brand new machine. https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/D140 It has 80mm spindle travel, 1hp motor, 16speed etc etc ... I am fairly sure I would get decent use and longevity out of it. Just want confirmation from more experienced woodworkers !! (Although its always easy to spend other peoples money

For someone with a lathe, the only machine I would get before a drill press is a bandsaw.
    Same even for someone without a lathe.

Thanks Bob, I picked up a bandsaw at the same time I picked up the lathe, therefore by your rationale the only reasonable thing to do is buy a drill press. Can I quote you to the boss ?

Post #2 sums it up for me.
    Being able to drill holes in predictable directions is magic.

Possibly you call them bobbin sanders, we call them drum sanders regardless of size.
    I cut, carve and shape abalone shell inlay for my wood carvings.
    I sand broad flat or curved areas of my carvings. I can grind copper and steel with stones.
    I can hog the void waste wood out of a dish with a 25mm Forstner bit.

I'm running a dinky little 4-speed Ryobi with about 8"/20cm reach between
    the drill chuck axis and the tower.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would spend more money ($100/Ryobi)
    to get a drill that allowed me to work on broader, flatter/larger wood.

The one you have selected looks great. I miss the really low speeds for metal.
    Somehow, you need to make the table a whole lot bigger.

Personally I think the drill press is very handy. I use it to drill the holes in the pen blanks.

The bandsaw is the machine that I use the most so it is good that you already have one.

Mine is a pedestal drill press but not bolted to the floor as I have moved it on those rare occasions but do have couple of weights on the bottom.

I put a bolt in the chuck and use it as a pen press.
    Michael

Wood Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N View Post
    Thanks Bob, I picked up a bandsaw at the same time I picked up the lathe, therefore by your rationale the only reasonable thing to do is buy a drill press. Can I quote you to the boss ?

Be my guest, and while you are at it maybe remove the "Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk" from your posts, I know it annoys a few members.

I could not live life in my shed with out my drill press.
    It is not used all the time but when I do need it ,I'm glad for its company .
    It's like an old friend you don't here from them for ages.
    But when you do it's just like the last time.
    Worst case it makes a great coffee holder stand.

Thanks for the tip Bob, I never really noticed the "sent from ... " stuff. I will make sure to untick the annoying little box.
    I have just had email confirmation of my order for the Hafco drill press I linked to above, picking it up on the 12th, while the boss is in NZ with the kids. It will be a nice surprise for her when she gets back :$ !

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N View Post
    I am looking at a Hafco Pedestal Drill ... just one of the smaller ones as I am never going to be doing really heavy stuff and if I am drilling metal (which I doubt) its only going to be thin stuff.
    I bought my drill press just for woodworking too, but it is surprising how much metalwork I seem to be finding to do just in support of my woodwork projects.

Cheers

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Hey,

I am in the same situation. Looking for a pedestal DP for wood work and the occasional metal work.

I was actually looking at the D147 or D148 from HM. or maybe something totally different ?

Any advice ?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by Upsy View Post
    Hey,

I am in the same situation. Looking for a pedestal DP for wood work and the occasional metal work.

I was actually looking at the D147 or D148 from HM. or maybe something totally different ?

Any advice ?

thx
    I can let you know how the little one I am looking at works out in a couple of weeks !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds good !

by the little one you mean the bench top or the D147 ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast