Thread: SCMS Choice

Default SCMS Choice

Hi All,

I have read most of the threads on the various models of SCMS, and with new models/upgrades coming out all the time thought that I would ask here, just in case I have missed something.

Looking for a SCMS for (hopefully) furniture making for private use, and need something with good accuracy.

The parameters/criteria is as follows:
    1. Something <$1000, and I have been leaning towards either Bosch or Makita. But am open to other brands.
    2. Realistically I think that 10" would be suitable, however 12" would encompass future use.
    3. It will be stationary on a 900 mm wide bench, so a stand would not be required and rear space would not be an issue.
    4. Accuracy is important. I would love a Kapex, but the budget just does not stretch that far!

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    4. Accuracy is important. I would love a Kapex, but the budget just does not stretch that far!
    I hear your pain George.

I have a Kapex 120, and recently I've been exposed to (and used) some others, mainly Makita. I must stress that they weren't recent models, but there was just no comparison. Even little things like the time it takes to clamp the job (Kapex is a super-quick cam lock). If I had my time again I would go for the less expensive Kapex 88 (saving over $450). I never use the laser on mine (prefer to cut to a line), I doubt that I'll want to cut crown mouldings. I forget what the third difference is but I was pretty sure I could live without it.

I'm still using a 27mm DE hose, but will be changing to a 36mm very soon. Even with the 27mm the DE is pretty good. The cuts are just brilliantly smooth. I changed to an 80 tooth blade and a lower speed. Now, I get no burning, absolutely minimal chip out at the back of the cut and an insanely smooth cut.

G'arn, it's only $400 over budget and you'll never regret it.......you know the mantra......

Cheers
    Brett
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

+1 for Makita.
    Whatever you get, make sure it has a single piece fence like the Makita. Trying to get both parts of a two piece fence (such as on a Hitachi) square and level to each other is one of the most painful jobs on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    +1 for Makita.
    Whatever you get, make sure it has a single piece fence like the Makita. Trying to get both parts of a two piece fence (such as on a Hitachi) square and level to each other is one of the most painful jobs on the planet.
    Thanks Elan, I notice that you wrote that somewhere else as well and have taken it on board.

Any suggestion of what model of Makita to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    G'arn, it's only $400 over budget and you'll never regret it.......you know the mantra......
    Still trying to get me in trouble Brett?

I know in the long run that I won't regret it, however, the secret is in surviving long enough to enjoy it.

And just for the record, I am walking a fine line here with tools etc as I still have to pay for some H&S chisels and a load of timber from QLD, that may/may not have gone under the radar.

Can't really help on model, the last one I used was a 10" at TAFE (pretty sure it was the LS1016) and we have a Hitachi at work (hence the fence comments), but I'd skip the laser unless you're going to be doing lots of compound cuts.
    I'm in the 'buy the biggest/best you can get away with' camp, so if you can future-proof your shed with a 12" then go for it, but even the 10"ers have a pretty generous cut size.

I have had a few makitas but now use a dewalt 12 " .
    As a fit out chippy I believe the dewalt a more robust unit and the mitre lock is more durable and accurate. Can't comment on other brands as I haven't used them.
    Cheers Jim