Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default jacobs keyless chuck

I recall others having trouble with keyless chucks by jacobs but I thought i'd try one anyhow.
    Worked well until bit jammed on breakthrough and ruined the chuck. So $140 down the drain pl;us the
    problem of removing it !!! I've never previously had any trouble with their keyed chucks. I hope this is just a one off.
    So who has the best KEYED chuck ???

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The consensus is that Albrecht chucks, keyed or keyless, are best. Some bandy around Rohm chucks as second best. I have used Rohm chucks for decades. They're good, no doubt. However, I recently upgraded my drill press and decided it was time to get an Albrecht. I braced myself for enormous prices but was pleasantly surprised to find that Albrechts are only about 25% more expensive than Rohm chucks. I paid in the mid to high $300s (each) for a 0.5-13mm keyless Albrecht and a 3-16mm keyless Albrecht. These chucks are not just 25% better or even 100% better. In my opinion, they are in a class of their own. The mechanism is "meaty", super smooth, and releases a bit with minimal effort. In short, I'm utterly blown away by them.

Blackwoods sells them. The importers are Precision Tooling down in Melbourne. Yes they cost a lot compared to standard Chinese/Taiwanese drill presses. Worth it though.

Sorry, I'll stop going on about them now....
    Warm Regards, Luckyduck

Default Keyless chucks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
    The consensus is that Albrecht chucks, keyed or keyless, are best. Some bandy around Rohm chucks as second best. I have used Rohm chucks for decades. They're good, no doubt. However, I recently upgraded my drill press and decided it was time to get an Albrecht. I braced myself for enormous prices but was pleasantly surprised to find that Albrechts are only about 25% more expensive than Rohm chucks. I paid in the mid to high $300s (each) for a 0.5-13mm keyless Albrecht and a 3-16mm keyless Albrecht. These chucks are not just 25% better or even 100% better. In my opinion, they are in a class of their own. The mechanism is "meaty", super smooth, and releases a bit with minimal effort. In short, I'm utterly blown away by them.

Blackwoods sells them. The importers are Precision Tooling down in Melbourne. Yes they cost a lot compared to standard Chinese/Taiwanese drill presses. Worth it though.

Sorry, I'll stop going on about them now....
    Thanks for that, LuckyDuck. I'll check Albrecht out at Blackwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Logman View Post
    Thanks for that, LuckyDuck. I'll check Albrecht out at Blackwoods.
    I'd be checking if you can find them elsewhere first, Blackwoods is notorious for overcharging.

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    I'd be checking if you can find them elsewhere first, Blackwoods is notorious for overcharging.
    Normally I would agree, but when I called the importers -- Precision Tooling in Melbourne -- they confirmed Blackwoods prices for the German made Albrechts. I ended up getting a deal for the chucks when I bought my press (from Parken Engineering). Not sure, they might extend a discount to you as well?

Also, I bought the integrated arbor versions as I wanted to eliminate any chance of runout with the arbor, and did not require the added flexibility of changing arbors for using the chuck in different machines. I don't know how much more expensive the integrated arbor versions are...?
    Warm Regards, Luckyduck

Default Keyless chucks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
    Normally I would agree, but when I called the importers -- Precision Tooling in Melbourne -- they confirmed Blackwoods prices for the German made Albrechts. I ended up getting a deal for the chucks when I bought my press (from Parken Engineering). Not sure, they might extend a discount to you as well?

Also, I bought the integrated arbor versions as I wanted to eliminate any chance of runout with the arbor, and did not require the added flexibility of changing arbors for using the chuck in different machines. I don't know how much more expensive the integrated arbor versions are...?
    Thanks again LuckyDuck. Much appreciated.

No worries! If you end up with an Albrecht, I'd love to know what you think.
    Warm Regards, Luckyduck

Default jacobs chuck

I certainly will !!!