Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thank you Keith. Yes I did. The build thread is here on the forum if you would like to check it out.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/1949-reading-steam-freight-locomotive-142879

Bret

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Thank you Keith. Yes I did. The build thread is here on the forum if you would like to check it out.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/1949-reading-steam-freight-locomotive-142879

Bret
    Hi Bret,

Your build of the loco is absolutely fantastic - congratulations. Something to think about when the Peny-Darren is complete. Are the plans comprehensive with lots of detail ? I am drawing up my own plans for every component from a miniature plastic kit of the Peny-Darren. Am measuring and enlarging X 5 of every component in the kit and then drawing it up. This the gives me a working template. By multiplying by 5 - I brings it up to 1/5th scale of the prototype 1804 locomotive. Part of the enjoyment is drawing up the components. There is also a fair bit of info on replica locos of the Peny- Darren on the internet which helps with the design of my model.

Regards

Keith

Finished the final gear of the drive train today. The gear on the top right hand side is driven by the main steam piston which in turn drives the idler and then the gears on the loco wheels. The wheels on the flywheel side are free wheeling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

That my friend is a work of art!!!

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    That my friend is a work of art!!!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Just stated on he flywheel. It is pretty BIG. Will post a photo tomorrow - hopefully.

Keith

great job on the all the gears and wheels, have you ever thought about making wooden clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    great job on the all the gears and wheels, have you ever thought about making wooden clocks.
    Hi,

No - wouldn't know how to go about it. I am over gear making for the moment at least.

Regards

Keith

Have a look at this then Keith

Clock1.pdf

What a project that clock would be!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Have a look at this then Keith

Clock1.pdf
    WOW, That is tempting. Maybe next project ??? But don't know whether I am up to it. Would need to consider making a special tool for gear cutting I think. Thanks for the post.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hogan View Post
    WOW, That is tempting. Maybe next project ??? But don't know whether I am up to it. Would need to consider making a special tool for gear cutting I think. Thanks for the post.

Keith
    Hello Keith, I made that clock about 6 or 7 years ago, a good one to learn on but you have to wind the weight up 3 times a day.
    You have done very well cutting gears with a coping saw , a credit to you. John.

Quote Originally Posted by nine fingers View Post
    Hello Keith, I made that clock about 6 or 7 years ago, a good one to learn on but you have to wind the weight up 3 times a day.
    You have done very well cutting gears with a coping saw , a credit to you. John.
    Thanks John,

How long did it take you to make ? It looks very time consuming.

Regards

Keith

Here is the flywheel. It is 480mm diameter. I thicknessed down 2 boards of pine to 15mm thick and then glued them (butted together). I then cut the outside with bandsaw and internally with jigsaw. I then dowelled the join at the spoke in 2 places so the butt join won't fail. I then filed and sanded and sanded and sanded. I have placed the gear I finished yesterday in photo for size comparison.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hogan View Post

Keith
    That is possible Keith. A router bit and an indexing wheel methinks and you would be on your way.

Hi All,

Haven't been posting any items as had to help my son move house. Have done a bit of work on the Peny-Darren though. I was not happy with the wheels I had made. I have made new wheel rims for the drive and trailing wheels. I should finish them off tomorrow and will take and post some photos. The new design required me to cut rims for both sides of each wheel, glued them on and then fill with a filler. This will give a much more professional looking finish. This has probably added an extra 10 hours work but doesn't matter if you are happier with outcome. As said, will post photos tomorrow.
    I have also started on the frame of the boiler. The boiler covering will be made of 9 inch heavy duty PVC water pipe. The only issue is that 9 inch water pipe measures 250mm OD and that is 25mm larger than the scale I want, I have experimented and worked out that if I cut 78mm out of the circumference of the pipe and then clamp the pipe around my frame end secure each of the cut ends to my frame base (butted to each other) the OD of my boiler will be 225mm. Hopefully tomorrow will be a successful day. It take a fair bit of trial and error to get things o a stag where you think they can work. Rambling on a bit but will see what happens.

Keith

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast