Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Dallas,

Thank for your efforts in looking this up for me - however, Derek has shamed me into making the blowdown valve myself (thanks Derek - I should have made that decision originally).

Been working on the front end of the boiler today - no photos today but should get some decent photos tomorrow. Today was lots of design work and measuring to make sure everything fits. The main piston protrudes just above the top of the boiler and is supported by 2 secondary shafts each side of the piston.

Keith
    I was only joking

Just found this you may have suppliers on your side of the world

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/redirect.asp?CatID=6

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/r...t.asp?CatID=37

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    I was only joking

Just found this you may have suppliers on your side of the world

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/redirect.asp?CatID=6

http://www.steamfittings.co.uk/asp/r...t.asp?CatID=37
    Mate,

I know you were only joking. Thanks for your comments and looking up the information for me - really appreciate it. I am happy with how the Peny-Darren is going - the valve is a long way down the track (sorry for the pun). Your Thomas the tank is looking great.

Have a great day over there. 10.45pm here.

All the best

Keith.

Mate,

I know you were only joking. Thanks for your comments and looking up the information for me - really appreciate it. I am happy with how the Peny-Darren is going - the valve is a long way down the track (sorry for the pun). Your Thomas the tank is looking great.

Have a great day over there. 10.45pm here.

All the best

Keith.
    Thank you Keith and your most welcome I have an interest in live steam although I don't own one would love too, just finished mowing the lawn still got all afternoon to work in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Thank you Keith and your most welcome I have an interest in live steam although I don't own one would love too, just finished mowing the lawn still got all afternoon to work in the shed.
    Hi Derek,

I have a couple of live steam G scale locomotives although not set up on outside track at the moment. That is one of my future plans. I originally had an electric G Scale setup in the backyard but he conductivity through the track in the salt air atmosphere was poor so I pulled it down and got another workshed put up. I will take some photos of the live steam locos and post them. The live steam works well. Runs at about 80 psi (one of the locos has a pressure gauge).

Have a good day.

Keith

Here are the photos of my live steam G Scale locomotives. Have also attached some photos of the G Scale diorama I made up in my shed a few years back. I modelled 1920's American. Now I am retired I don't have time to do this "fiddly" stuff.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Today I worked on the front of the boiler. Made the firebox with an opening door and catch. Put the flange on for the smoke stack. The second photo shows where the elbow of the stack will be placed. I have made up gaskets for all the flanges out of 3mm MDF (as I did for the back boiler plate). Tomorrow I will probably look at securing the back section of the front boiler plate t the boiler.

Keith

Thumbs up

Love those locos Keith!!

When I was about 11 or 12 my older brother bought a donkey engine from Hobbyco.

The fuel for this, we later found out, was metaldehyde!! Very poisonous and used in snail bait!!

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Love those locos Keith!!

When I was about 11 or 12 my older brother bought a donkey engine from Hobbyco.

The fuel for this, we later found out, was metaldehyde!! Very poisonous and used in snail bait!!
    Yes, we accidentally killed our dog with snail bait about 35 years ago, pretty lethal. These live steamers run on butane. You can buy the refills in cans about the size of a spray paint can. The biggest hassle was getting the proper steam oil that is needed to be added to lubricate the drive pistons. I ended up getting a litre from Sydney. The loco will run for about 10 minutes on a full tank of water and gas. I will need to lay my track outside.

Keith.

Really smart loco Keith and you say you can not do fiddly any more well you are doing a great job on this build.

The steam units in model boats where designed that the gas run out before the water so no chance of blowing them up.

Secured the front boiler plate to the boiler and then I did a bit of painting. I am ecstatic about how this first bit of painting has come up. It looks just like grey cast iron. I used a charcoal grey satin water based acrylic in a sample pot from Bunnings. Costs about $6 for approximately 300ml. I used a small round brush and kept dabbing the paint on. When nearly dry dab again and you will get the mottled effect that looks like cast iron. I have attached photos of both front and back end of boiler and also a photo with the firebox open. A good day today !!

Keith

Now that you have some paint on, leaving the bolts & nuts unpainted definitely gives it definition and scale.

Cant wait to see it all finished
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    Now that you have some paint on, leaving the bolts & nuts unpainted definitely gives it definition and scale.

Cant wait to see it all finished
    Totally agree about leaving bolts unpainted. Still lots of work to do. Metaland is out of stock of some 25mm and 40mm aluminium solid round. Hopefully not for long. I have to make up the crankshafts as well. I am going to make pillow block type bearing supports on each end of the 2 crankshafts. This will take a bit of time but should improve the look dramatically. Thanks for your comments.

Keith

A good day today !!

Keith
    I would say you had a brilliant day that is looking great

Very nice, indeed!

Very nice, indeed!

However, I am going against the grain here and change my mind about the bolts. Keep in mind this is just my opinion and please don't take offense. But now that I see it painted, I think the bolts should painted, only because I think they would have been on the real thing. It would have help prevent rust and made the makers life easier. I could be all wrong on this, I don't know about old trains. Either way it is awesome work and looking great.

P.S. Don't listen to me, I can't even make a correct post here. I don't know how I posted twice Ah, well it is early in the morning and I have only had one cup of coffee.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast