Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

I think the bolts painted are closer to the original as they would have been. They stand out just as well in the last photo's you posted

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think it looks great!

Today has been a frustrating and repetitious day. The time had come to make the main sub assembly chasis and check that all the drive gears mesh correctly. Had to make support saddles in the correct curvature of the boiler. Made up side plates and then check that the gears mesh. You learn by your mistakes. Up until 2.00pm I was trying to align the 4 gears in the normal vertical position. Pretty difficult. Then it dawned on me - put it on it's side and check with gravity holding the gears in position. I modified the chasis 6 times to get to this stage. I can now mark out where the wheel axles will pass through the chasis. I will make up pillow block bearing to support the axle at each wheel. Each bearing will have lubrication points fed from the pump on the main gear / flywheel shaft. I am pretty annoyed at myself (that is being polite) for not thinking of lying the boiler on it's side until late this afternoon.
    Attached photos how the gears sitting in location on the chasis and in mesh.

Have a good day.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can't be to annoyed with yourself when it looks like that!
    Very nice work Keith.
    Keep it up mate really great stuff.

Trev.

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Repliconics View Post
    You can't be to annoyed with yourself when it looks like that!
    Very nice work Keith.
    Keep it up mate really great stuff.

Trev.
    Exactly..... well said Trevor..... It looks real deal Keith.... Cheers, crowie

A better view of gears in mesh. Hopefully will secure axles on chasis tomorrow.

Keith

You know how awesome that looks!!! It might make you less frustrated with yourself, if you knew I spent all day yesterday just building a little box to put a pen in. Took me all day!!! Just a little box!!!! So, quit felling frustrated and let's get back to work on your engine, it is a whole lot more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    You know how awesome that looks!!! It might make you less frustrated with yourself, if you knew I spent all day yesterday just building a little box to put a pen in. Took me all day!!! Just a little box!!!! So, quit felling frustrated and let's get back to work on your engine, it is a whole lot more interesting.
    Yes it is Ok to be frustrated with yourself, particularly when you know you are learning something. It is much better being frustrated like this than when I was frustrated at work in the (good / Bad ?) old days and it was someone else's doing. Anyway hope your pen box came out well - I'm sure it did.
    Have a good day.

Keith

Pretty frustrating day today. Made up the axles to support the wheels. Design was to run through chasis and support each wheel, BUT the axle is impeded by the boiler. If I alter heights gears won't mesh. Have worked out a new design. Will now make up 4 stub axles - one for each wheel. Today's design flaw will probably cost me 8 to 10 hours - but suppose it doesn't matter.
    With the wheel I had to ensure bores were at 90 degrees to wheel so the sit on axle without a wobble. My lathe hasn't big enough swing to take the wheel and machine bore. I used my plunge router to get a 90 degree bore. Turned up aluminium bushes, fitted to wheels and then inserted axles. (This is before I realised I have to change axle design) Time on this not lost because bore on wheels had to be done anyway.

Keith

Thumbs up

Keith, this is wonderful mechanical artistry!!!

I am very confident that you will overcome the axle problem Keith. When you routed out for the bearing how did you centre the router was it a pointer fitted in the collet then clamp and change to the correct router bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    I am very confident that you will overcome the axle problem Keith. When you routed out for the bearing how did you centre the router was it a pointer fitted in the collet then clamp and change to the correct router bit.
    Derek,

It was very basic. I marked out the centre of the wheel and measured the diameter of the router bit. I then made witness marks on the wheel where the edge of the router bit would come to for it to be centred. I then kept manually tuning the router bit until it was dead centre to all marks and then I clamped and did a plunge rout. My router is very basic with no accessories other than a bit set I bought. Probably took 10 minutes each hole to confidently centre.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Today's design flaw will probably cost me 8 to 10 hours - but suppose it doesn't matter.
    Keith
    Isn't this the clock you work by anyway?

who-cares-retired-clock-black.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    Isn't this the clock you work by anyway?

who-cares-retired-clock-black.jpg

You are spot on Dallas.

When are you retiring ?????

Really good day today. Bit of design work and re-assessment.

Made up my 4 stub axles out of aluminium. Turned in my metal turning lathe. Had to ensure lengths were spot on so the flywheel gear and wheel gears were aligned and the free wheeling wheels on the other side of the boiler were equi-distance from the centre of the boiler (make sense ?).
    I drilled and tapped each axle to allow a securing bolt to be used at a later date. I modified the chasis to allow the axle head to be counterbored in the chasis.
    It all works and gears mesh. The main idler gear has not yet been secured in the attached photos.

Keith

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast