+ 1 for the Lion
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Hi All,

I have finished the track for the locomotive and tender, I put down 5 coats of PVA / Water mix to ensure the ballast won't move. I have made it a 2 part track so it can be transported in the car. The sides of the track have been sprinkled with sieved dirt and then added a touch of green rubber (from my old HO Railway Modelling days) this simulates soil and grass on side of track. This has been adhered with PVA / Water mix. Rail clamps have been secured in position. Now back to the loco and tender for cleaning and any paint touchups. Derek suggested the 1838 Lion for my next build. I have contacted the Lion Historic Society in the UK and they have put me onto a Model shop in the UK who may have extensive plans.

Regards

Keith

Attachment 323670Attachment 323671
    Hi Keith

I'm a bit late to offer this, but I think it unlikely that the ballast you have represented is true to the period.
    It's more likely that the original track was laid on the ground without ballast and the space between the sleepers was filled to at least even with the top of the sleepers. At the time the Penny Darren went for its run, the track had been used for some time by horse or pony hauled wagons. These animals would need a relatively even track to walk on.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your comments, you are probably correct. I have seen some old photos that show what looks like ballast between the sleepers but I may be mistaken. Anyway, as has been discussed previously some things on my build may not be true to the task anyway - I have hexagon head bolts on my boiler plate and it was pointed out it probably should be square head. Running replicas in the UK are even running on standard railway track and have flanged wheels. I am really happy with my build and have used my ex model railway making skills in G scale, HO Scale and N Scale to try to bring a railway feel to the build.
    I look forward to completing my version of the Trevithick 1804 replica and progressing at a later date probably on the 1838 Lion.

Again thanks for your imput.

Keith

Purely for interest the horse drawn waggons where on track as you depicted in that it was like angle iron. They rested on granite blocks which where not joined to the opposite track so that the centre was clear of any obstruction for the horse to trip on.

Anyway your track looks great Keith Must be getting towards the finishing post soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Purely for interest the horse drawn waggons where on track as you depicted in that it was like angle iron. They rested on granite blocks which where not joined to the opposite track so that the centre was clear of any obstruction for the horse to trip on.

Anyway your track looks great Keith Must be getting towards the finishing post soon.

Thanks Derek,

Yes very close. Touchup stage now. Work around home and then hopefully your suggestion of the Lion.

Regards

Keith

Hi All,

IT'S FINISHED !!!!!!!

My build version of Richard Trevithick's 1804 locomotive is complete. It has taken nearly 6 months of pretty much continuous (except Hervey Bay trip) work out in the shed to complete. I am pretty happy with it. I really want to thank a number of inspiring members of the Forum who have given support throughout this build. I shouldn't mention names as I will probably miss people but, don't be offended if I miss some names - everyone's been great. Trev, Crowie, Derek, Dallas (Treecycle), Paul (PLD), Artme, Rwbuild and everyone else who has looked at my thread - THANKYOU !!!
    I might try and work out the hours and a list of materials - or maybe not - unsure.
    I am pretty convinced my next build will be the 1838 Lion (Titfield Thunderbolt) thanks Derek. I have to work around the house a bit for the next month or so but I will try to get something started in the Forum.

Attached are some photos. Again thanks to all. In "Finished 3" photo driver Joe is saluting in jubilation that it's finished.

Thanks and regards

Keith.Finished1.jpgFinished10.jpgFinished9.jpgFinished7.jpgFinished6.jpgFinished5.jpgFinished4.jpgFinished3.jpgFinished2.jpgFinished11.jpg

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Well done Keith, if you'd have made another length of track and angled the photo YOUR LITTLE TRAIN would look REAL straight out of 1804...

Anyways, as a model in a show it'd get a FIRST PLACE PRIZE......again Keith, very well done, cheers Peter

I think Peter has summed it up perfectly, take a bow mistro

The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    I think Peter has summed it up perfectly, take a bow mistro

Yep another panel of track would help Driver Joe steam off into the distance. (Perhaps a panoramic panel will create the illusion.)

Top marks from me.

Congratulations Keith a great build from start to finish.
    I've enjoyed every minute of it.
    The quality of your work is without question!

Hopefully it wont be to long before the Lion is prowling the forum

Cheers mate
    Trev.

A very big thank you for showing us you magnificent build and I for one have enjoyed every minute. I certainly look forward to the next build.

At the moment I am doing quite a bit of turning as I want to try and do some craft fairs(some of which I have posted in the appropriate section of the forum) that is why I have not built anything for the toy section.

It looks fantastic Keith. The last stages seemed to happen very quickly. I am looking forward to seeing it in real life.
    Congratulations on your appearance on the Lion site. You should be proud.
    Dallas

Thank you Treecycle for bringing this to our attention

Quote Originally Posted by Treecycle View Post
    Congratulations on your appearance on the Lion site. You should be proud.
    A second congratulations are in order Keith.

HERE is a link to that article on the Lion site

Darn, the only thing wrong with this build is that it is finished!! Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into it, and including us in it. I can't wait until you start the next one. I looks like it will be just as interesting.

GREAT WORK, GREAT BUILD~~~!!
    Paul
    S.E. Washington State, U.S.A.

My scrolling: https://imgur.com/a/f2Fj8

Hi all,

A special thanks to all those who have commented on the completion of my locomotive. It has been a great learning curve for me and I think the most important is that there is no real time constraints (probably is if you are still working - that comment for you Dallas). If you make a mistake , learn from it and redo the item. I have gained a tremendous respect for Richard Trevithick. Even though an avid train enthusiast I am sad to say I had never heard of him before commencing this build. He was a hero of steam. The great thing about working in this Forum is the research you do and learn so much new information. The research also leads to gaining new friendships - again thanks. Anyone who wants to read about Richard Trevithick - a book on him called - Richard Trevithick - Giant of Steam - by Anthony Burton - Aurum Press Ltd is available.

Again thanks

Keith