Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Project Help....

Hey guys. Im doing a project for school and have hit a pretty big issue. Im already 1/2 way through the folio (theory work) of the project so i cant change the entire project, but i can change how it works, etc. So im trying to build a horizontal desk hutch, and one of the problems im facing is that the computer that will be used with it is not adjustable. If i was to use it like the pic shown but on top it would be way toooo high for ergonomics, so i build like an adjustable stand in the back and the stand will pop out the back. Problem with this it is still way to high, and i cant go any much lower because the bottom of the iMac will hit the top of the hutch bit. Anyone got any ideas? Please? ThanksScreen Shot 2014-04-08 at 1.54.47 pm.png

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi and welcome.

Could you post a drawing of the entire hutch, with some dimensions please? That'll make it easier to get a feel for the whole project.
    One thing I thought of; is it possible for the iMac to sit on the outside of the hutch, in it's own bracket or "box" attached to the hutch. This would give you more room for the monitor to move. It also would make access to the iMac more ergonomic.

Regards,

Rob

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.04.00 pm.png

So this is what i was first intending on it looking like. But upon drawing it up in sketchup, the monitor would be way to high. So i came up with the next idea.

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.04.46 pm.png

To solve the issue described above, so the middle compartment, in the back is a set of shelves that the imac can sit on, and the stand goes through the back. So with this at the right height, the iMacs bottom, the grey part, sits at the top of the hutch like it is in the photos. One i dont like the look and secondly its not very functional.

Any ideas guys. The design can still be changed, it just needs to incorporate those two compartments which are either a drawer or a flip up door for storage.

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.04.00 pm.png
    This is what i was intending on the project first looking like. But when i drew it up on kstechup, the imac sits way to high. So i came up with the idea below.

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.04.46 pm.png
    Basically, that middle compartment, in the back consists of a set of shelves that the stand of the iMac would sit on and the stand come up the back. The problem with this is, even at the right height, the iMacs bottom (the grey part) would sit way to close (almost flush) with the top of the hutch. So im lost for ideas.

Here is a photo of something that looks like what i want to build and uses a similar screen - but the screen looks way to high to be honest.
    ladder.jpg

OK so the design is for a 'hutch' which will sit on top of a desk. Your idea was then to sit the iMac on top of it like a monitor stand, only the iMac is a big unit and designed to sit on the same level as the keyboard.

The design you have isn't really suitable for the iMac, so you have two options: change the design or lose the iMac. It would work fine for a normal monitor stand. It's actually better for you to have the monitor higher so you're not looking down at it (say's I as I slouch back in my chair and look down at mine).

I don't think cutting a hole in it to make the iMac fit is a great idea. It looks like an afterthought, which I suppose is exactly what it is.

Probably the only thing you can do is make it wrap around the iMac, so you basically have a cut-away in the unit big enough for the iMac to sit in. You will lose a lot of your storage area though, assuming that you are restricted on overall width.

The thing I don't like about ideas like that is what do you do when you get a bigger iMac? But it's probably your only option if you want to retain the desktop set up and the iMac.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

See your right on! For my project is has to have some form of sustainability, which in my case is the life span of the deks hutch even if the client decides to upgrade. I just mocked this up them in skup, not sure i like it though. Any ideas?
    It works though and its the right height.
    Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 5.51.26 pm.png
    I dont mind it. I just need some way of making that middle section seamless and join the two compartments nicely. I dont like how it looks like a step down, and find a way to utlize the space.

You could cut the top out all the way around the iMac and make the unit taller, so the compartments wrap around it. The top can come down in width to 75mm or so behind the iMac (between it and the wall), which would give you somewhere to hide cables. Then you could make the compartments double the height so you get back some storage space. Make the top nice and curvy and it would look good.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Its a good idea i just would rather it stay horizontal thats all. I think im a bit stuck now..... Trying to come up with a innovative solution to it. Hmmmmm....... Could always lose the bottom flat part, thats losing 16mm and lose a bit of height of the compartments aswell....

Slot the top of the hutch to take the screen. The divisions will support it when it is dropped into the slot. If slot is only cut to about two thirds of the thickness of the top of the hutch, say 13mm, the screen would require a back support, This could be either thin rod in an inverted U shape or from timber in a decorative shape to suit.

Yea i though of that as well. All possibilities. Bit stuck.

Personally, I think that last design you posted is your best option. I think it looks fine, fits your brief, and is a lot more flexible than a slot would be.

Maybe you could build the top using bent lamination. That would look neat.

You could get a taller chair and also raise the keyboard.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    Looks like you're in a bit of a pickle. I'm with silentC - I reckon the last pic you posted is the best way around it, (short of taking my initial advice).
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Haha, thanks anyway mate. I just going to have to roll with it. Kinda stuck and been thinking about it for weeks, still can come up with anything super fancy.