Default Andy's Toy Repair

I was in the shop doing a small repair on an item for the 64' Chevy Stepside and also working on some hanging cabinets for the big garage. I haven't worked in my wood shop according to my log since October of last year. Yikes. Well I kept looking up above a tool cabinet at all the broken wooden toys I have made that have been patiently waiting to be fixed for at least a 1 1/2 years. Andy keeping telling me if you get them down I will fix them.

I little side note. Andy is Handy's twin brother. He is currently working at the Crowe residence for Peter. (Crowie). Andy was born 1 minute later than Handy but shares the same passion for woodworking and toys as Handy.

So I pulled down the 48' Ford Monster truck and Andy went to work on it. The front axle was broken in two and the cow catcher looked like it was chewed by a canine resident of the house.
    Well he managed to flip it upside down. Not sure how. Maybe he has a crane hidden somewhere in the shop or he is Supersmurf.

After fixing the axle he started on the cow catcher. Fortunately I only glued the horizontal bars on one side so he was able to saw that side loose and push them out the side that wasn't glued and then he took it over to the drill press and drilled out the side that was glued using the other side as a guide

Next up was the mounting rods at the bottom. Drilled out the broken one and made a new one. Also cut and put the new horizontal bars in. Back on the truck just needs the bottom rod sanded smooth.

The Log truck had both of its rear axles wiped out completely. Fortunately after Andy rooted around in the parts drawer he found a spare axle block that he could cut in two and make two new axles. Also found a spare pair of mudguards if we ever need them.

This is the second or third time to repair this bumper.

Andy having fun in the parts drawer. The axle stock is right in front of him. He kept telling me we need to use up all the wheels in the drawer.

New axles cut and drilled

A quick mockup. The lowboy trailer is the only thing that came out unharmed.

The truck also has a broken stack and an air cleaner missing. To be continued.
    2 repairs down...2 to go

Bret

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Next up was the Big Rig from the Great book of wooden toys. It suffered some major cab damage. A broken smoke stack and a tandem wheel that was beyond repair. Andy somehow got it mounted in the vise vertically for the cab repair. Man this little blue guy is strong. I need to find out what he eats for breakfast.

And the last thing I had him work on was repairing the Mark IV Rocketship. Last week while pounding on something on the workbench it fell off the back onto the floor. I said a few words I can't mention here! It only broke off one fin and it was a clean break at the glue line. So that same day I glued back on. I had it sitting the vise with the fins pointing out. I came around the corner of the bench and my t-shirt caught one of the fins and sent it hurling to the ground again and this time it broke all 4 fins off. UGH!!! But Andy said it was no problem and he fixed it and you can't even tell what happened. I like this little guy.

Well that is is for tonight. Til the next installment...

Bret & Andy

G'day Bret.

Handy and Andy are quite a pair, aren't they? More industrious than me. I've got lots of little things that need doing but keep getting put off.

Re the chewed cow-catcher/bull bar, I don't have to worry about dog damage these days - my old boy has almost no teeth left. I almost need to cut up his food for him.

(The repairs look good, by the way.)
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Supersmurftastic in so many ways

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default One can only smile.....Back in the shed on the toymakers bench....welcome back Bret!!

One can only smile when reading this toy workshop repair story that you've put together Bret....
    Toys are to be played with and your boys have certainly tested this lot BUT as you've so capability shown; they for the most are repaired when made of timber..
    NOW you've caught by surprize to hear the Handy has a twin Andy.....
    I see that both have come from the same mould so to speak; damn good hard workers & inspiration...
    I can't wait for the next installment, top job Bret.
    Cheers, crowie.....

Glad you have managed to get into the wood workshop Bret even if it is only to supervise Andy or use the machines, we would not like to see the little guy sucked in and then spat out in pieces

Andy sends his thanks for your compliments Gents.

For today's work he got all the rigs in good working order and they moved on down the road.

New wheel for big rig. The one from the parts bin fit but didn't look the part.

Wheel mounted on the rig and ready to go down the road. Also remounted the smoke stack.

He called on his cousin named "Painter" to put a couple of coats of poly on the brush guard.

And I caught him in the act and found out how he was moving the trucks around. His Uncle Hefty.

New axles glued and mounted on the Log truck

Smoke stack glued back on. Just need to make a new air cleaner and fit it.

Air Cleaner getting some poly

Everything fixed and the Trucks heading down the road. Good luck!

I hope you all enjoyed Andy's work. He is a motivational little guy even if he is really small. You may notice in the bottom photo some scale plans. I found him on the computer this afternoon printing out to scale drawings of the body for the 32' Ford. I guess he wants me to start back on it again. We shall see....

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
    Andy sends his thanks for your compliments Gents.

For today's work he got all the rigs in good working order and they moved on down the road.

New wheel for big rig. The one from the parts bin fit but didn't look the part.

Wheel mounted on the rig and ready to go down the road. Also remounted the smoke stack.

He called on his cousin named "Painter" to put a couple of coats of poly on the brush guard.

And I caught him in the act and found out how he was moving the trucks around. His Uncle Hefty.

New axles glued and mounted on the Log truck

Smoke stack glued back on. Just need to make a new air cleaner and fit it.

Air Cleaner getting some poly

Everything fixed and the Trucks heading down the road. Good luck!

I hope you all enjoyed Andy's work. He is a motivational little guy even if he is really small. You may notice in the bottom photo some scale plans. I found him on the computer this afternoon printing out to scale drawings of the body for the 32' Ford. I guess he wants me to start back on it again. We shall see....

Bret
    Well done to my twin Andy from Handy; Peter got me up from the damp shed and showed me your efforts......
    It was such a thrill to see my brother helping out with Bret and the toys in his woodwork shop....
    And to see the cousins helping out too, makes a smurf feel good inside...

Hey Bret, who are the bods in the background of these two photos; one's on his help and the other looks bloke like???

Cheers Handy and crowie.....

PS - Crowie is looking forward to seeing you getting back into the woodwork and a FORD to boot, he's excited.....Handy....

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    Well done to my twin Andy from Handy; Peter got me up from the damp shed and showed me your efforts......
    It was such a thrill to see my brother helping out with Bret and the toys in his woodwork shop....
    And to see the cousins helping out too, makes a smurf feel good inside...

Hey Bret, who are the bods in the background of these two photos; one's on his help and the other looks bloke like???

Cheers Handy and crowie.....

PS - Crowie is looking forward to seeing you getting back into the woodwork and a FORD to boot, he's excited.....Handy....
    One is actually another Hefty different position. Oops not suppose to have two of the same. He needs a new name. How about Lefty!

The other bloke is Joe the mechanic. He is a Lego minifig. He has since retired to the Lego room. He felt out of place. He now feels better amongst his kin.

Bret

Thumbs up

Great set of posts Bret!! Like the sense of humour!!

Really neat toys.
    Glad to see they are actually being used.
    I noticed a train in the back round.
    Did you make it? Could you post a picture or two of it?
    Are there plans for it?

Quote Originally Posted by oneye View Post
    I noticed a train in the back round.
    Did you make it? Could you post a picture or two of it?
    Are there plans for it?
    oneye, here's a link to Bret's train WIP thread. Well worth a read. He did a fantastic job on the build: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/1949-reading-steam-freight-locomotive-142879
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    oneye, here's a link to Bret's train WIP thread. Well worth a read. He did a fantastic job on the build: https://www.woodworkforums.com/f201/1949-reading-steam-freight-locomotive-142879
    annt that the true....that train is awesome....

Thanks for the link.
    That train is awesome!
    Now i will have to get that plan and put it with the other 100 that i have for someday.
    Hope i live long enough to make them all.

Thank you guys for the compliments on my train. It was a very fun (aggravating sometimes) build. I would do it again though. I still need to build the 3 train cars for it but then I really wouldn't have any place to put it. That is why it has stayed on the workbench. I feel like it is safer out in the woodshop versus the house where one of the boys might get a hold of it.

Bret