Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I looked at the plans again and don't see a pattern for the face. Did you draw it yourself? You an artist also??

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The plans I used do not have a face as you can see But the train is very similar to "Thomas the Tank Engine"
    I found some pictures of it and worked from them

Poster_Thomas.pdf

Hope that helps I just hope I have not done "Thomas" an injustice with my carving

Thanks, looks to me the only thing missing is the eyebrows. Maybe they will be painted on. I think you did him great justice.

Derek,

Thanks for the plans on the first page (I missed them - maybe something to do with my age or eyesight) Have printed them out. Your Thomas the Tank is looking great.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Derek,

Thanks for the plans on the first page (I missed them - maybe something to do with my age or eyesight) Have printed them out. Your Thomas the Tank is looking great.

Keith
    You are welcome Keith

Been in the shed and glueing up some of the bits on money boxes and also turned a bowl which i still need to apply a finish.

Quote Originally Posted by PLD View Post
    Thanks, looks to me the only thing missing is the eyebrows. Maybe they will be painted on. I think you did him great justice.

Not a lot done to the train but did manage to carve out the eye brows which I forgot about getting away with myself.

Have stuck the face on with double sided tape just for the photo, if you look you will see that the face round is slightly larger than the boiler this will be brought flush when it has been glued. Also in the second photo you may see where I filled the original axle holes and re-drilled them in the correct place

DSCF3221.jpgDSCF3220.jpg

I am really liking this build of yours. That face looks even better mounted there. Hmmm, I have a 3 year old grandson....

Thumbs up

Looking really good Derek!!!

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    You are welcome Keith

Been in the shed and glueing up some of the bits on money boxes and also turned a bowl which i still need to apply a finish.

Not a lot done to the train but did manage to carve out the eye brows which I forgot about getting away with myself.

Have stuck the face on with double sided tape just for the photo, if you look you will see that the face round is slightly larger than the boiler this will be brought flush when it has been glued. Also in the second photo you may see where I filled the original axle holes and re-drilled them in the correct place

DSCF3221.jpgDSCF3220.jpg
    Are you sure you didn't do the original and are just doing another copy.......wow, first class work Derek, Cheers crowie

Derek,

Your train is looking great - well done !!!!

Keith

Just a quick note, the train is not forgotten I have been busy with other jobs like gardening, fixing the car and finishing the money boxes well nearly still have the finish and letter to do.

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Just a quick note, the train is not forgotten I have been busy with other jobs like gardening, fixing the car and finishing the money boxes well nearly still have the finish and letter to do.
    One needs a car to get the supplies so yes the car is a priority and with only a few hours a year of fine sunny weather, the garden deserves the attention plus those beaut little money boxes, well yes of course; there are little people awaiting a top handmade gift...all good Derek. Peter

Derek

I think my wife is on the brink of telling me I have to do that as well.

Keith

OK back to the train at last.

All that I have been doing to the train is glueing the cab unit and fitting the boiler support each piece needed a little fettling to get it to fit just right, most of the time it is just a couple of strokes with the sanding block.

Cab unit has dried and the boiler support assembly in clamps. Boy does my workshop need a tidy up it was clean and tidy (Honestly) 2 hours before this
    DSCF3266.jpg

Thumbs up

OK back to the train at last.

All that I have been doing to the train is glueing the cab unit and fitting the boiler support each piece needed a little fettling to get it to fit just right, most of the time it is just a couple of strokes with the sanding block.

Cab unit has dried and the boiler support assembly in clamps. Boy does my workshop need a tidy up it was clean and tidy (Honestly) 2 hours before this
    DSCF3266.jpg
    Can't make a cake without breaking eggs old mate!!

Thomas is looking terrific!!!

Well I am at the stage where it is starting to all come together.

Today's work on the train started with turning the 4 buffers and drilling the locating holes for them, first problem the train will not fit under the drill press by 1/2" so had to resort to a bit and brace. Measured the train just to see how long it is and it is 22"long.

Anyway stuck the buffers on also glued the face on left it most of the day before sanding the face around the edges to match the boiler diameter as I had left it very slightly over size. Next job will be to make the cab roof followed by the wheels and any other little bits I decide to add to it(so you think only women can change their minds).

Soon be onto the painting

2014-05-30 001 001.jpg2014-05-30 001 002.jpg2014-05-30 001 003.jpg2014-05-30 001 004.jpg2014-05-30 001 005.jpg2014-05-30 001 006.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast