Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Yet another cheap table saw question from someone with no idea. :)

I've started to become more interested in wood working this year and am thinking of buying a table saw. I know there's a lot of these posts, but as with many of them, I don't want to spend much money at all (are $200 would be nice).

99% of the projects I've been interested in doing are all small in scale (so making boxes, and smallish items) so I'd never need to cut any large stock on a table saw. I'd imagine all i'd ever use one for is making rip cuts on stock thats less than 1m,

So my question is - Would one of those very cheap table saws (ozito, 909 type of thing) work well enough for me to be able to cut things I'm currently unable to do with my hand tools. For example, trying to cut a 30mm strip from a 600mm long board is very difficult to get something even close to square when I tried using my circular saw.

I understand the fences are rubbish on the cheap saws - I can probably live with having to clamp a temporary fence down each time and always checking the blade is square. I'm just more concerned that the actual blade mechanism could cause issues with the cut on these cheap saws, which would defeat the purpose entirely.

Anyway, happy to listen to any suggestions from everyone who knows far more than me.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

With a $200 budget I would be looking for a used Triton or something similar rather that those cheap mini table top saws

Agreed. With that budget, secondhand gear should get you a better performer than something new. If you're willing (as it seems) to deal with something inaccurate, yet mechanically "stable", you might be surprised what you can pick up if you're patient.

As always though...by cheap, by twice But I of all people know where you're coming from. Although sometimes it's surprising what you can make a piece of crud do with a little attention and TLC (and clamps, glue, solder, welding, swear words and physical threats)
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Unfortunately, the smaller the item you make the more accuracy and precision is required to make it. Generally, small cheap saws have woeful accuracy. Big castiron saws are accurate. Go second hand or wait and save your money.
    Sorry to be a downer.
    Arron
    Apologies for unnoticed autocomplete errors.

Hey Monty, take my word for it, save up a little and grab something decent, look for bargains on fleabay or gumtree for sure but if you spend $100 - $200 you will just want (although you'll cry you need) to upgrade really quickly as you increase your attention hobby. Uneven cuts become really frustrating quickly and you can end up spending more in repairs and or new additions if you strive for the better cut. My first was a second hand triton work centre off gumtree (around $100), the fence left ALOT to be desired and I constantly had to adjust for that. That being said I would still use it except no tilt mechanism second was a liquidation sale rexon cast iron table job (about $100 again), I had no issues with the fence with it and found it very accurate except...... tilt mechanism is missing and I had no luck finding parts for it. Third is a cheap hafco model (round $250) not the worst by any means but the fence wont lock down and needs a clamp to hold it in place. So far I have spent $400 odd on table saws and am now saving for a good model.

Cheers
    Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Monty85 View Post
    I've started to become more interested in wood working this year and am thinking of buying a table saw. I know there's a lot of these posts, but as with many of them, I don't want to spend much money at all (are $200 would be nice).

99% of the projects I've been interested in doing are all small in scale (so making boxes, and smallish items) so I'd never need to cut any large stock on a table saw. I'd imagine all i'd ever use one for is making rip cuts on stock thats less than 1m,

So my question is - Would one of those very cheap table saws (ozito, 909 type of thing) work well enough for me to be able to cut things I'm currently unable to do with my hand tools. For example, trying to cut a 30mm strip from a 600mm long board is very difficult to get something even close to square when I tried using my circular saw.

I understand the fences are rubbish on the cheap saws - I can probably live with having to clamp a temporary fence down each time and always checking the blade is square. I'm just more concerned that the actual blade mechanism could cause issues with the cut on these cheap saws, which would defeat the purpose entirely.

Anyway, happy to listen to any suggestions from everyone who knows far more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy1 View Post
    Third is a cheap hafco model (round $250) not the worst by any means but the fence wont lock down and needs a clamp to hold it in place. So far I have spent $400 odd on table saws and am now saving for a good model.

Cheers
    Ash
    Thanks for the response. Based on your response and the ones above, i've been thinking a Triton could be the way to go. The Hafco you mentioned for $250 could be something though - you mentioned the fence required clamping down, but other than that was ok? A setup like that would be perfectly acceptable in my opinion...

Hey Monty,

This is a link to the model my wife got me http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W446 she got it when they had one of their three day sales on (after my bitching about uneven cuts) for $250 normally $275. My gripes with it are that the table comes in two parts and is a bit of a pain when they don't line up right, it is quite a flimsy design and the side and outfeed tables are bit rubbish. That coupled with the needing to lock down the fence make it a bit frustrating to use long term. However, it has been a great starter table for me and once I setup it up right it has given consistent cuts and best of all it tilts for my 45deg cuts. I will most likely go for their SB-12 model when I save the $$ for the upgrade as I found H&F (in brissy at least) to be very helpful and easy to deal with.

I hope this helps :

QUOTE=Monty85;1766122]Thanks for the response. Based on your response and the ones above, i've been thinking a Triton could be the way to go. The Hafco you mentioned for $250 could be something though - you mentioned the fence required clamping down, but other than that was ok? A setup like that would be perfectly acceptable in my opinion...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Monty85 View Post

Perhaps you don't need a table saw at all.

the Gifkins dovetail jig site used to have a link to the set-up Roger had attached to his drop saw so that he could accurately dimension small parts -- including ripping box sides to width.

here is the link to an old thread by a forumite who built a version of Roger's jig https://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/gifkins-scms-cutting-jig-30971
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post

the Gifkins dovetail jig site used to have a link to the set-up Roger had attached to his drop saw so that he could accurately dimension small parts -- including ripping box sides to width.

here is the link to an old thread by a forumite who built a version of Roger's jig https://www.woodworkforums.com/f44/gifkins-scms-cutting-jig-30971
    Hey Ian, are you asleep mate, what about that Triton you've got at Kennards? Heres your man!!!

Hi Rusty

I'm not asleep

Earlier in the evening I advised another forumite what my asking price was for the Triton.
    Got to give them time to digest and respond before I solicit another offer.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Thanks piggy1,

This doesn't look too bad actually - Would be spending a bit more than what I want to, but I suppose for something new that would also have a warranty I could probably deal with that.

Looks like it won't take up too much room either which is also a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy1 View Post
    Hey Monty,

This is a link to the model my wife got me http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W446 she got it when they had one of their three day sales on (after my bitching about uneven cuts) for $250 normally $275. My gripes with it are that the table comes in two parts and is a bit of a pain when they don't line up right, it is quite a flimsy design and the side and outfeed tables are bit rubbish. That coupled with the needing to lock down the fence make it a bit frustrating to use long term. However, it has been a great starter table for me and once I setup it up right it has given consistent cuts and best of all it tilts for my 45deg cuts. I will most likely go for their SB-12 model when I save the $$ for the upgrade as I found H&F (in brissy at least) to be very helpful and easy to deal with.

I hope this helps :

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post

wow that's an old thread!!

spend more. a good SCDS will cost a bomb (a big mak can cost a grand). always buy the best you can afford!
    Zed

I think you'll be disappointed mate. The trouble is while you can buy a better blade you'll never be able to control the runout of the arbour. That cheap stuff varies wildly in quality control so you may get an ok one and you may get a complete lemon.

Just to keep things in perspective, the last saw blade I bought for the table saw for doing small stuff and fine cuts was about $170.

Second hand triton is the go. I've built a number of kitchens on mine. They can be accurate, portable and with a decent quality circular saw the quality of cut can be really good.

I'd pretty much thrown in woodwork a few years ago because of crappy quality gear that drove me bananas. I hated having to use it so I never did. Now I've committed to decent gear I can't wait to start on the next project.

I have a Triton with the Incra LS system on it and can state that the Triton when set up right is an accurate set up. The big secret to the Triton is do the set up, do the set up, do the set up and you should be a ok. See the stuff I turn out with it and that was before the Incra system was set up. So just to say one more time, do the set up.

SB
    Power corrupts, absolute power means we can run a hell of alot of power tools

Just to be clarify Superbunny's point so nothing gets lost in translation.

I'd do the setup.

Think I've only ever done it twice on my Trition. First when it was new and then again about 6 months after that when everything had settled in. It's been good for <1mm accuracy ever since.