Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Caravan or Motor Home

My wife and I are at that stage in life where we are ready to start traveling for extended periods and I am looking for input from people as to the pros and cons of motor homes and caravans.

I'm not asking which is best as that is a personal choice, but I would like to hear of peoples experiences whilst traveling. Would you do anything different, go bigger/smaller? Were you restricted in going places because of vehicle choice?

Our current vehicle is a Ford BF wagon and we have a small Slingshot Camper which I took to Coober Pedy and the Ood Track last year. We also have a 15' Coromal Pop Top van. I would prefer to keep the Slingshot as it's perfect for short trips, but I don't like the van much as it's a pig to tow and I think a fifteen footer would be too small for extended trips.

Anyway, thoughts, opinions and suggestions welcome.

Coward Springs (Medium).jpgDay One (Medium).jpg
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Well I love my slide on, although relatively small it has toilet/shower and everything you really need, plus it is lightweight and allows me to tow something else.

The only area I have had issues with a long rig is in SA national parks, as their sites are more setup for foldout campers in most locations. Most caravan parks are fine, except those villages that are mainly filled with cabins anyway. Roadside stops and other grey nomads stops are also Ok.

Power and water are critical when trying to minimise costs whilst travelling to enable you to use the many free stops. So make sure you have plenty of water and generating ability on board.

Cheers
    Neil

I've travelled with caravan on the back of a motor home.

As for access I found my bus could go places a could not in a 2wd and even some 4wd would not have got there.

Ultimate choice for me.

Big motor home with big trailer / workshop that can park a smaller car in it for when we are hanging around somewhere and don't want to take the bus all the time.

It comes down to what luxuries you want, how accessible you want them to be, where you want to go and how long you might stay at a location plus the travel you might do from any given base.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

I've just bought a VW Trakka conversion last christmas. It has a pop-top, folding double bed, fourt seats, fridge, cooker, sink, 40 litres water. I've just installed 160 watt solar panels on roof. We have been getting into amazing places where you just can't go with a motorhome or a caravan. The only caravan park we have stayed in was in Moree so we could use the hot pools and we were surrounded by RVs that not only pay a couple of hundred per week for space but almost never get to see the outside of caravan parks. Another plus is being able to stop in pouring rain and not having to get out to set up. We just park and walk back into our little space and pop the top and cook dinner. So for me a campervan ticks all the boxes.

Got a friend with a motorhome (big one). and now tows a trailer behind it with a little car to use at places, the whole pack up when you want to go to shops or a walk around town or sightseeing from a central place is a pain.

Unless you can talk the missus into riding on the back of a motorbike that you can put inside for sightseeing trips.

Something like this perhaps?

Was camped at Campbell Town - Tas a few nights ago and this rocked up.

Plenty of space, even towed a full size Rodeo 4WD.

The ultimate for me would be a 5th wheeler, lots of space (some even have workshops at the back!) easy to tow and easy to set up.

As above, I wouldn't have a motorhome without towing a small car behind it.

Caravan towing with a sedan like a BA Falcon has whiskers on it, too light even for a 15 footer.

We tow our 19ft Jayco Heritage with a Hyundai Terracan (diesel), magic. Just finishing a month tour of Tassie, back on the Spirit of Tasmania this Thursday.

Oh and if you go travelling get a copy of the WikiCamps app (iPad and Android), best thing since sliced bread to find both free camps and caravan park, and get some opinions from other users. Best $4.99 I ever spent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big shed. I want the blue one

Van and motor home does not let me have my shop and car. I want to tow a double decker trailer behind a double decker.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Grumpy

I have a friend who is currently travelling with an Iveco van towing his caravan.
    The van has space for a small workshop plus his dirt and road bikes.

Have travelled a bit with a pop-top Hyace -- packing up to go anywhere is a real pain.
    Likewise would towing a car behind a Winebago

I really like the look of a 5th wheeler -- team it with a 4WD and a couple of swags and I recon you could go anywhere.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Been looking at the Mazda 5 cyl BT50. They're exxy, but get great reviews.
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Was camped at Campbell Town - Tas a few nights ago and this rocked up.

Plenty of space, even towed a full size Rodeo 4WD..
    Dam I wish I took a photo now, I had one camped beside me similar, only it also had a 3rd level pop top on the bus plus his trailer was a solid (enough for workshop and car ). He had a 500 l water tank and 250 l fuel tank from which he got only ~500-600 kms from, yes >50 l/100km

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Oh and if you go travelling get a copy of the WikiCamps app (iPad and Android), best thing since sliced bread to find both free camps and caravan park, and get some opinions from other users. Best $4.99 I ever spent.
    I 2nd that

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy John View Post
    Been looking at the Mazda 5 cyl BT50. They're exxy, but get great reviews.
    Yep, excellent for me, all up my setup fully loaded is 5.5t and I'm still averaging 14.5 l/100km max travelling via all the mountain ranges around Aus
    Neil

GJ, the BT50's got 'the tick' from a couple of well qualified family members.

As for motorhome v caravan, depends as well on your travel habits. We like setting up in one spot for a few days and getting to know the area on foot or by car so having a camp suits us.
    Cheers, Ern

Default Motor Home For Us.

Hi GJ,
    It was a long time ago now, but I bought a Toyota Coaster, '85.
    Has been done over with a 100HP. Isuzu Diesel Motor,
    Could almost spin the Wheels in 3rd. Gear.
    Yes, we used C/Parks, & if we needed something down the street, or if we had to pack up to leave, it took us 3 mins.
    You don't have any worries pulling a van behind, & we were always able to get a Parking Spot when in a Town. Didn't stick out to far when angled Parked.
    Had a Kawasaki 1400 ?? Generator, 4 Batteries, 3 way Fridge, Gas Cook Top.
    On cold mornings we wood light up the cook top, & in no time the Home was warm.
    Wife & I had a Ball, so Motor Home wood be my choice.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

I am glad I am not feeding that blue thing with fuel! As an ex truck driver it seems to me that I would not want something to big as around metro areas if you wrong slot the road it is a pain to turn around, been there and done that a few times. I have also heard of bigger units having trouble accessing caravan parks but that was some time ago so thing might have changed. I think a medium sized 4wd diesel van towing a caravan would be a very flexible arrangement. It is a pity the Sprinter van is not available as a 4wd, it is bullet proof and damned comfortable to drive long distances unlike the Jap vans.
    CHRIS

Chris parkes, the Sprinter is available as a 4WD in this country, has been for quite some years. I personally know of one fella who owns three ex QLD ambulance Sprinters 4WD.

I also believe that the new 4WD sprinter with genuine low range and possibly locking diffs, is now available in Australia.

Mick.

I could not see a 4wd version on the MB website so perhaps they are not a stock model for Oz. I just had another look and a 4wd does not appear, special order perhaps?
    CHRIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast