Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ed.. View Post
    Hi RustyArc, Personally I would not be using that size welder on steel that thick, you would be better off with about 250-280A and 0.9-1.2mm wire, if that unit is all you have then bevel the edge and multipass weld it and/or use 4mm MMA. Depending on what you are welding you might get away with it, but not if it was structural standard, even with those amps I mentioned I would still bevel the edge, if it isn't, then why use such thick steel?
    I think you've missed the point of the thread - to examine how a bead fails, not to make a structural connection. There's no way I'd use that weld for any kind of application.

I used those thick sections partly because they were at hand, and also because they may have revealed insufficient fusion to the base metal, something pretty common with MIG welds without enough heat.

For actual connections of that thickness of steel, I bevel one or both parts, do a root pass with the MIG then fill up the join with multiple passes of stick - if it's flat position, Ferrocraft 22 is a bit of a favourite.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ed.. View Post
    Hi RustyArc, Personally I would not be using that size welder on steel that thick, you would be better off with about 250-280A and 0.9-1.2mm wire, if that unit is all you have then bevel the edge and multipass weld it and/or use 4mm MMA. Depending on what you are welding you might get away with it, but not if it was structural standard, even with those amps I mentioned I would still bevel the edge, if it isn't, then why use such thick steel?

Regards

Ed.
    ED,
    I think you would be right- it is all thy have
    While the advice on settings and wire size for a given size of plate is quite correct, it should also be taken into account that normally many in our forum are using whatever they can get their hands on.
    Home/ diy circumstances are sometimes very different to whats available to we trade based welders or indeed those fortunate enough to have the budget for most circumstances.

Again at home we must balance on what we able to accomplish against the fitness for purpose of the project.

Acceptance of structural standards will vary widely from shop to shop and place to place.
    In the not too distant past, with welding inspector hat on, I knocked back nearly 20% of the conveyor frame work production of a extremely well known manufacturer- first time around.-total 500 units

The work was full of undersize weld,craters ,undercut ,rolled edges and inclusions.This was from tradesmen in a factory with the correct equipment consumables and procedures and allegedly- supervision.

In fact the welding samples produced here while not the Rolls Royce of welding quality do rank very favorably with the majority of the work examined as above and our blokes are beginning welders.

All I am saying is that for first efforts and what was used to produce them, these results are not too bad at all.

Grahame

I remember well the press jumping when a particularly strong weld was encountered. It has always concerned me that everyone thinks they can weld and they need proof that a good looking weld (to them) is not good enough. I have advised a number of people to get some training before they caused a serious problem but they don't get it and continue on their merry way. My welding teacher used to work for the old DLI in NSW and he showed us many photos of why bad welding has caused deaths, all of which he investigated at the time.
    CHRIS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12